Need 4 wheel in Kawai?

mellowrose

We are staying a week in Princeville area and would love to drive around the island. What would be the best reccomendations for car rental for 2 of us? This will be our first trip here. We like to snorkel and hike.

We just returned from a 3 week stay at The Cliffs in Princeville on Kauai. I do a lot of hiking and diving and have rented many different cars over the years on the island. Non have really been better or worse as far as getting around the islands all the roads are in pretty good condition but SUVs are easier to get dive gear in and out of when shore diving. If you plan to drive on the beach at Polihale you will need four wheel drive but not many other places on Kauai really need it.

Be sure to walk the Kalalau Trail as far as you can at least to Hanakapi'ai Beach and Hanakapi'ai Falls. The eight mile round trip usually takes us about two hours plus each way. If like me hiking is a priority I walk to Kalalau beach (7 to 9 hours each way) and spend at least one night before returning to the trail head at Ke'e Beach. The Kalalau trail in my opinion is one of Americas better hikes.

Archived