Celebrity | Constellation | 09/05/2013 Sep 5, 2013 | ATLANTIS Amsterdam Barcelona

LBCABob

Searched and could not find a thread already started for the Atlantis 2013 from Amsterdam to Barcelona. If one exists, someone post the link.

Just booked with friend Steve (from SF). Never been to Europe before but Steve has several times in years past. I have booked next cruise on this same ship (B2B) for another 10 days ending in Istanbul (likely solo since Steve can't take 3+ weeks off work).

While Steve is planning on starting this vacation in Amsterdam, I plan to fly a few days early to London to do the traditional touristy things and then take EuroStar thru the Chunnel to Amsterdam (change trains in Brussels).

Any recommendations for London hotels, tour guides, places to see/skip, etc. will be appreciated.

Have been on several RSVP cruises over the years but just 1 Atlantis (the Mexico 2010). Always a fun vacation!

My husband and I just booked this cruise, it will be our first! We live in Reykjavik, married 4 years, together 6, and while we have traveled a lot, both alone and together, this will be our first cruise after years of talking about it. Cannot wait! Anyone with tips to share particular to this cruise, ship, or locations, would love to hear. I already read almost every article here on cruise critic.

Just FYI, there is already a facebook group for this tour and it is already over 200 members.

Just FYI, there is already a facebook group for this tour and it is already over 200 members.

Good to know. I am not a fan of Facebook and always forget it exists. Was on a cruise in November to Aruba with a 750+ gay group and the associated facebook page was kinda fun. But that's about all I have ever done with FB.

Looking forward to what Atlantis comes up with in regard to pre-cruise hotel / airfare deals (if any). When to actually book flights is always a gamble - too early and you pay too much - wait too long and the flights you want get sold out.

Best Wishes for the New Year!

• 2 months later...

We've made a reservation for this cruise during the Atlantis Mardi Gras Cruise - still waiting for confirmation.

We plan to spend a few days in Sitges at the end of the cruise and then either fly direct to Paris or go by train/rental car to avoid some of the dull bits before returning to London - where I will go on to the USA for a meeting and my partner will return to Australia via Singapore.

Can anyone provide the link to the Facebook Group - I can find one for the Med cruise from Barcelona but not the one form Amsterdam.

• 1 month later...

General consensus is that due to a major (medical?) convention in town the week of Sept 1, hotel rooms are hard to find and expensive when you do. Knowing of few alternatives, I used tried-and-true Expedia to find a not-so-cheap place in the downtown area (good reviews, close to train station and pier but just OK to gay area, I believe): Chic & Basic ($164/night for 2 persons).

Posts on Atlantis Alumni site suggest using sites to find spots in private homes (airbnb and gayhomestays); others say easy with local transport to stay outside downtown. Since Atlantis offers nothing pre-cruise, you just have to cross your fingers and do the best research you can.

See ya onboard!

Thanks, LBCABob. My friend and I actually got a good deal via priceline, around $200 near the train station. Amsterdam is small enough that everywhere is walking distance, so that should be fine.

My friend and I will be in London the weekend before going into the cruise, and may do a night in Koln before Amsterdam.

Do you by chance know if people are organizinf private tours in any/some of the ports? We would be interested in doing those vs buying from Celebrity (too crowded/expensive)

Nothing has been brought up on the Atlantis Alumni site beyond concerns over getting to/from the gay beach in Ibiza (e.g. taxis are hard to find, ship should have a shuttle, maybe rent a car/scooter, etc.), pre-/post-cruise hotels and general excitement about the cruise. Of course, if you have access to the AA site then I am not telling you anything new.

Based on my recent cruise around South America where I tried both ship and private tours, doing your homework about each port is vital to having a great day ashore.

My biggest problems with ship excursions is they, of course, have a set itinerary parts of which you may prefer to skip and spending a lot of time with strangers (i.e. fellow pax) often is a problem in itself. The cost sometimes is reasonable, often not. Pretty sure any tour on this cruise has the potential for fun when you get a bus full of gay guys together!

Same applies to private tours if nothing more than a standard tour with a local operator just set up by a person instead of the ship. Best experience was a private "taxi" tour of Tierra Del Fuego that was arranged by an straight couple from Iowa (met here on the Roll Call thread). It was just the 3 of us and the driver, Diego, who took us to just the places we wanted, stopped for as long as we wanted and provided good info about the "End of the World" as he lives there year-round. Of course, if the Iowa couple had been jerks, it could have been a day of torture.

I am just starting my port research now. Likely won't have access to Celebrity excursions until get Booking # from Atlantis in late July. Your guess is as good as mine as to what Atlantis may arrange specifically for this cruise.

Found a site called Whatsinport dot com that is a good overview and a place to start.

And, BTW, I too am going to London pre-cruise to do a little sight-seeing as mentioned in my first post here. Will look for you when at the top of the London Eye :)

You're right about ports. When a friend and I did the Baltic (not gay chartered) we had so much fun when we found a private group on a roll call here. And it was immensely cheaper, too! I have started to do research too. For example, in Lisbon my friend and i will definitely want to go to the Our Lady Of Fatima since we were/are both Catholics. In Cadiz, apparently the main attraction is its proximity to Seville.

I guess it's your first time in London? One of my favorite cities. I can probably give you tips. Perhaps we can all meet for drinks somewhere. We probably will arrive there the Sunday before.

Arrive in London (LHR) at 11:25 Friday 30 Aug which will be 3:25 Long Beach time. Rarely sleep on planes (unless drugged) and reviewing ways to combat jet lag (e.g. avoid caffeine, drink lots of water, don't nap upon arrival, generally force yourself to get on local time ASAP). Leaving Tue 1pm on EuroStar to Amsterdam so know will have time for just a few London sights.

Since I have no sense of history nor interest in British Royalty (although big Downton Abbey fan), looking forward more to trips on The Underground and maybe the Eye than seeing this or that famous building. Plan to meet a local (friend of a friend) who may be able to act as personal Tour Guide.

Can't decide if learning to deal with foreign currency is fun or a PITA. Using their phone system(s), finding way to charge iPad, always being wary of pickpockets are my typical tourist concerns. Pretty sure will be ready to get back to my quiet little Southern California neighborhood after a month traipsing around Europe.

If you know someone local, you'll do fine! If you are Downton Abbey fan, you may want to check out Windsor Castle !

The Apple charger works everywhere , so I don't think you will have peoblems charging your iPad. Onboard, you defijitely will have no problem

As a former Londoner (until I moved to Sydney 5 years ago) and regular returnee, I can provide some suggestions:

1. Jet Lag

We're flying in from Sydney so your jet lag issues are minimal by comparison!:p However, we've found that Valium is the best way of getting some rest on the flight (de-stressing - for my partner who has rampant "Plane Fever" - it's a Terminal disease :D) and adjusting to the new time zone after you've arrived. There's nothing worse than going to bed dog tired then waking up at 2am unable to get back to sleep.

2. Foreign Currencies

A PITA but much easier with the Euro - I used to travel a lot for business and had 15 different bags of currency in a bowl. However, of course you can't use Euros or Dollars in London. I never get currency before I travel and use the ATM in the airport when I arrive getting the minimum I need for the next 24 hrs - you can always get more from an ATM.

3. Phones

A phone is a phone is a phone - the only thing that changes is the dial tone and the International call prefix. If using a Mobile/Cell put a + in front of the country code and drop the first 0 and it will dial the International call prefix for you. e.g. for USA 01234 56789 becomes +1 1234 56789. If you save numbers in this format they will work internationally.

If you plan to use your Mobile/Cell phone overseas and can get your phone unlocked then either get a Pay As You Go SIM card for the country you are in. Or get an international roaming SIM card. If you can't get it unlocked then buy a cheap unlocked PAYG phone. You can buy phones and SIMs on eBay before you go to save time. AVOID using your mobile/cell for data roaming when overseas or get a hefty bill. Free WiFi is available in many places and you can also use Skype on the iPad/iPhone to make cheap international calls.

4. Charging iPad/iPhone

Electrical Sockets differ from the US standard in the UK and Europe. Buy an adaptor that can deal with both or buy one for UK and another for Spain. The ships usually have US/EU sockets.

5. Pickpockets

London's not such a big problem - it has the biggest coverage of CCTV cameras in the world. But Romanian gypsies are known to operate in the crowded main shopping areas like Oxford street.

Las Ramblas in Barcelona is notorious for pickpockets

Divide your cash around your pockets and don't be distracted by babies, newspapers, stuff spilt on your jacket etc. Don't flash your cash - I never carry more than $100 when travelling. You don't need much cash anyway - credit cards are accepted everywhere and ATMs are plentiful - leave valuables and spare credit cards hidden in your room or in the room safe.

6. Things to do in London.

Have a look at the Tripadvisor list of recommended sights and pick a few. The Time Out city guides are very good and include a good gay section.

In case you didn't already know, Soho is the centre of the Gay scene in London - Vauxhall tends to be have more edgy places.

7. Getting Around

London has the Oyster card which gives ticket-free travel on all public transport. You prepay on the card for a minimum of £10 and swipe for each trip but are charged less than buying individual tickets. You can buy them online and/or when you arrive.

Hope this helps

• 2 months later...

Does anyone already receive the booking number from Celebrity? We booked the cruise from Atlantis and we have only the confirmation # from Atlantis. We need the Celebrity booking number to do on-line check in and other stuffs.

Thanks.

Does anyone already receive the booking number from Celebrity? We booked the cruise from Atlantis and we have only the confirmation # from Atlantis. We need the Celebrity booking number to do on-line check in and other stuffs.

Thanks.

You won't recieved the number from Celebrity but from Atlantis. They usually will sent it 3 to 2 weeks before the start of the cruise via e-mail together with the excursions brochure. If everyone has recieved their number they will open the online check-in, booking of excursions, etc. On this cruise you cannot book any speciality restaurants on-line or purchase drink packages (except soda & water packages).

As a former Londoner (until I moved to Sydney 5 years ago) and regular returnee, I can provide some suggestions:

5. Pickpockets

London's not such a big problem - it has the biggest coverage of CCTV cameras in the world. But Romanian gypsies are known to operate in the crowded main shopping areas like Oxford street.

Las Ramblas in Barcelona is notorious for pickpockets

Divide your cash around your pockets and don't be distracted by babies, newspapers, stuff spilt on your jacket etc.

Hello,

The advice I treasure from a guide in Italy is to fold 4 x $1 bills and put two in each rear trouser/shorts' pockets. That way you could get your butt felt and it only cost you $2.:D

Regards,

Cublet

Archived