Voyager of the Seas Picture Review Dec 2012 Australia & New Zealand Cruise

Yes, I also found it interesting that it was not included on other ships. My guess is that they found something they didn't like about it, such as it took up too much room on decks 9 and 10, or it leaked, etc.

Yups. I am sure there are other significant differences as well. When we dined in Portofino on the Voyager in June, the head waiter there told us that the subsequent ships after Voyager didn't have all the 'mistakes'. Yeah, he used the word 'mistakes'.

I wonder what those 'mistakes' were.

This thread has been really educational; thanks for doing it and providing so much detail. I did a land trip to Sydney / NZ Fjordland / Great Barrier Reef last year, and I've often wondered if I would enjoy cruising the same area. I now know that I'd find cruising that itinerary too frustrating; I'd want to be on land in NZ enjoying all the tremendous hiking. But it's great to have options that work for all.

I did a day cruise of the Milford Sound after finishing the 4-day Milford Track hike earlier this year. It was sunny that day, so it's interesting to see it in clouds. I'm guessing Mitre Peak was shrouded and not visible on your trip.

This thread has been really educational; thanks for doing it and providing so much detail. I did a land trip to Sydney / NZ Fjordland / Great Barrier Reef last year, and I've often wondered if I would enjoy cruising the same area. I now know that I'd find cruising that itinerary too frustrating; I'd want to be on land in NZ enjoying all the tremendous hiking. But it's great to have options that work for all.

I did a day cruise of the Milford Sound after finishing the 4-day Milford Track hike earlier this year. It was sunny that day, so it's interesting to see it in clouds. I'm guessing Mitre Peak was shrouded and not visible on your trip.

I agree with your observation. If you are into trekking and want to spend extended time in the nature, then cruising isn't a good way to do New Zealand, not at all.

Yups. I am sure there are other significant differences as well. When we dined in Portofino on the Voyager in June, the head waiter there told us that the subsequent ships after Voyager didn't have all the 'mistakes'. Yeah, he used the word 'mistakes'.

I wonder what those 'mistakes' were.

Another thing they removed was a dedicated space for the florist shop on deck 11. That never made it to other ships - they do a floral cart instead.

Edited by clarea

I assume this will be your first time on the Voyager?

Have you sailed with Royal Caribbean before?

Hi, no we haven't sailed with RC before - we've only had one cruise and that was to Alaska on 9/16! It was with Princess and we loved it, even though there were lots of empty cabins due to the 'no fly' time that happened right after 9/11. Really looking forward to this one!

It's been on Voyager ever since I can remember. It's a skylight that goes all the way down to the top of the Promenade. I've not seen it on any other Voyager or Freedom class ship.

Thanks to you both, I'll have to go back and look at my pictures, Another reason for me to go back on Voyager, apparently I'm starting to forget things. I do remember my room was 8540 a port D1 I believe it was. Hooked me on balconies.

billbalcony.jpg

Ok, I can verify that pointy thing was there then too :o

pooldeck.jpg

I am unsure how to quote, but can someone tell me if the "peek-a-boo" window looking onto the bridge (hope that is what it is called--the place where the captain is "steering" the ship) is on the Mariner? That would be something I would not like to miss.

I am unsure how to quote, but can someone tell me if the "peek-a-boo" window looking onto the bridge (hope that is what it is called--the place where the captain is "steering" the ship) is on the Mariner? That would be something I would not like to miss.

Yes, it was there on Voyager. i forgot to look on Navigator, but I do remember it on Voyager. - oops misread your message. Sorry haven't been on Navigator.

Edited by BillOh

It's there. I caught the crew looking rather puzzled one morning. "Bridge" is the correct term as well.

5364926105_d20f08e846_b.jpg

Mariner Bridge by Wulfgar28, on Flickr

Oh, interesting that you pointed that out.

I was wondering what that was for.

The Cruise Director mentioned it later in the cruise and I think it has been there since the cruise ship was launched.

What is it for? Can somebody help?

It's been on Voyager ever since I can remember. It's a skylight that goes all the way down to the top of the Promenade. I've not seen it on any other Voyager or Freedom class ship.

Below are 2 links to photos looking straight up from the Royal Promenade to the "pointy thing" skylight on the pool deck.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=5318968022/PictureID=218850327022/a=156973073_156973073/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=5318968022/PictureID=218850913022/a=156973073_156973073/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

I think it may be near the car but it's been awhile since I took the photo and had to look for it.

I'm enjoying your review, especially all the photos.

Mary

Edited by Agutaya

Thanks so much for letting me know!! My boys will be thrilled to see this!

Oh---I am really loving the photos on this thread from Australia and New Zealand. That is my dream trip!

You are quite welcome.

Iluvcruising2- Doing an awesome job!

The peek-a-boo bridge is on all 5 Voyager class ships, but it not on Freedom class because they extended the fitness center forward on Freedom class and took up the space.

To quote another post, just click on the "quote" icon at the bottom of the post. The quoted post will come up in the "reply" block and you just add your reply.

Edited by truffles2

Yes, Mariner has it too, see below - and the fuzzy dice !!

P10204592_zps5e9cd33a.jpg

As always a fantastic review!! Absolutely loving it! The menu selections look brilliant as well! After cruising the USA so many times I was interested in what they were going to do for Australian sailings. Can't wait for my South Pacific cruise next year (can almost say 'later this year!')

As always a fantastic review!! Absolutely loving it! The menu selections look brilliant as well! After cruising the USA so many times I was interested in what they were going to do for Australian sailings. Can't wait for my South Pacific cruise next year (can almost say 'later this year!')

Glad that you are liking it!

Which are your ports for your upcoming South Pacific cruise? We are also looking doing a South Pacific cruise in the not-too-distant future!

The Australian passengers we met onboard our recent sailing told us good stuff about them.