Great Vietnam Tours

Mr BowWow

We used Ann Tours in all of the Viet Nam ports and were very pleased. They were very professional. We paid our deposits using credit cards. I would hesitate about sending a cash deposit. You have no recourse.

• 2 months later...
I seldom if ever give recommendations of anyone or anything. However, the best part of my spectacular Southeast Asia holiday were the tours arranged by Mr. Zoom. I cannot say enough for Zoom's planning and then the follow through by his guides. The drivers were very good, the tour guides were tremendous. My entire group really enjoyed our visits to HCMC, Hue, Hoi Ann, Danang and Hanoi. The tours were warm and personable and all three young men were quite flexible to make changes and satisfy the group. Mr. Zoom was available to us at all times for any questions, suggestions or clarifications. Vietnam is a beautiful third world country...the guides led us in the past through the present. At this time in history, it is a fantastic time to visit and view the country. Thank you to Zoom for making this a memorable trip.

You joined in 2003 but wrote seldom.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've been getting some quotes for tours in Vietnam from Ms. Ha, Zoom and Smile. For those of you that have booked such tours in the past, I'm curious if you simply accepted the quoted price or if you negotiated a better one.

TIA for the advice.

We booked with Ann Tours and I did not negotiate. The price seemed reasonable for what we got and I didn't want to nickel and dime them. We did get a discount based on the number of people. We were very happy with our tours.

We've been getting some quotes for tours in Vietnam from Ms. Ha, Zoom and Smile. For those of you that have booked such tours in the past, I'm curious if you simply accepted the quoted price or if you negotiated a better one.

TIA for the advice.

Mr Zoom has sent unauthorized e-mail advertising to folks on these threads. Would not deal with him. Ms Ha requires cash deposits sent through Western Union. Will not deal with her either.

We booked two tours with Ann Tours and were very happy with them.

Edited by General Max

Mr Zoom has sent unauthorized e-mail advertising to folks on these threads. Would not deal with him. Ms Ha requires cash deposits sent through Western Union. Will not deal with her either.

We booked two tours with Ann Tours and were very happy with them.

According to her web site, Ms. Ha offers Western Union (and bank xfers) as an option if it costs you less in fees but also accepts Visa and Master Card.

Interesting to read these stories.

I received many unrequested emails from tour guides operating in Vietnam for months leading up to my cruise. They found my email address by perusing through the roll call and my past posts.

Anyhow, I received an anonymous email from someone slandering Zoom talking about how he was illegal and unlicensed, blah blah blah.

I asked Zoom directly about the information in the email he sent me, and Zoom was more than happy to send to me his license information and other materials proving himself as a authorized tour guide, even though I did not ask for this info. I was just sending him the email to tell him that I received a negative email from someone else.

I had already decided at this time to take a tour with Zoom.

In the end, I'm so glad I did. He was the tour guide for Chelsea Clinton when she was in HMC in 2000 while he was a tour guide for someone else's company before he started his own company. He's legitimate and professional and I couldn't have asked for a better day.

I've been on numerous cruises and have done private tours around the world, I can say without hesitation that Zoom's tour was one of the best, most professional tours I've done. We were well taken care of, we saw tons, did lots, and had a fantastic time.

Our group of 14 saw more than the ships tour did at half the cost. In fact, our per person cost for the tour was less than the ship's "on your own" tour of HMC. Can't beat that! (and our tour cost included water in the van, drinks at the Rex Hotel, lunch at Pho 2000 - our only out of pocket costs was our own personal shopping)

According to her web site, Ms. Ha offers Western Union (and bank xfers) as an option if it costs you less in fees but also accepts Visa and Master Card.

She may take credit cards now but she didn't when we tried to book in December, 2012. She told us to use Western Union and we said no then canceled the booking. Ended up using Ann Tours for two tours in Viet Nam.

I received many unrequested emails from tour guides operating in Vietnam for months leading up to my cruise. They found my email address by perusing through the roll call and my past posts.

Anyhow, I received an anonymous email from someone slandering Zoom talking about how he was illegal and unlicensed, blah blah blah.

I asked Zoom directly about the information in the email he sent me, and Zoom was more than happy to send to me his license information and other materials proving himself as a authorized tour guide, even though I did not ask for this info. I was just sending him the email to tell him that I received a negative email from someone else.

In the end, I'm so glad I did. He was the tour guide for Chelsea Clinton when she was in HMC in 2000 while he was a tour guide for someone else's company before he started his own company. He's legitimate and professional and I couldn't have asked for a better day.

I've been on numerous cruises and have done private tours around the world, I can say without hesitation that Zoom's tour was one of the best, most professional tours I've done. We were well taken care of, we saw tons, did lots, and had a fantastic time.

Our group of 14 saw more than the ships tour did at half the cost. In fact, our per person cost for the tour was less than the ship's "on your own" tour of HMC. Can't beat that! (and our tour cost included water in the van, drinks at the Rex Hotel, lunch at Pho 2000 - our only out of pocket costs was our own personal shopping)

I couldn't agree with you more about the tour with Zoom. I had sent him emails long before our cruise actually started and he always replied promptly. We were lucky enough to have him as our guide in HCMC; he speaks English well and is very knowledgable. My only regret is that we did not stay overnight in HCMC as he had suggested. We were picked up from the ship early the next morning for the Cuchi Tunnel Tours. I had no problems with remitting a deposit to him as he pre-purchased the port permits so that we could leave immediately once we were off the ship. It's only fair; if we hadn't shown up or cancelled at the last minute, he would be out-of-pocket.

I made my tour deposit to Ms Ha thru Western Union last month. No problem. She received payment the next day.

I made my tour deposit to Ms Ha thru Western Union last month. No problem. She received payment the next day.

You are a trusting soul in dealing with Asian tour operators. A lot of people have been scammed. Just check out these threads.

You are a trusting soul in dealing with Asian tour operators. A lot of people have been scammed. Just check out these threads.

Believe me I'm not a trusting person. I was originally from SE Asia myself, I'm aware of what you're talking about. I also know some friends sending money back home thru WU without any problems.

I have been communicating with Ms Ha since last year when I booked my tours. Ms Ha is highly recommended in the CC boards. Before I made the deposit I made sure it's safe to send her the deposit thru Western Union. I believe that if you have a reputable person on the receiving end it's okay. I have also read quite a few people on this boards who have successfully made deposits thru WU...

Out of curiosity, what, if any fees are involved going through WU? Is it cheaper than a credit card fee of 3%?

Get a credit card that does not charge the 3% foreign transaction fee. Capital One has one.

Western Union will charge $10 US to send a $150 US deposit. Good luck getting your money back if you have to cancel.

Get a credit card that does not charge the 3% foreign transaction fee. Capital One has one.

Western Union will charge $10 US to send a $150 US deposit. Good luck getting your money back if you have to cancel.

There are a few other major credit cards out there that don't charge a foreign transaction fee --- American Express Platinum and UnitedMileage Explorer Plus from Chase.

Just to clarify, Mrs. Ha charges 3% in addition to any fee charged by Visa. (I have a Capital One card on the way.) Also, I looked up the Western Union fees and it is actually $6. Cancellation issues aside, it therefore pays to use WU if the payment is more than $200. That is was Mrs. Ha is stating: use the method that results in the smallest fees. Not unusual for a vendor to pass on their credit card costs in my experience.

• 1 month later...
I had no problems with remitting a deposit to him as he pre-purchased the port permits so that we could leave immediately once we were off the ship. It's only fair; if we hadn't shown up or cancelled at the last minute, he would be out-of-pocket.

Hi,

We are thinking of booking with Zoom Tours. On day 1 Saigon city tour and day 2 Mekong Delta.

May I ask you what you paid as a deposit?

Our cost for the 2 days is approx. $92 pp. and he is asking for a $50 per person refundable deposit.

Reasonable?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I posed the same question posed to mjbc.

We are thinking of booking with Zoom Tours. On day 1 Saigon city tour and day 2 Mekong Delta.

Our cost for the 2 days is approx. $92 pp. (4 people) and he is asking for a $50 per person refundable deposit.

Is the $50 pp deposit reasonable and in line with what you paid?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I posed the same question posed to mjbc.

Our cost for the 2 days is approx. $92 pp. (4 people) and he is asking for a $50 per person refundable deposit.

Is the $50 pp deposit reasonable and in line with what you paid?

Thanks in advance!

We had a very large group and the deposit is also around that percentage of the full cost of the tour, so that is quite reasonable. You can fully trust him, he is highly professional and takes very good care of his clients. He's also quite a good photographer and takes photos of your tour for you on his own camera then gives you the CD of the photos.