Guest 2000 .....

AllAmericanAmy

I've been reading the Roatan boards and you seem to be all over them! I really appreciate all your input! I've been taking notes! Looking forward to snorkling off Tabyana (will look for the "kidney" as you instructed!):)

So, I got a question for you - or someone else with a decent grasp of the layout of the island.

In January we will be arriving on Norwegian Star. I have booked a private tour with Victor Bodden. Have 2 teenagers that want to zipline and I'm thinking we are going to use SouthShore Canopy Zipline.

we want to have the kids do the zipline first thing (hope to beat cruise ship "authorized" tour peeps so we don't have the wait). I personally have no interest in the zipline - I wanna stroll thru one of their grocery stores & buy some coffee, etc (yep. I'm weird. Prefer grocery stores to gift shops!). My question is this - would it be logical to have the driver drop me off at one of the grocery stores and then take hubby and kids to the zipline and return for me when the guys are done with their excursion? Or is Southshore a zillion miles from any grocery store and it's not feasible?

Which grocery would you suggest? If I finish up and am waiting for them, are there gift stores, or little shops to browse thru while I'm waiting for them?

After the ziplining we are headed to Tabyana beach. Any suggestions on the way for an affordable decent lunch?

Wow, look at this, my very own thread. :D

I believe South Shore is between West End and West Bay. Seems to me it would be easy enough to drop you in West End to wander about while the others zip. There are not any full blow grocery stores in West End but Woodies does what they can. There are several other bodega type places. Additionally, there are gift type shops to explore.

The driver could either come back for you and then to the beach OR he could bring your family to West End so you can take the water taxi to West Bay. Anyone can point you to Tabyana where it should be all kinds of easy to locate your driver. If he is in a taxi, they are all numbered.

I don't believe the food on the island to be anything to write home about but a few places to consider in West End are Lighthouse, Half Moon BayResort, Rudy's and the Rotisserie Chicken place. In West Bay ~ Bite on the beach, Foster's, Beachers, Thirsty Turtle on the sand or water and Celeste's which is not on the beach.

If the markets on West End are not what you seek, the only other option is having the whole family stop on Coxen Hole at either Eldon's behind the sun station or Plaza Mar.

I think that covers it.

If you have other questions or if I missed something, feel free.

Can't help with zips....did those in Costa Rica so "been there - done that" and don't need to do it again ;)

But as for restaurants..... just find something that looks good somewhere along the beach on West Bay. We are staying in a condo at Infinity Bay (which is right next door to Tabyana) and the food at the Palapa Bar Restaurant (right next to the beach) is pretty good. Try the lobster nachos !!!!!! Enough for 2 people easy and @ $16.00 but they load on the lobster !!!! The calzone I had today for lunch was really really good $8.00 and their pizzas are great too. Shrimp tacos, burgers, and lots lots more. They will let you on the property if you want to eat. Just tell the guard you want to eat lunch.

We have also had a great meal at the Lighthouse in West End Village..... but the service is slow.

Celeste's - we didn't care for it.

Bananarama has ok food too. I had a taco salad last night that was really good.

Not sure you will be impressed with the grocery stores :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

for the info and advice. It's appreciated!:D I'm sure I'll be fine with the grocery you spoke of - just like poking around checking out spices, sauces, etc. Maybe some vanilla and the like...

We will DEFINITELY try the lobster nacho's - I've read about them elsewhere. Good munchie to share it sounds like!

I'd also be interested in the Rotisserie Chicken place (we ate at one in Iquitos, Peru and it was outstanding!) - are they open for lunch? Or only dinner? Pretty affordable as I recall too, right?

Thanks again...

I'd also be interested in the Rotisserie Chicken place (we ate at one in Iquitos, Peru and it was outstanding!) - are they open for lunch? Or only dinner? Pretty affordable as I recall too, right?

Thanks again...

Rotisserie Chicken place is back from the beach. Go to Bananarama and there is a beach access alongside it...... walk back and you will come to a road. Turn left and there is a small shopping center (small!) and the Rotisserie chicken place is the second shop (also a deli/market).

Archived