Sydney Helicopter Option vs. BridgeClimb??

TLCOhio

For Sidney, I am now facing a bit of a “challenge” on deciding whether to do the Harbour BridgeClimb or the new potential under consideration of a helicopter flight over some key area sights, including the harbor views, Opera House and cruise ship docking areas. From

http://www.blueskyhelicopters.com

this is one of the air service providing such a service/option. Their website has lots of interesting information and many video samples. These visuals really get you excited about doing this option. The helicopters take off from Sidney Kingsford Smith International airport, about eight miles south of the central business district/docking area. It appears this potential would provide a fairly time-efficient manner to fly over Bondi Beach, see the dramatic eastern cliffs of Dover Heights, the lighthouses at Signal Hill Reserve, Darling Point, Royal Botanic Park, the Opera House, Harbour Bridge, main downtown towers and buildings, etc.

Here are three of their different time/pricing options:

The 30-minute flight includes spectacular cliffs and golden beaches (including maybe Bondi) to the icons of their world famous Harbour, magnificent panoramic views. There are also options over Manly and the Northern Beaches. If we would do a private charter, it would cost $300 per passenger with just two people. or $234 per passenger with three or $225 per passenger with a total of four on a private charter.

The 20-minute Sydney Harbour Discovery flight offers panoramic views with

$190 per passenger for two passengers, $140 per passenger for three.

The 15-minute private charter would be $110 per person when booking for three passengers or $165 per person when booking for two on a private charter.

Their flights are scheduled from 9.00 am to 8:00 pm in summer and they use either a Robinson R44 or the Bell 206 B3 Jet Ranger helicopter. They shoot a cinema quality movie of your flight. It can be purchased after the flight for $60 and taken home on DVD or a USB stick.

A big plus for me with the helicopter is being able to get lots and lots of pictures!! With the BridgeClimb, you cannot take your camera with you (for safety reasons).

When the Solstice docked earlier this month, a local Aussie resident did some awesome pictures from a helicopter that have inspired me to consider this exciting potential. Do both?? Maybe, but there are time and budget limits. Can't do it ALL or even half or a quarter of the options in and around Sydney during our brief period there.

Reactions, options, comments, suggestions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,018 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From their videos on the website, here is a sampling of sights while doing the Sydney helicopter tour, including main harbor views, beach/coast shots, etc.:

SydHelicopterBridgeWholeView.jpg

SydHelicopterGalSeatedFront.jpg

SydHelicopterBeachViewOne.jpg

SydHelicopterOverviewWholeArea.jpg

SydHelicopterBridgeAngle2OperaHo.jpg

Terry, how low would they go? (helicopter). I know that you take really good pictures and probably have zoom lenses, but would it be the same as walking the bridge? I was going to do the walk but my PT said that I couldn't because I would have to go up 4 flights on a ladder and right now, that's out for me.

These two options are polar opposites so it's impossible to compare. Do both :D (can't take it with you, life's too short, you may never get back to OZ yada yada LOL)

If you do the Bridge Climb, I would recommend the twilight walk as you get the best of both day and night.

Edited by Debsta

I just did the helicopter ride with Blue Sky Helicopters and loved every minute of it. I now have my name down on a waitlist for a Blue Mountains flight. I was the one who booked in to see Celebrity Solstice and captured all the photographs of it. I would highly reccommend the Blue Sky helicopter people. The pilot Mark is a photographer and he owns the business and set it up with photography in mind. He flies with photography in mind and knows how to manouver the helicopter to get all the right shots.

In my opinion I would suggest the helicopter flight would be the best option for the following reasons:

1. You see more of Sydney, beaches, Opera House, Bridge, Many, Bondi, the entire harbour
  2. You can take your own camera and use it as much as you want.
  3. The helicopter has a window down option on the front door and doors off for the back doors. There is no wind draft that comes in.

Also if you do the helicopter ride there is another option regarding the bridge. It is the "Pylon Lookout" only $11.00 to enter and you climb 200 stairs to the top and you can take your own camera. http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/

From the Pylon Lookout you get to see this:

8305025135_1ce364a112_c.jpg

8305027273_9a0affb90a_c.jpg

8306076156_4719dd42c8_c.jpg

8306078700_f9f1b8f05d_c.jpg

8305034445_00e6b35d88_b.jpg

As far as capturing more sights go then the helicopter ride and pylon lookout would be the best option.

As far as the bridge climb goes it is entirely up to you. It looks like you have made up your mind slightly that you think the helicopter is the best option. I suspect you are keen to use your own camera and that may be the reason you prefer helicopter over bridge climb.

Also regarding helicopter rides if anyone is keen to share a seat then I am more than happy to pay my share to go up again to photograph cruise ships in Sydney with anyone who wants to do a private charter.

I think the helicopter ride because it will give you a better understanding of the layout of Sydney & it's harbour.

It always makes me think that a giant must have took a big bucket of water & threw it over the land, all the little bays & inlets are like the big puddle left behind.

But if time & finances allow, then try to do both, otherwise the pylon climb still gives you great views & a 'bridge' experience.

Although if you do miss one, then all the more reason to come back! :)

If you want the views then the helicopter is the best option. You cannot take your own camera on the bridge climb and has been already pointed out the Pylon lookout is a much cheaper option.

However the BridgeClimb is a lot of fun and gives you an insight into the construction of the Bridge. It's not that strenuous as the pace is very relaxed although there are some ladders to climb/descend.

I'd take the BridgeClimb for the overall experience but either way you can't go wrong.

I just did the helicopter ride with Blue Sky Helicopters and loved every minute of it. I was the one who booked in to see Celebrity Solstice and captured all the photographs of it. I would highly reccommend the Blue Sky helicopter people. The pilot Mark is a photographer and he owns the business and set it up with photography in mind. He flies with photography in mind and knows how to manouver the helicopter to get all the right shots.

In my opinion I would suggest the helicopter flight would be the best option for the following reasons:

1. You see more of Sydney, beaches, Opera House, Bridge, Many, Bondi, the entire harbour
  2. You can take your own camera and use it as much as you want.
  3. The helicopter has a window down option on the front door and doors off for the back doors. There is no wind draft that comes in.

Also if you do the helicopter ride there is another option regarding the bridge. It is the "Pylon Lookout" only $11.00 to enter and you climb 200 stairs to the top and you can take your own camera. http://www.pylonlookout.com.au/

As far as capturing more sights go then the helicopter ride and pylon lookout would be the best option. As far as the bridge climb goes it is entirely up to you. It looks like you have made up your mind slightly that you think the helicopter is the best option. I suspect you are keen to use your own camera and that may be the reason you prefer helicopter over bridge climb. Also regarding helicopter rides if anyone is keen to share a seat then I am more than happy to pay my share to go up again to photograph cruise ships in Sydney with anyone who wants to do a private charter.

gek: If you want the views then the helicopter is the best option. You cannot take your own camera on the bridge climb and has been already pointed out the Pylon lookout is a much cheaper option. However the BridgeClimb is a lot of fun and gives you an insight into the construction of the Bridge. It's not that strenuous as the pace is very relaxed although there are some ladders to climb/descend. I'd take the BridgeClimb for the overall experience but either way you can't go wrong.

avalon007: I think the helicopter ride because it will give you a better understanding of the layout of Sydney & it's harbour. It always makes me think that a giant must have took a big bucket of water & threw it over the land' date=' all the little bays & inlets are like the big puddle left behind. But if time & finances allow, then try to do both, otherwise the pylon climb still gives you great views & a 'bridge' experience. Although if you do miss one, then all the more reason to come back! [/quote']

springaussie: Sydney is famous for the Bridge Climb not Helicopter Flights.

Glen

Lots of super great insights and comments. So much very good to consider. Appreciate the help.

YES!! Sutho is the super hero who did the helicopter pictures that I love of the Solstice coming to Sydney for the first time earlier this month. That's been my "inspiration". Keep up the good tips and wonderful ideas coming. Ideally' date=' [b']doing BOTH[/b] would be best. Much will depend, however, on how our air bookings work out using Frequent Flyer miles and how much net time that allows us before our Solstice cruise starts on Jan. 20, 2014. Keep that excellent wisdom rolling along. This sharing is very beneficial in considering our many excellent options. By summer of 2013, we can better focused on potentials, the priorities, etc.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 113,065 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 10 months later...

YES, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and its walk at the top does interest me lots. Just ran across this article from a newspaper writer from the UK. Plus, was talking with a long-time friend yesterday afternoon. He's the former Prosecutor here, a former Judge and FBI agent. Very experienced traveler, including lots in Paris and other key parts of the world. They visited Australia and NZ in 2006, super loved everything about it, especially the people!! They really enjoyed the Opera House, saw Carmen there and then they noticed people walking on top of the Harbour Bridge. They wanted to do that . . . AND DID!!! Super, totally loved that bridge walking experience!! Despite my wife hesitation, his push for doing IT, is really affirming me to put this into the MUST DO! category for this adventure. He does not like heights, but he was clear that things were safe and good for doing this climb to the top. He shared lots of loves and details for visiting in both of these countries, especially the warm and fun nature for those folks from these wonderful areas. Really helps build up the excitement!!

From the Telegraph newspaper in London earlier this month, they have this headline: "Climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge" with these highlights from their 50 and 50 columnist doing adventures around the world: "I could never tire of Sydney Harbour. I’m mesmerised by the sail-shaped Opera House; curvaceous Harbour Bridge; Luna Park’s gaping grin; the tropical lushness of the Botanical Gardens and the ferries criss-crossing their way busily to my favourite ports, Manly and Mosman. My daily commute sailing between the northern shores and Circular Quay was one of the things that made living here such a pleasure 20 years ago. So, while I have been enthralled by new destinations like Brazil and Argentina on my 50 at 50 journey, it felt just as good to be returning to the familiarity of what I regard as my second home. I didn’t need to look far from my hotel room’s panoramic Sydney Harbour view to find fresh adventures in a city I knew so well. For some reason – probably because the opportunity didn’t exist more than 15 years ago – I hadn’t ever climbed Sydney Harbour Bridge. Now was my chance to scale the 134m-high pinnacle."

She continues to share: "Opened in 1932, this is the world’s largest (but not longest) steel-arch bridge. An adored Aussie symbol, it is the centrepiece for celebrations such as those on New Year’s Eve. Before stepping out onto the bridge, I was hooked to a ‘slider’ – a wired contraption that prevents you from falling off. The device may reassure vertigo sufferers whose worst nightmares quite possibly feature peering through steel mesh steps to the tiny dots of people, cars, yachts and even cruise ships far below. Our guide explained that those who freeze with fear during their climb tend to do so when they initially step out from the shelter of the sturdy granite pylons onto the first open platform. Yet only around 10 people per week from the three million who have successfully ascended ever turn back. In groups of 12, you walk slowly in single file behind your team leader, sliding your tethered hook along like a dog on a short leash. At first you need to duck under some low-hanging beams, although there is plenty of padded protection for anyone who may have their gaze averted by the 360 degree views of Circular Quay, the Opera House, Darling Harbour and out into the open ocean at Bondi and Manly. Once I recovered from an initial queasy feeling of being so high up, I found the climb exhilarating. Yes, it was steep in parts, but I felt perfectly safe and we stopped often enough to ask questions and catch our breath."

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/solo-travel/10433445/50-at-50-climbing-the-Sydney-Harbour-Bridge.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 125,131 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Good question. My vote is for the helicopter ride.

We had a German exchange student stay with us last year and we opted to do the helicopter ride instead of the bridgeclimb. The bridgeclimb takes 3 hours and you cannot take photos. The helicopter ride you see more of the harbour -bondi/manly as well - up close and you get great photos. Our student was seated in the front of the helicopter next to the pilot, our daughter was in one of the backseats. The pilot was great and gave an interesting commentary. Both loved it and got excellent photos.

Look out for discount helicopter flights online.

H Terry

One thing I might add is check with the helicopter company if they fly over the bridge. I gave my father a helicopter flight as a birthday present. His pilot flew them over the bridge and he absolutely loved that they did that. When my girls did it, a year later, with another company, they flew a different route, over the Opera House but not directly over the bridge. It may depend on conditions on the day but its something worth asking if its important to you. By the way, the girls still got great bridge shots.