Really need your expertise... what type of room/rooms for 3 adults and 2 kids?

Looking into the future (2007), we'd like to take my mother-in-law on a cruise to Alaska. She went on the Disney cruise and loved it!

My dilemna is what type of room or rooms do you book for 3 adults and 2 kids. Kids will be 14 and 9 by then.

I'd still like to have some private time away from MIL...but I don't want to spend a lot. Definitely want a balcony room.

Here are some thoughts I had:

connecting JS and D1-put 2 adults 1 child in JS, but then DD would be full fare if I put her in the D1.

GS-do we really want all 5 in here?

OS-lots of money...

connecting D1s-DD will still be charged full fare instead of 4th person fare if it was just the 4 of us, no MIL

Anyway I figure it, if I put 3 ppl in one (say JS or D1) and MIL and one child in second room, my child will have a fare of $1900+ instead of the 4th person fare if we booked her in our room. Does this make sense to you?

Am I missing an easy solution? What do you suggest?

Oh and we would be traveling during summer or spring break :eek:

Thanks so much!

Kim

Having cruised with family a few times now, I would definitely prefer two connecting cabins, even if they are smaller to one large suite. Our favorite combination was a Grand Suite connecting to a D1. But, a JS and D1 would be very comfortable also. Or, if that's not feasible, then just two D1s. When we went to Alaska last summer, we (DH and myself) had a regular balcony cabin, while my mom and two kids were a couple of doors away in a FV cabin on the Celebrity Summit. The three of them were much more comfortable in there than they would have been in the connecting cabin to ours that we had originally booked them in. But, it's really a matter of what you can comfortably afford. Even if it's only a couple of square feet of privacy, I would still prefer that little bit of separation and the second bathroom to a suite for all of us. I don't think there is really any way around paying the full fare for the child who is the second person in the second room - I think the first two people always have to pay full fare. I have heard of some offers where there is a special deal for a single traveler paying a supplement and then people end up moving the kids around, but I doubt that would work on an Alaska cruise during the busy times.

I'm not entirely positive about this, but aren't there large family balcony cabins that DON'T show up on the RCCL website when you do an online booking? (You have to call in to inquire about them.) I might be thinking about another cruise line, or I might of dreamed this though. ;) But, this is stuck in my brain from somewhere. Anybody know more about this for the original poster?

sherry7, you're right about the Royal Family Suite - it has two bedrooms and two bathrooms. We were actually booked in one, but then decided to go with the GS and connecting D1 instead. We heard mixed things about being in the back of the ship where these cabins are. Additionally the second bedroom is quite small with no window or balcony and the living room area is not as nice. We found the decor, amenities and overall comfort of the Grand Suite much nicer, and didn't want just one living room. Of course, those were our personal feelings and attitudes - for others it could be just right, and it may be a little less expensive than what we ended up doing. Also, depending on the sailing and when you're booking they have "minimum number of passengers" requirements, but 5 people could work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kim - I don't think that they ever show the Royal Family Suite available on their website. I think that's one that you have to book with a "live" person, as they only release those depending on who/how many and when the booking is for. Even when showing N/A on RCI's website, we have been able to book over the phone (but, I still prefer the two adjoining cabins...:rolleyes: )

How about a balcony cabin with an inside cabin across the hall? You still have the balcony for the family to enjoy, and 2 bathrooms, but with MIL and the 2 kids listed in the inside cabin, they;ll be paying a lesser fare.

Just a thought

A~:)

Archived