Travel Insurance

Hi Jim

Yes i think this is ok. My bank gave me cover with my bank account but wanted £180 extra to cover pre existing. They did confirm that they are happy to cover any trips but not for the specific illness without charging extra. Here i would have to buy separate cover. Bear in mind however that the bulk of premium is for medical and cancellation cover so you might not save very much by cutting out the baggage cover etc.

Hi Paul

Thanks for that.Good to get advice from someone in the industry and was just wanting to make sure as I have been quoted a price for TI without the cover for pre existing conditions and a price for basic with cover for pre existing conditions,although another company said I couldn`t be covered by two TI :confused:

There are a number of companies out there that offer travel insurance without cover for baggage,money,delays,cancellations,they are optional

Will keep searching as I feel I have nothing life threatening that merits some of the quotes I`ve been given.As I have free TI with Nationwide without pre existing conditions(£80 premium for cover) just need to find something that covers my pre existing conditions for less than £80

if you hold an ehic card many insurers will waive any excess payable for pre existing medical conditions, if you are not travelling outside the european economic area

you will still have to inform the insurance company of pre existing conditions....many (not all....best to check) will waive the extra payment

Hi Geo,

I do hold an EHIC card but must say that none of the companies I have contacted so far have even mentioned the EHIC card or waiving any additional charge for pre existing conditions for having one.

Do you have any example companies who do waive the charge?

we have free cover from the bank which covers all members of our household, including my mil, mil is over 65 and does have a pre exsisting medical condition, because we all hold ehic cards when we travel within the eea no extra premium is payable to cover her condition....when we travel outside eea extra premium of £50 becomes due, per trip

For anybody who does have cover through Nationwide FlexAccount - you do need to flag up any historical conditions, no matter how minor, for their records.

They took details of Her Ladyship's mild asthma - no additional premium required.

Yes,I did this and was quoted £80 additional premium.Called them again yesterday incase there was some mistake but no.

So basically 1 tablet per day for Cholestrol(no high blood pressure) and a few painkillers per day for Osteo-arthritis is worth an extra £80 :eek: .They wont be getting my business

I have a nationwide flex-account giving me free european travel cover but I phoned them yesterday to increase my cover and was charged £120 as follows;

£20 to make my premium worldwide, including cruises

£30 to add my husband

£70 to add my husband's ischaemic heart disease; 4 medications

previously, this would have cost approx. £200 with Age UK.

with regard to declaring medications etc.; my answer is YES.my husband was hospitalised in France during which the above condition was discovered.We had lots of "lovely" phone calls from the Insurance Co. purely concerned about what it was going to cost them and, believe me, any excuse or chance of a pre-existing conditions would have made them very happy.

I've seen the news about the person whose claim was upheld because the insurer didn't explain the need to declare pre-existing conditions to him personally, but I'm not taking the risk.

I have a nationwide flex-account giving me free european travel cover but I phoned them yesterday to increase my cover and was charged £120 as follows;

£20 to make my premium worldwide, including cruises

£30 to add my husband

£70 to add my husband's ischaemic heart disease; 4 medications

previously, this would have cost approx. £200 with Age UK.

with regard to declaring medications etc.; my answer is YES.my husband was hospitalised in France during which the above condition was discovered.We had lots of "lovely" phone calls from the Insurance Co. purely concerned about what it was going to cost them and, believe me, any excuse or chance of a pre-existing conditions would have made them very happy.

I've seen the news about the person whose claim was upheld because the insurer didn't explain the need to declare pre-existing conditions to him personally, but I'm not taking the risk.

Presumably, if you had had a joint account the £30 to add your spouse would not have been applicable ?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi. Anyone know of travel insurance companies that are competitive for pre-existing medical conditions. Just had a quote from my policy attached to bank account for £154 extra for sleep apnoea on top of monthly charges. Seems a bit steep. Was just about to book for the Caribbean for next Christmas but need to get this sorted first. Thanks Maggie

Hi Maggie,

Try World First Travel Insurance,I find them brilliant,they cover me for heart attack,colon cancer,skin cancer,colitis,high blood pressure and this year on our 14 day cruise around the Med that will cost me £272,doubt whether tou'll beat that.Rocketron,aged 76,,,

Archived