majesty cruise

Hi all well just got back from the majesty , very mixed feelings about it . There seems to be plenty of lounge space inside ship ,and does look nice . But upstairs on the deck it seems so cramped , once the loungers go out there is hardly any room to walk past . The pool area seems the same , and as for the eating upstairs thought it was terrible . The tea area is right by the door and nowhere to sit your cup to get ur milk etc. so you are in everybodys way . The entertainment was different , but do prefer the other ships . Only had one choppy night the rest was pretty good . The xmas lights in Maderia were stunning worth going up late to see them on .

Mrs. C

Hi all well just got back from the majesty , very mixed feelings about it . There seems to be plenty of lounge space inside ship ,and does look nice . But upstairs on the deck it seems so cramped , once the loungers go out there is hardly any room to walk past . The pool area seems the same , and as for the eating upstairs thought it was terrible . The tea area is right by the door and nowhere to sit your cup to get ur milk etc. so you are in everybodys way . The entertainment was different , but do prefer the other ships . Only had one choppy night the rest was pretty good . The xmas lights in Maderia were stunning worth going up late to see them on .

Mrs. C

OMG :eek: We are going on her in 5 weeks (on Berwyn's recommendation :rolleyes: ) Hope we haven't made a mistake :rolleyes:

OMG :eek: We are going on her in 5 weeks (on Berwyn's recommendation :rolleyes: ) Hope we haven't made a mistake :rolleyes:

What Mrs C. says is very true but it did not stop us enjoying our holiday. The towel game definitely raised the blood pressure though they have 'promised' to sort that out.

After one lunchtime meal at the buffet we did not return....not my cup of tea. We had lunch on shore or in the MDR which was lovely.

The lack of seating in the Jubilee lounge for the second performance was a problem too. I wonder if there are changes there?

IMO there are 2,3,4 and 5 star areas of the ship. Cabins and lido areas 2 star,

Bars and lounges 3 and 4 star, MDR 4 star and breakfast and entertainment in Jubilee lounge 5 star. My advice is to have a quick look round and decide what suits you.

Not wanting to wish your holiday away, Linda but I look forward to your review. It's the ports of call that are important to us and I am hoping to catch some sun on shore rather than on deck.

Hi Jakanne

35 days and 63 days now :)

I forgot you had been on the Majesty before. I'm sure it will be fine. I've enjoyed all my cruises with Thomson, even the first one on the Dream to a certain extent.:rolleyes: I'm more concerned about the weather really. I know it is not certain we will get good weather in February, but at least you are on a ship, not trailing around in the evening looking for a restaurant in the cold and we haven't got that crossing to Agadir :eek::eek:

I agree too - especially with Jakanne's summary of the different areas. It's elements of the physical design of the ship which put me off and make it my least favourite Thomson ship - and issues in the main which despite their best efforts are difficult to do much about. But they have improved the range/style of evening shows more in line with the other ships (they started off with just all cabaret style shows which were good but rather repetitive) and if they are strict about the 'towel' issue that will help too.

But having said that we did have a great time - the service was excellent, food in the mdr perhaps the best we've had on Thomson (design and limited seating in the self service meant we used the two mdr almost exclusively) and I wouldn't rule out a return visit for the right price and itinerary. And as Mrs C says there are some nice, spacious areas on board too (I'd give the Bistro a try too - it was superb). It's just that in comparison to the other ships it's layout lets it down somewhat for me - but you'll get the usual friendly, warm Thomson experience and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves. We did despite my comments (it's all comparative.)

Look forward to your break - it's all relative. I trust like us you will have a really good holiday - none of the 'criticisms' stoppped us having a good one - but that doesn't mean you can't be objective. But like Jakanne I'll be very interested to read your opinion on your return as I know you are fair and justify your likes/dislikes about different ships.

But do look forward to your holiday - and enjoy!! (And i hope the weather is great too!) ;)

Hi Jakanne

I forgot you had been on the Majesty before. I'm sure it will be fine. I've enjoyed all my cruises with Thomson, even the first one on the Dream to a certain extent.:rolleyes: I'm more concerned about the weather really. I know it is not certain we will get good weather in February, but at least you are on a ship, not trailing around in the evening looking for a restaurant in the cold and we haven't got that crossing to Agadir

I know what you mean about the crossing to Agadir. My sister was on a cruise years ago (new years eve in Madeira :)) and then to Agadir and Casablanca but they never got there as the sea was too rough to dock so they had days at sea in the rough weather.

The weather should be ok...lots of people I know seem to go to the Canaries in January/February when business is quiet. As long as it is not raining! Just having someone waiting on you hand and foot is a holiday for me. :)

I don't have other cruise ships to compare with but I have stayed in a variety of hotels worldwide and I think on the majesty it is just a case of finding whereabouts you feel the most comfortable and you will enjoy yourself...you will :D:)

I agree too - especially with Jakanne's summary of the different areas. It's elements of the physical design of the ship which put me off and make it my least favourite Thomson ship - and issues in the main which despite their best efforts are difficult to do much about. But they have improved the range/style of evening shows more in line with the other ships (they started off with just all cabaret style shows which were good but rather repetitive) and if they are strict about the 'towel' issue that will help too.

But having said that we did have a great time - the service was excellent, food in the mdr perhaps the best we've had on Thomson (design and limited seating in the self service meant we used the two mdr almost exclusively) and I wouldn't rule out a return visit for the right price and itinerary. And as Mrs C says there are some nice, spacious areas on board too (I'd give the Bistro a try too - it was superb). It's just that in comparison to the other ships it's layout lets it down somewhat for me - but you'll get the usual friendly, warm Thomson experience and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves. We did despite my comments (it's all comparative.)

Look forward to your break - it's all relative. I trust like us you will have a really good holiday - none of the 'criticisms' stoppped us having a good one - but that doesn't mean you can't be objective. But like Jakanne I'll be very interested to read your opinion on your return as I know you are fair and justify your likes/dislikes about different ships.

But do look forward to your holiday - and enjoy!! (And i hope the weather is great too!) ;)

Excellent comments Kruzseeka and I just noticed you have booked another cruise......must be to the Caribbean ....how lucky you are. :)

We had a lovely time on Majesty in Sept. (I know I've said it before) And didn't want to get off after our week's cruise. I know the pool area and sun lounging areas are cramped, but as we don't do them it was of no bother to us. We loved the Bistro. So much in fact we went back for another meal there. The 1st time we've used the a la carte restaurant on a ship.

Berwyn

We had a lovely time on Majesty in Sept. (I know I've said it before) And didn't want to get off after our week's cruise. I know the pool area and sun lounging areas are cramped, but as we don't do them it was of no bother to us. We loved the Bistro. So much in fact we went back for another meal there. The 1st time we've used the a la carte restaurant on a ship.

Berwyn

Good idea for my March birthday celebration Berwyn. :D. It was practically empty when we were there at beginning of September (just missed you again). A couple we met ate there every night except one, though. I got the impression they could order just what they wanted.

Good idea for my March birthday celebration Berwyn. :D. It was practically empty when we were there at beginning of September (just missed you again). A couple we met ate there every night except one, though. I got the impression they could order just what they wanted.

I've just asked Delyth and we both agree that while lovely the menu was not that varied that you would eat there almost every night of the cruise.

Berwyn

Berwyn

Hi Berwyn, Hope you and Delyth had a good Christmas.

We don't actually like sitting by the pool as it is usually sooo noisy, but we do like to sit somewhere quiet with a book, such as on the promenade deck on the Dream. I don't think the Majesty has a promenade deck has it? If not are there any little nooks where I can find a couple of chairs to sit quietly with my new Kobo :):)

Not wanting to wish your holiday away, Linda but I look forward to your review. It's the ports of call that are important to us and I am hoping to catch some sun on shore rather than on deck.

But like Jakanne I'll be very interested to read your opinion on your return as I know you are fair and justify your likes/dislikes about different ships.

;)

I will do my best to keep notes about the ports of call for you Jakanne. :) I have been to the Canaries before, but La Gomera is new to us and only spent a few hours in La Palma, so looking forward to seeing more of the Island.

Thank you for your kind words, Kruzseeka :) I will do a review on my return. But next week, I am going to set up a folder, so shall be asking for tips :D

Hi Berwyn, Hope you and Delyth had a good Christmas.

We don't actually like sitting by the pool as it is usually sooo noisy, but we do like to sit somewhere quiet with a book, such as on the promenade deck on the Dream. I don't think the Majesty has a promenade deck has it? If not are there any little nooks where I can find a couple of chairs to sit quietly with my new Kobo :):)

Hi Linda,, Thank you we had a lovely if weird Xmas. Xmas Eve Delyth's dad had a fresh bronze turkey £36 reduced to £10 and he cooked it at home and brought it over. So we chilled out all Xmas morning and only had to cook the veg and trimmings. Then we thought we would only be the 3 of us for Xmas, but we had both boys who were away for Xmas with us on videophone in the afternoon. It was like all of us were together.

Back to the Majesty, they have a Promenade deck on deck7 and there is a quiet area at the back of deck 8 to sit on.

Berwyn

Yes there were sun loungers on the promenade deck but the port side (right side facing front if I got that wrong) is the smoking side and it does depend whether you want sun or shade. Hence my previously told tale of carrying a sun lounger through 2 sets of doors to the other side!

There are also a few sunbeds on deck 8 at the back which are best accessed from steps outside from the promenade deck because I found it hard to find from the inside at first.

It was very peaceful on the prom deck and very occasionally a waiter came round to take drinks orders but was very slow to return.

I've just asked Delyth and we both agree that while lovely the menu was not that varied that you would eat there almost every night of the cruise.

Berwyn

Ray thinks its a good idea to try the Bistro and that he wanted to do so last time. I think the fact that you can order off menu in the Bistro and have a quiet table for 2 may have been a deciding factor for eating there often. I thought the food was very good in the MDR but DH thought it would have been better. I also enjoyed meeting lots of different people at dinner in the MDR.

Ray thinks its a good idea to try the Bistro and that he wanted to do so last time. I think the fact that you can order off menu in the Bistro and have a quiet table for 2 may have been a deciding factor for eating there often. I thought the food was very good in the MDR but DH thought it would have been better. I also enjoyed meeting lots of different people at dinner in the MDR.
How much is the Bistro? We have never used the pay extra dining as we have always found the MDR or buffet are good, also we don't like big portions and in the MDR they are usually just right for us. BTW my DH is Ray :)

How much is the Bistro? We have never used the pay extra dining as we have always found the MDR or buffet are good, also we don't like big portions and in the MDR they are usually just right for us. BTW my DH is Ray :)

Two rays of sunshine, then? :D. It was £19 each in September which I thought was silly to pay when the food in the MDR was good but I would like to try it now. Also, in Sept we had a week after in Corfu when we knew we would be eating out at restaurants. We also ate lunch out in port a few times so it seemed a bit extravagant at the time.

Hi Jakanne

I forgot you had been on the Majesty before. I'm sure it will be fine. I've enjoyed all my cruises with Thomson, even the first one on the Dream to a certain extent.:rolleyes: I'm more concerned about the weather really. I know it is not certain we will get good weather in February, but at least you are on a ship, not trailing around in the evening looking for a restaurant in the cold and we haven't got that crossing to Agadir :eek::eek:

We had a really smooth crossing to Agadir recently. In fact the whole week the sea was calm and pleasant. Our favourite ports were Agadir & Las Palmas. The weather was warm & sunny most of the week. Slight drizzle in Las Palmas but still lovely & warm. It will be fine in Feb. The layout of the ship leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm sure you will have a great time on board.

We had a really smooth crossing to Agadir recently. In fact the whole week the sea was calm and pleasant. Our favourite ports were Agadir & Las Palmas. The weather was warm & sunny most of the week. Slight drizzle in Las Palmas but still lovely & warm. It will be fine in Feb. The layout of the ship leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm sure you will have a great time on board.

Oh thanks for that. Something to look forward to after all this rain and wind. :)

Well been on a few Thomson cruises and have loved each and every one of them for a variety of different reasons so don't think majesty will be any different and even though the trip to Madeira and agadir was a bit wobbly last year it hasn't stopped us from doing it again. Even looking forward to our first week in loscristianos before the cruise. Christmas was fab nearly holiday time now so bring it on.

Archived