Back from Elation 5/15 Sailing

cruiserkcs

We took our son & a friend on this cruise for their high school graduation trip. I was worried about 4 of us being in 1 cabin, but it worked out fine. As long as everything is kept organized, it doesn't seem too crowded.

We drove to Galveston on Saturday & stayed at LaQuinta Inn on the seawall. Adequate, clean hotel. It's next door to Salt Grass Steakhouse.

I had booked EZ Cruise Parking online about 1 1/2 weeks prior to the cruise for $45. I called EZ Cruise @ 10:00a.m. on Sunday & they said they were already transporting people to the ship, but when we got there 10 minutes later, it was different story. We could park, but could not get to the ship, yet. So, we parked & walked a couple of blocks to the Strand, which had some nice shops. Returned to the lot about 45 minutes later and was transported to the ship. We zipped thru security & check-in with almost no lines. We had a carry-on loaded with water & soft drinks & nothing was said. The waiting chairs to board the ship were full, so we stood against the wall, but only for a few minutes before we were all called to board. Very easy process.

We were in cabin 203 on the Empress Deck, which is the deck we boarded the ship on, so we dropped our carry-ons off in the cabin. Lawrence, the cabin steward, was in the room. He is great & very accommodating. He kept our ice chest fuilled with ice & met every request we made, so we gave him an extra tip in cash at the end of the cruise. From here, we headed to Tiffany's for lunch. It was not very crowded at all.

The only thing we did in Progreso was take the shuttle bus into town, walked around the flea market, walked to Corona Beach & the boys purchased a $1 Corona (no id required & one of them was only 17) with a neck strap included just to say they did it. We then reboarded the shuttle & headed back to the pier & looked around the shops at the pier a bit before reboarding the ship. The shops at the pier seemed more reasonable than the flea market & you didn't have to haggle.

In Cozumel, we docked downtown by Carlos & Charlies. Took a taxi for $15 to Paradise Beach. We loved this beach! It was very clean & well maintained. You can't beat the price. The chairs, umbrellas, hammocks, & picnic tables are free. If you want to use a float, snorkel, climb the floating iceberg, kayak, or jump on the water tramploine, you purchase a $5 bracelet. The boys rented a jet ski for $50 for 30 minutes. I was a little apprehensive about renting a jet ski in Mexico, but I gave in because the water was calm & there were no other jet skis out in the water. They were safe & everything was okay. We ordered frozen virgin drinks for $5 each & they were delicious. The bathrooms were very clean. We headed back to town in the early afternoon & went to Senior Frogs & the shops. Senior Frogs was wild! I let the boys order a drink & get a shot. Again, no id required. I'll let the shot process be a surprise. It was hilaarious. It was $3/shot. We ordered nachos & chicken quesadillas. They were both delicious. With 2 Bahama Mamas, a water bottle, nachos, & quesadillas, the bill was about $33 (this does not include the shots).

In Belize, I did the Rendevous Caye Snorkeling excursion while the guys did the Lost World Canopy tour. We enjoyed both. For the snorkeling tour, the catamaran picked us up at the ship. It was a very nice, large, new catamaran. It was about a 35 minute ride out to the Caye. Soft drinks were served on the ride out & rum punch & beer was served on the island after snorkeling & on the return trip. They supplied the snorkeling vests, mask, snorkel, & fins. The catamaran anchors just offshore of the Caye (it's shallow enough to walk to the island). The snorkeling is a guided a tour. About half way, he will offer those that are tired to go to shore. I wasn't tired, so I kept going & was glad I did. The snorkeling got much better after this point. I saw a lot of coral, but not many fish. After snorkeling, unfortunately, there was very little time left to lie on the beach or float on the mats provided.

The guys had a blast on the Lost World Canopy tour. The bus ride (air conditioned tour-type bus) was about 1 1/2 hours long on a very bumpy road. They had brought their own bug spray, but bug spray was provided at the site. If you are afraid of heights, as I am, do not do this tour. You are sometimes standing on grid platforms. I think you do 5 ziplines and 2 rappels. No lunch is provided, so bring a snack.

We did the self-assist debarkation. The ship docked at 7:00 a.m. & we were boarding the shuttle bus to the parking lot at 7:50. The line on the ship was crowded and the luggage is burdensome, but I really think it was pretty smooth & fairly quick.

I didn't think the entertainment on this cruise was as good as others I've been on. But, the service was fantastic everywhere on the ship. Winston, our dining room waiter, was fabulous. We gave him an extra tip in cash. There were constantly cleaning the ship. There are some stains on the carpet in the halls, but that is to be expected. I did smell a sewer odor on the Embassy deck around the cabins behind the purser's desk, but nothing horrible & only in one area. I thought the ship's decor was beautiful. Overall, it wasn't the best cruise I've taken, but it was nice & relaxing.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Glad you had a good time and really enjoyed reading your review! We are going in December and are in E195 which is two doors further forward than yours. Was the room OK? Much motion in the back? How were the beds on the walls? We have always gone by ourselves (staying mid ship on Empress Deck) but are taking our boys (6 & 2) with us this time and don't really know what to expect with two berths. Thanks for any input and thank you for your review.:)

We did not feel much motion at all in the room. It is a very good location. The stairs & elevator are very close, but not close enough to be noisy. Our dining room was one deck up and Tiffany's was above us a few decks up, also. The bunk beds are only put down at night, so they are not in your way during the day. If your twin beds are pushed together to make king, one bunk is above your head and one bunk is over some on the opposite wall from the first bunk. We found it gave us more room to have the twin beds apart. My husband & I would have preferred to sleep together, but it was spacer with the beds apart. With the beds apart, one bunk is above the head of the twin bed next to the window. The other bunk is parallel to the twin lower bed against the adjoining wall. I probably did not describe that well. I hope you understand. It really was not bad at all. Enjoy your cruise.

You explained it great. I can't wait to go. We will probably put the beds together and put our 2 year old (almost 3 when we sail) in the berth over our bed, just in case he falls out of bed. Thanks a bunch and when are you cruising next? We try to do one every other year but would really like to go a couple of times a year. Maybe when we retire. Only 30 or so years to go until then. lol:)

Hi Okiemom,

I'm not sure when our next cruise will be. I've done 3 cruises within the past year. We are going to the Panama City Beach for a few days of relaxation at the end of June. I don't think we will do a cruise next year for our big vacation. I was thinking of trying an all-inclusive. We've never done that. Have you ever stayed at an all-inclusive? If so, how was it?

What a great review. We are also going on the Elation in August. Also we are staying at the La Quinta in on the Seawall. Was it across the street from the ocean? Within walking distance? We are also parking at EZ Cruise. How far from the terminal is it? Could we possibly walk to the terminal from the lot?

Hi Excited Cruiser,

I think there are 2 LaQuinta's on the Seawall. The address to the one we stayed at was 1402 Seawall. It was across the street from the beach, but there was nothing on the beach side, so nothing to obstruct the view. There is one of those buttons on the light pole on the corner to push to get the traffic to stop so you can cross the street. There is a wide sidewalk on the beach side, but the beach is downhill from the sidewalk, so you will need to use the steps that are placed every block or so.

EZ Cruise is about 5 to 10 minutes from the hotel. Yes, you can walk from the parking lot to the terminal, but I wouldn't do it with luggage. It's not that far, but too far to drag luggage. I think the shuttle will take you and the luggage over to the terminal as soon as the terminal is accepting passengers.

Have Fun!

Haven't done an all inclusive but have wondered if they were any good. I really like the idea of not having to worry about having enough money for food, hotel, activities, etc... I looked into the Moon Palace at one time (in Cancun) and if you buy a package with them you can use the facilities at all of their Cancun locations (pool, beach, food, etc...). I looked into this one because it is at the end of Cancun and off the beaten path. Haven't looked into any others but have hear that Sandals Resorts are nice too. The price is fairly close to a cruise and a cruise you get to go more places. Anyway, Thanks for everything I am really looking forward to our cruise. Only 185 days to go.:)

Hi Okiemom,

I'm not sure when our next cruise will be. I've done 3 cruises within the past year. We are going to the Panama City Beach for a few days of relaxation at the end of June. I don't think we will do a cruise next year for our big vacation. I was thinking of trying an all-inclusive. We've never done that. Have you ever stayed at an all-inclusive? If so, how was it?

I've stayed at several Club Med resorts, which are all-inclusive, except for the booze. What I liked was that the facilities are clean and the food was good. The rooms are small, no T.V., no phone, no A/C. I think you still have to pay $50.00/person to be a member. For a family, Ixstapa (sp?), Mexico was best. They group the kids by age and off they go while you relax. Its been a few years so things have probably changed and I know that 9/11 really hurt a number of the facilities and some were shut down. Hope this helps.

Neveslaw

Do you know what age the kids can start going to activities at Club Med. I always thought that most of the resorts (ie: Club Med, Sandles, Beaches...) were for adults didn't know that there were things for children. And do the prices that you get include transportation? Thanks for any input.

Check out Clubmed.com They have properties designed for families. I always booked my own air but they did have ground transport from/to airport. The kids group started at 3 years old I think.

To the poster going to Panama City Beach, be sure to visit Schooners. It is a fun place to eat right on the beach! It is called the "Last local beach club!" Their crab claws-sauteed or fried--are the Best! Our best friends moved to PCB three years ago and we love to visit them, eat there, and watch them shoot off the canon at dusk. They have live music begining around 2 pm. The have a live web cam--I think it is under Schooners-the last local beach club. (just search using google!) Have fun.:)

Momof4boys - thanks for the info on PCB restaurant. I was just looking for places to eat on the web yesterday.

neveslaw & okiemom - thanks for the all-inclusive info. I'm going to start doing my research for next year. I, too, have looked into Moon Palace before. It will probably be at the top of the list. Mexico does seem to have the best rates for all-inclusives, but I would prefer the Virgin Islands, Turks & Caicos, or Aruba. But, of course, I'll probably choose the one that gives me the most amenities for the best price.

;) Thanks cruiserkcs for your info,

we are going june 19th and also staying at the La Quinta Inn, 1402. They said they have free parking, and we could get a taxi for $10.00 each.. did you hear anything about that?

mstea,

I did inquire over the phone prior to our arrival about the free parking. They did tell me it was free parking and a taxi would be $15 or less. That would be about $30 r/t. I decided to go with EZ Cruise Parking because it was only $45 by reserving online. I figured that would be easier rather than loading & unloading luggage in a taxi & loading back in our car. I also felt that EZ Cruise might be more secure parking. I was glad I made that decision after we got to the hotel, because the parking was somewhat limited at the hotel & it's not that the hotel is in a bad part of town, but it sure wasn't the most upscale part of the island. I think EZ Cruise was probably easier and safer. There is a fence around EZ Cruise's lot.

:) thanks for the info, do you have to reserve the parking before hand, or can you just show up?

If you reserve on line it's $45, show up and it's $55 . . . and they might be full - they wanted to know if we wanted to sell back our spot when we got down there!

okiemom--We were in cabin 203 in Dec. with our 9 yr. old and 16 mo. old. We put the twin beds together, next to the window. The 16 mo. old slept with us and the 9 yr. old slept in the bunk on the left side of the room. We never had the other bunk down (above our bed).

Here's a pic of the room:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/232420859/232426599BRyxmY

lisaland

Thanks for the pictures. I don't know yet if we will put our 2 (almost 3 at sailing) in the bunk or in bed with us. I guess we will just have to wait a see how he does. Not using the bunk above our bed would give us a little less crowded feeling. Thanks for all the tips and we can't wait only 179 days to go.:p

neveslaw--Thanks. :) The pool is deeper at the slide side and shallower at the other for wading and smaller kids. It's not real big, but it never seemed overcrowded. My son was the only one that swam in it, though. My daughter was not potty trained. We got enough water time between Cozumel and Belize. My hubby and son even went swimming in the cenote while on the Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruin Tour in Progreso (through Carnival). It was fresh water, and up to 130 ft. deep.

Full shot:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/232420859/232426921YBlemd

Mid pool:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/232420859/232429312MzazZB

Cenote:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/232323399/232325415KGllqf

http://community.webshots.com/photo/232323399/232325533qcwuqI

okiemom--We travel a lot. I bought a portable bed guardrail, so my daughter can be on one side of my hubby and I, instead of the middle. The railing on the bunks aren't very long. You can always take the mattress off the top bunk and put it on the floor--maybe under the other bunk and have the beds for you and hubby pushed together by the window.

lisa

That sounds like a good idea. Putting the mattress on the floor would allow all of us to sleep more sound, especially us, so we won't have a two year olds knees and elbow in our back and face. Does the cruiseline bring cookies for the kids in the evening? Or do I need to order through room service? I really want the boys to have fun and to enjoy the trip so we can take them again. This is our first BIG family trip, only weekenders up to this point.:) Thanks for all of your help! Did yours like Camp Carnival?

We drove to Galveston on Saturday & stayed at LaQuinta Inn on the seawall. Adequate, clean hotel. It's next door to Salt Grass Steakhouse.

I had booked EZ Cruise Parking online about 1 1/2 weeks prior to the cruise for $45. I called EZ Cruise @ 10:00a.m. on Sunday & they said they were already transporting people to the ship, but when we got there 10 minutes later, it was different story. We could park, but could not get to the ship, yet.

Did you have a reason you didn't want to park free at the hotel? Or have they stopped doing this? They were doing it in January when I last cruised.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thread before posting. I used the free parking at LaQuinta and had no problems. I felt it was safe.

okiemom--You'll have to order room service for the cookies to be delivered to your room. I think they do have snacks for the kids if you use the group babysitting (10pm-3am).

As my son has gotten older, he's enjoyed Camp Carnival more. Make sure you go to the Welcome Aboard party for the kids in the disco. Even though my little one was too young for their program, she just loved Funship Freddy, their mascot.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/232420859/232427255NGHJgW

http://community.webshots.com/photo/232427426/232427426oHhjDP

On the last cruise, he was 9. He stayed in the group babysitting until it ended (not every night, though). The counselors brought him back to our room (at about 3:30am), so we didn't have to get up and get him. They even played "Capture the Flag" in the huge lounge at 2:00am or so.

They will give you a pager for the little one if you want. At 5, my son was still pretty attached to us, so he didn't stay in real late or for too many hours at a time. You'll get a schedule of all the activities for their age group. We just went through them with our son, and he chose what to do (with a little encouragement from Mom and Dad :) ).

moonvine--We used EZ Cruise Parking twice (the third time this Nov.). Now, we live close enough to drive down that day, so I don't know about parking at the hotel. But EZ made it very easy. Both times we were on the shuttle both there and back within minutes.

Archived