Dyea Dave and White Pass Railroad

HarperSays

We're looking at Dyea Dave's "Carcross, Yukon and Emerald Lake" tour. Would you recommend staying on the bus for the round trip, or taking the railroad for half of it. If we take the railroad for half, it appears it's best to take the railroad up, then bus tour back (so the bus tour isn't rushed to meet the railroad). Thoughts?

We're looking at Dyea Dave's "Carcross, Yukon and Emerald Lake" tour. Would you recommend staying on the bus for the round trip, or taking the railroad for half of it. If we take the railroad for half, it appears it's best to take the railroad up, then bus tour back (so the bus tour isn't rushed to meet the railroad). Thoughts?

We took this tour last summer but everyone on our bus stayed on round trip. If you want to combine it with the railroad I would advise you to do the railroad going back mainly because most of the tour commentary and stops were on the way there, much less on the return.

We have yet to do this tour ( next May), but we have booked the bus up and train back because from research here we have learned that the train is quite scenic and a different view from what you will see on the bus portion. It can be foggy in the am, blocking the view from the train, so that is why we opted for the PM train portion.

We took this tour last summer but everyone on our bus stayed on round trip. If you want to combine it with the railroad I would advise you to do the railroad going back mainly because most of the tour commentary and stops were on the way there, much less on the return.

Thanks for this info.

We have yet to do this tour ( next May), but we have booked the bus up and train back because from research here we have learned that the train is quite scenic and a different view from what you will see on the bus portion. It can be foggy in the am, blocking the view from the train, so that is why we opted for the PM train portion.

Thanks for the reply. We will be in Alaska in May also. I had read about the morning fog so I was thinking of the afternoon train portion, but I had read where the bus portion is rushed to make the afternoon train. I will keep researching or maybe call Dyea Dave and get suggestions from him.

If you want to use the train - why not use a tour company that will get you a ticket - Chilkoot. I did their long train tour to Carcross via Bennett (a gold rush ghost town on the RR) with a bus return. It takes 9 hrs and does not run on Sun or Mon. See http://www.wpyr.com/bennettscenicjourney.html for more details.

Archived