Cruising with a baby ?

my mother in law is taking us all (13) on a cruise in October on Liberty of the Seas, I am the designated organiser !

My sis in law just phoned and told me she is pregnant and due in August, this means baby will be between 6 and 8 weeks old when we are due to cruise.

I am sure RCL had a rule that babies had to be 6 months old ? is this correct

and.............

if baby "can" cruise, can I get them added to the booking even though we don't know the age or sex of the child until it's born, I take it, it will be like adding a 3rd person to the cabin if possible,

also do RCL provide baby cots for sleeping ?

hoping for a few answers before I have to give them the bad......or good news tomorrow

thank you in advance

wendy

x

I have also posted this in the family section but it's not very active at the moment

my mother in law is taking us all (13) on a cruise in October on Liberty of the Seas, I am the designated organiser !

My sis in law just phoned and told me she is pregnant and due in August, this means baby will be between 6 and 8 weeks old when we are due to cruise.

I am sure RCL had a rule that babies had to be 6 months old ? is this correct

and.............

if baby "can" cruise, can I get them added to the booking even though we don't know the age or sex of the child until it's born, I take it, it will be like adding a 3rd person to the cabin if possible,

also do RCL provide baby cots for sleeping ?

hoping for a few answers before I have to give them the bad......or good news tomorrow

thank you in advance

wendy

x

I have also posted this in the family section but it's not very active at the moment

You are correct, an infant must be 6 months old to cruise:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Policies&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333&faqType=faq

Thank you clarea

I thought that was the case..... now we have to decide if the new parents cancel or we ALL cancel and try to rebook for when baby is within the age bracket....would we lose our deposit if we done this ? if we booked the same cruise for the same people in feb or april 2014 instead of Oct 2013

wendy

x

Thank you clarea

I thought that was the case..... now we have to decide if the new parents cancel or we ALL cancel and try to rebook for when baby is within the age bracket....would we lose our deposit if we done this ? if we booked the same cruise for the same people in feb or april 2014 instead of Oct 2013

wendy

x

Here in the US, we can get a full refund of deposit if we cancel more than 75 days in advance. I believe rules in the UK are different, so it's best to check with whoever you booked the cruise with to determine your best course of action.

Just following with the law of averages--out of 13 people, no matter what, it is highly likely that one or two won't make it anyway. It is just the law of averages.

Ask a travel agent about group bookings. I'm not saying to go sans mom/baby, but if you knew that someone wasn't able to go after you rebook for a later date, would you still have cancelled the one you originally booked?

There is a good chance that mom/baby won't want to cruise for a couple years anyway.

Dawn

Correct that baby must be 6 months on this sailing. Some sailings (Trans-atlantics, Trans-Pacifics and any other cruise with 3 consecutive sea days) require baby to be 12 months. And they are sticklers on this. They used to have some leeway but, unfortunately, there was an incident onboard and they did not have the facilities to help the baby.

This is the same reasoning for the 24 week pregnancy rule - they are just not equipped to assist should something terrible happen.

Thanks for all the replies........ as I am only the organiser (mother in law is paying :-) I will have to leave the final decision up to her, personally I would still go LOL, but we have our own cruise booked on Freedom in July, this was more for the grandchildren to have thier first cruise.

will call the TA tomorrow and see what our options are regarding a rebooking or not !

Thanks again

wendy

x

Just following with the law of averages--out of 13 people, no matter what, it is highly likely that one or two won't make it anyway. It is just the law of averages.

Ask a travel agent about group bookings. I'm not saying to go sans mom/baby, but if you knew that someone wasn't able to go after you rebook for a later date, would you still have cancelled the one you originally booked?

There is a good chance that mom/baby won't want to cruise for a couple years anyway.

Dawn

If the cruise is booked, the rest of the family has to rearrange their lives if a cruise is cancelled for a pregnancy. What if another gets pregnant? That's a lot of people who need to keep changing things around to accomodate a cruise date change.

Archived