Need help planning a trip to Norway

bearsfolks

Hello everyone:

Thanks to the help provided so generously by you all, we have made a decision (and a reservation).

We are going to go on the Holland America 14 day Voyage of the Midnight Sun leaving in June from Dover, and stopping at Stavanger, Flam, Sognefjord, Geiranger, Tromso, Honningsvag, Hammerfest, Trondheim, Trondheimsfjord, Alesund and Bergen.

We made a spreadsheet of cruises based on all your suggestions, and the ports they went to, and first eliminated those cruises that did not go to the places we wanted to, those that went to other countries like Iceland (we’ll be going there separately) or the Baltic countries (been there, done that), or those that went back and forth in the middle of the trip to the embarkation port (Dover, Rotterdam, etc.).

There were a couple of big decisions that we had to make. The first one was whether or not to go on either the Hurtigruten or the Silver Explorer, which start and end in Norway, and are, as best as we can tell, mostly about nature. The reason we decided against these, is, oddly enough, because of our last vacation, which was all culture. We had been to The Czech Republic, Western Poland, and Eastern Austria. While we saw beautiful things, at the end of 3 weeks, we felt we had been churched-out, small-town-squared out, and castled-out! It made us realize that we need to vary our experiences, and so, on this upcoming trip, we want to mix up nature with some architecture, museums, visits into towns, etc.. While, as suggested by SarniaLo, we could do extended land stops by getting off and on different Hurtigruten boats, for our first trip to Norway, we decided to take an easier approach. If we do decide to go back, then we will certainly consider the Hurtigruten. The other negative with the Silver Explorer was that it is sold out for 2013.

Another big decision was whether to go to the Arctic Circle area at all, as most of the guide books made it sound as though the best parts were in the Southern parts of Norway. We decided to include the North because of the uniqueness of it, particularly the experience of the Midnight Sun (especially appealing to me as I think that sleep is such a waste of our time alive!)

While there were several other cruises that went to similar stops as the Holland America one we picked, we had sailed on Holland America before, and enjoyed it. The Silver Cloud no longer goes on the cruise that TLCOhio went on, which is really unfortunate. The choice boiled down to HA and one of the Seabourne cruises.

We contacted each of them, and HA agreed to let us join and leave the cruise in Norway—apparently, that is not a problem for them. Seabourne, on the other hand, hemmed and hawed, and said they would have to request it, and were unable to commit to it.

Ergo, we are going on Holland America, and will add some time on land either at the beginning or end (or both) of the cruise to go to some additional places in Norway.

I thank all of you, again, for your help, and would like to impose on you again, if I may, for advice on choosing the land excursions, as well as help in getting to some of the places that we want to visit on our own.

Bearsfolks, I just found this thread. You have certainly put a lot of thought and done a lot of investigation into your decision. I hope it will be all you're hoping it will be.

I, on the other hand, have wanted to do a Norway Coastal Voyage for close to 20 years and so did not consider any other option except Hurtigruten. I'd always thought I would want to go in the summer because of the midnight sun, but then a friend told me she was going this coming March, and I am joining her. We're choosing winter in hopes of seeing the Northern Lights.

We booked through my friend's travel agent who, in turn, booked through a tour company. Our trip will include a hotel stay the night before the cruise and the night after as well as various excursions along the way.

I don't begin to have the travel experience you do either on land or sea. However, one of the things I know is that the more informal, the better. I do enjoy formal nights and all the frou frou of the major cruiselines, but I am especially going to enjoy wearing casual, comfortable clothes and all the other relaxed aspects of Hurtigruten.

Well enough. I do hope you will come back here after your cruise and let us know how it was.

ILoveScotland:

I hope to be able to see the Northern Lights this winter from Iceland--it is on my bucket list, just as the coastal voyage of Norway seems to be on yours!

Yes, I do put in a lot of research into my trips. My attitude is that if I am going someplace, I want to be able to see everything that is worth seeing in the area. I remember that when we were in Antwerp for a day last year on the Viking Tulips and Windmills River cruise, my map contained 45 places to go on the ship tour and on our own, including 18 chocolate and ice-cream places (we don't care much about food, but we are both chocoholics, and I believe that future science will realize that ice-cream is an essential food group all on its own!)

Having said that, though, when we take a trip like this one to Norway (or Iceland), we realize that we are subject to the vagaries of nature, and try to make the best of it. Last winter, we were in Australia and NZ, and people in NZ greeted as with "Welcome to the summer that never was!" Nonetheless, it was a great experience, and we had a great time.

Here's hoping that both you and we have good fortune on our trips this year. And, yes, the more informal, the better.

I agree that the more planning the better. However, I learned that my late husband was not like that at all. I'd give him all kinds of information, and he wouldn't even look at it. So, I finally decided to do the research and planning and ask him his opinion from time to time. Otherwise he was happy.

Yes, this trip has been on my bucket list and not just something I'd like to do. Yet even with the trip itself being on my bucket list I've been doing all kinds of research about Norway and the places we'll visit. I'm also flying into Bergen a day before the tour itself starts so I can have a day exploring alone before my friend arrives.

She and I are also part of a group of women who for one reason or another cruise solo and now have a private forum on another website. There are about 20 of us, and a few of us have met in person. We are all excited because we have booked the Presidential Suite on the Freedom of the Seas for next December. As of now there are 9 of us. The suite will sleep 14, but we want to limit our group to 10. That cruise will be entirely different as it will be just for fun and the chance to have a week long party.

I am just starting to research the idea of a Norway cruise, hoping to go this summer. For those who have been, and for those in the planning stages: What guide books have you found to be most helpful? Thanks - Maddle

I am just starting to research the idea of a Norway cruise, hoping to go this summer. For those who have been, and for those in the planning stages: What guide books have you found to be most helpful? Thanks - Maddle

Are you researching a traditional cruiseline cruise (i.e. Royal CI'aribbean, Princess, etc.) or a working ship cruise (i.e. Hurtigruten). If Hurtigruten which is what I'm taking in two months, I'd suggest going directly to the Hurtigruten website. I'm booked on a Vantage Travel package which includes a night's stay in Bergen before and after the cruise as well as various excursions along the way.

CC is also very helpful, as you know. I'm not suire about guidebooks. I've looked at a few but not relied on them.

You can also go to youtube.com and search for Hurtigruten videos.

That's a start for you. Wish I knew more about the guidebooks, but I don't.

From our previous travels to these great cities/ports of Europe, including Norway, here are some of my book and research tips. You might grab, maybe from your public libraries or ask for them to do a book transfer they can process for you, such super excellent visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, etc., can work well, too. In my opinion, no one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely for all of your needs. These resources, especially the visual ones, can help you better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see.

That early research is very important. Don't wait until you get on the ship to "GUESS" what might be of interest. I always build a "file" on my laptop computer for each port stop with highlights from that reading and then pulling up stories/articles from the travels sections of the New York Times, Telegraph of London, Wikipedia, etc. All of those help to consider your many great options. Amazon can be very good in providing such books at reduced prices, plus some used books websites. Lots of great options!!! Especially in these days of the Internet, it makes things easier to research and plan ahead. You can use Google.com for great access to various text items, plus a wide variety of visuals and maps. One option for some private tour and other local options is to contract the tourism office in each of your ports. You can use Google.com and put in the search term such as "city/port name tourism office". Then follow-up to each of those office by e-mail, ask your questions, get their suggestions, options to consider, etc.

As you pull together this info, it easier to go back to read, re-read items, pull out key highlights using the cut and paste computer features, etc. We are doing New Zealand and Australia in early 2014 and I have already pull together over 600 pages of info, news clips, options, etc. Then, there are my photo files. I will search Google.com or Bing.com in the images section to look at visual examples for these key places we are going to visit for the first time. The visuals in both travel books and from the Internet really help get a "picture" for what to do and visit.

Then there is the question of what and how do you want to “ENJOY" and "EXPERIENCE" things in the Baltics, etc? Rush-rush and gulp it down like soda pop or beer . . . OR . . . sip and savor the moment like fine wine, doing people watching, sensing an enjoyment of life and the humanity, the architecture, history and charm? It's your choice. I just wanted to be honest and make sure you understand your options and timing trade-offs.

QUICK QUESTIONS: Which specific ports will your cruise visit? Have you read through my live/blog for lots of ideas and pictures on these many Norway options? What is your travel style and personal priorities/interests? Are you doing just the lower fjord/Bergen or going much farther north of the Arctic Circle, etc.? Tell us more!! Then, with more detailed and specific information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 91,106 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks for your kind replies. Love your review, Terry.

ILS - Right this moment, we are looking at the Caribbean Princess, 17Jun departure...but I am wondering about the size of the ship - and thinking "is this a good fit?" for myself and hubby. I do love the idea of being so far north for the Summer Solstice and the Midnight Sun. This cruise in particular goes all the way to the North Cape.

I have also taken a look at the Marco Polo for the Northern Lights - a completely different experience from the Midnight Sun, of course.

Style - I like to have the time to visit - to see historical sites and architecture and beautiful vistas. I am not afraid to explore "on my own" if I have information about the area...but I am not adverse to doing Ship Excursions if it's the best way to see a port with variables that might be a concern. I do like to have pre-made plans if possible with independent vendors.

The Roll Call for that particular cruise is still pulling together. (Usually I can piggy back onto others' research.) Should I be looking for websites for each port for travel information for independent vendors?

BearsFolks - I see you have chosen Holland over Princess. I would love to see your spreadsheet of ports, etc. I will look into your chosen option.

Maddle

Thanks for your kind replies. Love your review, Terry. ILS - Right this moment, we are looking at the Caribbean Princess, 17Jun departure...but I am wondering about the size of the ship - and thinking "is this a good fit?" for myself and hubby. I do love the idea of being so far north for the Summer Solstice and the Midnight Sun. This cruise in particular goes all the way to the North Cape. Maddle

Appreciate so much the kind comments from our LA friend. A smaller ship has its advantages, but my view is that you can also make the "best" of it depending on your skills, advance planning, etc., even with a bigger ship.

That June 17 cruise goes out of Southampton, making if fairly easy to fly into Heathrow and then get to your departure port. You have only four sea days, making this cruise fairly port-intensive. You start with wonderful Bergen and then have two fjord superstars with Flam, plus Hellesylt and Geiranger. Then up to Honningsvag/North Cape, seeing Tromso, Gravdal/Lofoten Islands and Stavanger. Many wonderful options and potentials!! And late June will be good timing. Long days, seeing the midnight sun, etc.

Keep researching and planning. Happy to answer any added questions, provide additional info, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 91,106 views.

Sorry Maddle, just checked my e-mail.

Before I answer you, I have to thank TLCOhio for mentioning Rick Steves. I had not bothered to look for his book, because he does not have one for our next trip, Iceland, and so, assumed he did not have one for Norway. Not only does he have one, but it seems that it is also included in his book of Scandinavia, which I have a copy of! So, 150 more pages of reading, given that he is my facorite guidebook author! Depending on what I find, I may also buy the Kindle version of it, as I find it so much more convenient while travelling.

The two options you mention were in our consideration set, as was the smaller Ocean Princess, and the main reason we chose Holland America was the fact that we could join/leave the cruise in Norway. Frankly, even the Ryndham is bigger than our preferred size choice--my ideal is a river cruise! As requested, I've attached my spreadsheet--please remember that any comments just reflect my tastes, and are no reflection on either the cruise or the ports visited. I hope it can be opened--I had to change the version to one accepted by CC.

Maddle, like TLCOhio, I am a voracious user of the Internet from a variety of sources, including TripAdvisor and Cruise Critic. Very often, I will create a Word document of postings by people, as well as recommended places which you can find on the TA page for each city. Lots of work, and not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for me.

Before I get into specifics, the other blog that you should read is that done by cruiser SarniaLo, and mentioned on this thread: http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com/, http://voyageterremer.blogspot.fr/2012/03/oslo-bergen-en-train-pour-changer.html and http://voyageterremer.blogspot.com/2010/12/bergen.html . A different travelling experience than on a large ship.

What I used were the following guidebooks, which I have only skimmed so far, to find the recommended places to visit--each book usually has a chapter or a section like this. The guidebooks are by:

1. Lonely Planet
  2. Insight Guides
  3. Eyewitness
  4. Fodor's Norway Ports (I think it was in Fodor's "the complete guide to European cruises : a cruise lover's guide to selecting the right trip, with all the best ports of call")

If you go to http://www.hurtigruten.us/utils/brochures/request-a-brochure-or-view-online/ , you can either download or order their brochure, and starting at Pg 60 on the online brochure, you can see Pre/Post Programs, followed by Excursions on Pg 68. A similar brochure is on the Vantage website. The goldmine is at http://issuu.com/oktan/docs/cruise-norway-manual -- you do have to join (for free) to download it, or you can view it online. (I hope I'm not violating any rules by this posting).

Frommer has an informative website with recommendations at http://www.frommers.com/destinations/norway/

In addition, I downloaded the shore excursions from Holland America (which you can also do).

Finally, there is http://www.norwaynutshell.com/en/explore-the-fjords/norway-in-a-nutshell/ -- the design of which can drive you a bit nuts, but it is very informative. On the home page, there is a tab for "Destinations", and I just clicked on each of the three tabs that are listed there. Plus we are going to use it to plan some of our trips (e.g., Oslo to Bergen), which will influence the choice of shore excursions on the cruise.

I don't see anything else in my Norway folder, but will keep you posted if I come across anything new.

Oh yes, the other thing I do is to create a My Places map in Google Maps (another wonderful site with some silly limitations that will drive me nuts one day!) of all the places I am going to in a country, as well as the places I want to go to there, and that helps me figure out how to do so. I will also do this for major cities where we will be spending some time.

Ports.xls

Bearsfolks - thank you so much for all of the information! Your worksheet is a wonder, and very helpful sorting out the options. Question: one line near the bottom is labeled "wasted" and has numbers in the cells....what does this mean? Lost days? Ports you are not interested in? I am stumped

I will be sure to pull those books from the Library or Amazon asap. Am I to understand that the Rick Steve's Norway book is fully included in his Scandanavia book? I can't wait to click on the links you have both provided and really sink my teeth into the meat of the matter.

Opinions from those who have been in the High Summer: I am sure this would be a once in a lifetime visit. This is the first time I have questioned "balcony or inside." Balcony is usually an easy choice...but will that Midnight Sun wear us out? OR - is this the one time in my life I will see the sun around the clock and why would I want to tuck ourselves away while on such an adventure. Any thoughts? (I'm kind of leaning toward the balcony myself...and bring a sleep mask.)

Thanks for all input and sharing.

Maddle

Before I answer you, I have to thank TLCOhio for mentioning Rick Steves. I had not bothered to look for his book, because he does not have one for our next trip, Iceland, and so, assumed he did not have one for Norway. Not only does he have one, but it seems that it is also included in his book of Scandinavia, which I have a copy of! So, 150 more pages of reading, given that he is my facorite guidebook author! Depending on what I find, I may also buy the Kindle version of it, as I find it so much more convenient while travelling.

Appreciate the nice mention by bearsfolks. Lots of great ideas have been shared and outlined by bearsfolks. On Rick Steves, when he covers a town or port, it can be good. The downside, however, is that some of his books, including for around Norway and Baltics, are limited in the number of smaller towns and ports featured.

That's why I noted that a number of difference sources can be helpful. Just one book can't do it all for every need and interest.

On Maddle's good question about the lots of daylight at night, that is why, hopefully, your room has good curtains. Plus, it is vital to be creative with duct tape or other measures to make sure there are not any gaps with where the curtains come together. Also, sometime, it is smart to place some extra pillows, cushions and/or towels at the bottom of the curtains to lessen the extra light that might come in via that gap. Having a big window or balcony is still very nice in these areas to see and stay connected with the unique sights as you sailing along there in Norway.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 91,224 views.

Terry - I agree absolutely: no one book covers it all. My self-centered reason asking about the Rick Steves' coverage of Norway in the single book vs. part of "Scandanavia" book is that I know my local library has a copy of "Scandanavia" and not "Norway." They also have a couple others that you have each suggested. I look forward to reviewing the Visual books, like "Eyewitness." Those are fun to see.

Good suggestions for the draperies. I will be sure to pack some clothes pins!

A cruise is a good choice because of the fixed costs that are covered. For port expenses, I am wondering about the current exchange rate compared to your experience a few years ago when you wrote your blog. (Today the NOK seems to be worth about $.17, is that an improvement?) I know it is expensive in Norway, hopefully the USD is a little stronger. Did you find it easy to acquire cash on land, or did you use more credit card for shopping and expenses. How about tips for your local guides - local currency or USD?

Bearsfolks - what is the anticipated favorite port that might have swayed your decision to go with the Ryndam?

As I had mentioned in my previous posting, this spreadsheet was based on what we were looking for. So, "wasted" counts two numbers (the first columns only have one, as the spreadsheet "evolved" in development!) For us, the days at sea are a "waste" of time. So, the first number shows the number of days spent at sea in total, including the time spent going to and from and in the ports of embarkation/disembarkation. The 2nd number shows the number of days spent at sea not including the days to and from and in the ports of embarkation/disembarkation. For example, in column D, the Sojourn spends 3 days at sea between Flam and Stavanger, plus two more days going to and from and in Copenhagen. Note that "scenic cruising" days are not counted as being "wasted".

Remember that my travel is, as TLCOhio would put it, "in big gulps", so, time spent at sea, while enjoyable for social reasons, is "wasted" in light of my primary purpose in travel, which is to see and experience things. "Sleep! Draperies!" I'll sleep when I get home!!! :D

Having said that, we have made friends on past travels who were so much fun that we have subsequently visited them in their homes in Europe and Australia, and they have been to see us.

I gather lots of information and opinions, and I value all of it, but then I decide based on what makes sense for us, and you should do the same.

As best as I can make out by looking at the information on Rick Steves' site, the Scandinavia book covers the same information as the Norway book--let me put it this way, my wife is reading the Norway section in the Scandinavia book. Like you, I could not find the Norway book in our library either.

Re the ports, no one port swayed us to go on the Ryndham vs, say, the Sojourn or your cruise. It was more the size of ship, and the fact that we could join/leave in Norway. Rather than any one port, one of the things my wife found was a listing of the top fjords in Norway, which is what the numbers in some cells in colum 1 represent, e.g., Geirangerfjord 3. We plan to see them either on the cruise or on our own. Similarly, we want to go to the Lofoten Islands, either before or after the cruise, and will try to figure out a way to do so.

I think that covers all your questions. Now, back to a recalcitrant laptop!:mad:

P.S. I apologize for the fact that I was brought up to never use a phrase when an essay would suffice.

Even though my own plans are now complete, I am continuing to enjoy reading everyone's comments. I'll have to take a look at the Rick Steves book on Norway. Lately I've been buying e-books and downloading them to my smartphone. That way they're handy at all times and even more portable than an e-reader/tablet.

I have decided that I do two types of travel. I travel to see and experience cultures, art, people of a place and the geography of the land. The days of those trips are filled with activities.

I cruise to be on the ocean and for the relaxation and peace I find there. Thankfully, I also have an opportunity to visit an area I might not otherwise see and decide if I want to return.

The Hurtigruten Norway Coastal Voyage will be a combination of both as I will be on the sea but have the opportunity to explore the Norwegian coast with all its beauty and to meet and learn something of Norwegian culture.

Can you tell I'm excited? I can hardly wait. In fact two months from today is the day we board the Polarlys for the journey.

Beth

Terry - I agree absolutely: no one book covers it all. My self-centered reason asking about the Rick Steves' coverage of Norway in the single book vs. part of "Scandanavia" book is that I know my local library has a copy of "Scandanavia" and not "Norway." They also have a couple others that you have each suggested. I look forward to reviewing the Visual books, like "Eyewitness." Those are fun to see. Good suggestions for the draperies. I will be sure to pack some clothes pins! A cruise is a good choice because of the fixed costs that are covered. For port expenses, I am wondering about the current exchange rate compared to your experience a few years ago when you wrote your blog. (Today the NOK seems to be worth about $.17, is that an improvement?) I know it is expensive in Norway, hopefully the USD is a little stronger. Did you find it easy to acquire cash on land, or did you use more credit card for shopping and expenses. How about tips for your local guides - local currency or USD?

Great idea and mention on the clothes pin option! I'll salt away that smart idea into my travel file. On exchange rate, those things go up and down. The bottom line is still that ground costs for food, drink and accommodations are high, high in Norway. High labor and tax costs. Makes it smart to be doing a cruise there. Don't expect to be getting too many great shopping bargains there.

Yes, ATM's are all over. Most places for food take credit cards. Not sure tips are much must-do in Norway as their wage levels are high and it is not as expected in this part of the world.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 91,224 views.

Maddle:

A quick note re credit cards, which you may be aware of already. When we started to travel again, I got tired of paying the foreign exchange transaction fees, so I got a Capital One card (free), which does not charge for foreign transactions. I pay for whatever I can by card (was a real problem in The Netherlands), and, I always ask them to make the charge in the local currency.

Beth:

Please report back on your journey, and your experiences re excursions. Sounds like you're the kind of person who has a great time no matter what.

• 3 weeks later...

TLC in Ohio, Love your pictures and recap of the various ports in Norway! We are going in early Sept. after the Baltics cruise. We are just beginning to look more in depth @ the ports in Norway and came across of this thread.

You have made my ears tingle just a bit more as we plan ahead.

Again, THANKS

Pinkie:)

TLC in Ohio, Love your pictures and recap of the various ports in Norway! We are going in early Sept. after the Baltics cruise. We are just beginning to look more in depth @ the ports in Norway and came across of this thread.

You have made my ears tingle just a bit more as we plan ahead.

Again, THANKS

Pinkie:)

Great, I think!!?? Am I assuming correctly that making your ears tingle is good? Keep researching and planning. Let me know any added questions, needs.

THANKS for the nice comments! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 93,316 views.

We did go ahead and book the Princess cruise; now planning port activities.

I've spent a lot if time looking at options in Flaam. The ship departs at 4pm, limiting our choices.

If we take the train, will we miss much in Myrdal if we catch the first departure for the return trip? It's only a matter of minutes. Is that even doable? What I would like to do is train up and back in two hours, then take the Sogneford cruise and bus tour. There is only about 20 minutes to catch the boat. Is THAT doable? I would very much like to do both.

We did go ahead and book the Princess cruise; now planning port activities. I've spent a lot if time looking at options in Flaam. The ship departs at 4pm, limiting our choices. If we take the train, will we miss much in Myrdal if we catch the first departure for the return trip? It's only a matter of minutes. Is that even doable? What I would like to do is train up and back in two hours, then take the Sogneford cruise and bus tour. There is only about 20 minutes to catch the boat. Is THAT doable? I would very much like to do both.

Congratulations to our LA area friend on being booked and set on your Norway cruise. Still looking at a mid June departure? Doing "BOTH" is always good and fun, in my book.

Not sure I can fully answer your challenge, but here are a couple of factors to consider. First, the weather is an unknown right now. Hopefully it will be good, but things can change and impact your options/choices for what you would actually want and seek to do. Sometimes it is a "day-of" decision and/or adaption to be made. Second, sometimes talking with the on-ship excursion staff can enlighten and provide added info/factors to consider for your options as to what works best, might be possible, etc.

Were you planning to use a ship tour for the Flam train or to do it all independently and buying ahead? Ship tours and staff are not always best and perfect, but they can provide some added flexibility for making these choices when seeking to do more. Reactions? Tell me more. Personally, I like to plan ahead and study things on paper. BUT, we have had several times where talking with the ship staff really helped, got us in better excursion that fit our personal interest much better. And, making late adjustments based on weather conditions helped make things work better.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 93,457 views.

We did go ahead and book the Princess cruise; now planning port activities.

I've spent a lot if time looking at options in Flaam. The ship departs at 4pm, limiting our choices.

If we take the train, will we miss much in Myrdal if we catch the first departure for the return trip? It's only a matter of minutes. Is that even doable? What I would like to do is train up and back in two hours, then take the Sogneford cruise and bus tour. There is only about 20 minutes to catch the boat. Is THAT doable? I would very much like to do both.

Hi, IMHO the train journey from Flam to Myrdal is the highlight of the trip, not spending time exploring Myrdal and its surroundings. Although it is very scenic and pretty enough, as far as I can recollect there is not a lot to do, unless you want to take a hike from there. I think that the passengers who booked with the ship, got off for a coffee and biscuits and maybe did not go back on the same train, but the cost of the ships excursion was excessive, in my opinion, compared with what it cost to book directly. it made it an expensive cup of coffee!!!!. It is very easy to book the train journey directly, without having to do a ships excursion. The train station is just yards away from where the tender boats tie up. I think the ships excursion passengers use some reserved carriages on the train whereas there are always other carriages available for DIY passengers and other tourists visiting Flam as well.

When we did the same journey a couple of years ago, after a few minutes to wait for a train to arrive from another direction, from the main Bergen to Oslo train line, we rejoined the same train that took us up to Myrdal for the return trip to Flam, as did the vast majority, if not all of the other passengers.The most scenic side is the right hand side on the way up, although the main waterfall is on the left hand side, but the train stops for a few minutes to allow all passengers to get off to take photo'd of the waterfall. Watch out for the water Nymphs appearing from behind the rocks.

If the Sognefjord cruise and bus tour is going in the direction of Gudvagen you will have an opportunity to see one of the world's longest waterfalls in terms of length, from the boat. Enjoy your trip.

Thank you so much for your insights. Yes, Terry, we are heading out mid-June. The more research I do, the more delighted I am that we have decided to go.

HotShot - I agree: I do think the ship's excursions are very costly. If the timing is right, I could do both of these adventures (train, and fjord cruise with bus return) for about half of the cost of the excursion I currently have on hold. **

I am trying to plan this day independent of the Ship's Tours. Questions - can I wait to purchase these tickets on arrival in Flaam - or should I take the plunge? (I do know for the train I will have to wait if it is just the two of us. We are working on getting a group together from the Roll Call for this early departure, but I don't know if they will be keen for the rapid turnaround.) Can I wait - can the Fjord cruise tickets be purchased at that time and not ahead?

It will be a very tight jump from the train to the ferry, do the trains/ferries/busses run generally run ontime? I would like to wait for the next departure at noon, but the return is only 30 minutes before the Ship's Departure at 4 pm....and that's just too dicey for me.

Maddle

**The excursion I currently have on hold is a bustrip to Voss, luncheon, followed by train travel returning to Flaam (using two trains.) A full day, lovely scenery...but no boating on the Fjord, and double the price to book the above options on my own.

Thank you so much for your insights. Yes, Terry, we are heading out mid-June. The more research I do, the more delighted I am that we have decided to go.

HotShot - I agree: I do think the ship's excursions are very costly. If the timing is right, I could do both of these adventures (train, and fjord cruise with bus return) for about half of the cost of the excursion I currently have on hold. **

I am trying to plan this day independent of the Ship's Tours. Questions - can I wait to purchase these tickets on arrival in Flaam - or should I take the plunge? (I do know for the train I will have to wait if it is just the two of us. We are working on getting a group together from the Roll Call for this early departure, but I don't know if they will be keen for the rapid turnaround.) Can I wait - can the Fjord cruise tickets be purchased at that time and not ahead?

It will be a very tight jump from the train to the ferry, do the trains/ferries/busses run generally run ontime? I would like to wait for the next departure at noon, but the return is only 30 minutes before the Ship's Departure at 4 pm....and that's just too dicey for me.

Hi , we just made sure that we managed to get on the first tender and then went straight to the Railway Station, which is just yards away, and booked the train journey there. They do offer a 10% discount on the train journey for groups of 10 or more, although you must book a "group" booking that in advance, so that it may be worthwhile trying to get a group together from the roll Call.

Remember that if you are on large ship, you will probably have to tender , so that if the ship is due to leave at say 4 pm, then as you have to tender back to the ship, the last tender back may be at say 3.30pm

We did not use the Fjord Cruise as the ship we were on, the Ocean Countess, was a very small ship and left relatively early from Flam to enable us to sail to Gudvagen and we see the Kjelsfossen Waterfall on the way.

I think that the Norwegians pride themselves on running public transport, trains, and buses and ferries on time, a bit like the Swiss, they are usually very punctual. Its my understanding that the Norwegians are also very good at synchronizing the public transport links so that if say a bus was running late for whatever unusual circumstances, then they would probably hold a connecting ferry say for a few minutes.

What cruise are you going on? We have made a number of "private "excursions and used public transport to get to destinations that the ships excursions went to, in different ports in Norway over the last couple of years and would be happy to pass on some possible private excursions you could consider.

If you have not been to Norway before you may like to know that like if you use an ATM in Norway, don't ask for 1,000 Krone, as you will probably end up with ONE 1,000 Krone note, (about $180). My wife had the cheek to go into a small corner shop and buy a packet of US - chips ( UK - crisps) for 24 Krone and got 976 Krone change. They were quite happy to give her the change though, but I sent my wife to do it, rather than do it myself!!!!

Always ask for a senior price too, although unfortunately a "senior" may be 60 in one location, 62 somewhere else, 65 in another town and even 67 elsewhere, but it is always worth asking as you can obtain a reasonable reduction in some places. Norway seems to respect senior citizens, of whatever nationality, quite rightly too.

If you like scenery, you will love Norway, enjoy your trip.

Archived