Traveling with a Toddler- Excursion Question

kshees

We are thinking of doing a cruise next year and taking our then 2 1/2 year old granddaughter. We have never cruised with young children before, ours were older so my question is what do you do when taking the baby on an excursion or on the island in regards to a car seat? Do you bring one with you for the taxi ride or do you just hold them? I have see the strollers with the infant carrier seats but I don't recall seeing others carrying car seats. Thanks so much for any suggestions.

I have heard that people hold the child on their laps as MOST vehicles on the islands don't have seat belts to hold car seats in. I suggest that you go to the family board - they will be a fountain of information regarding this matter.

We did drag a car seat with us (baby was only 8 months old) but the only place it came in handy was on the balcony.

He loved sitting out there with us, and no worries because he was fastened in his car seat.

although it was not fastened to anything.

None of the vans in the ports had a seat belt anyway.

Then in stead of dragging it home, we gave it to the hotel staff in Miami

along with all the summer clothes that would no longer fit the 8 month old

once summer did come to the West coast 6 months later.

Heck some of them still had their tags LOL.

We way over packed for him knowing babys can need many changes in a day.

It really did feel good giving the stuff to the staff. (we washed the used items 1st)

She was very happy to the point of tears.

And it was a whole bag we didn't have to pay extra baggage fees for. Win Win situation

we have travelled with our 2 youngest the last couple of years and do not bring our own car seat on the ship...we rent cars so we will bring down a booster for our middle daughter and rent a car seat for our 3 year old...even if we brought our own car seat I highly doubt any of the taxi's in the Islands would be equipped to even install one. For the most part the larger Van/Taxi's have a seat belt that can fit across one row of seats..otherwise say 2 hail Mary's lol...

We didn't do any excursions since we didn't bring her carseat.

You need to ask the mom/dad what THEY are ok with. NO WAY IN HELL would anyone take my child without HER carseat (not a rented one or another 'cheap' one, but HER (or same brand/model that was new.)

It wasn't worth the risk.

We will be taking DD on Allure next year (she'll be nearly 2 1/2). We will be driving to the port so she'll be in her car seat to get to the ship, but we won't be taking the car seat onboard.

DH, my parents and I have all been to the ports before and don't plan to get off the ship. We'll use the time everyone else is off the ship to enjoy the amenities of the ship without crowds. If we change our minds and decide to get off we'll just walk around at/near the port. If we had planned to do any big excursions I'd be taking the car seat if the excursion involved riding in a vehicle (some involve boats instead).

Thanks for the input. It is what I thought. I didn't think they had seatbelst or car seats. My daughter will be a basket case w/o the seat. I think we will be sticking close to port with her.

I don't know why so many people constantly write there are no taxis with seat belts in Mexico or the Caribbean. It is true that cabs don't just drive around with child seats for their passengers to use; there's no place to put them.

I have traveled all over the area and never had any problem finding a cab with seat belts.

That said, you can keep it easy and just not ride in a car, or take a shuttle or bus that does not have seat belts. If you arrange for a ride in advance, you can often find a company that will provide a car seat. How good it is though, you won't know in advance.

When we were leaving Atlantis we somehow made it to the opposite side of the resort (bad directions from a staff member). Once we found an entrance/exit there was no taxi's so they bell hops called one for us. There was eight of us so it was a small limo that arrived. Six in back, two in front. My daughter's seatbelt did not work! We didn't know this until after he pulled away from the resort and DD I noticed DD was having trouble with hit and was holding it across her shoulder (she is 9).

So just a tip for those who want seatbelts, be sure to ask before getting in if ALL the seatbelts are operational.

Most carseats are not properly installed. I think I read the statistics were as high as 75% of parents installed them in correctly. They are a pain to install and took us up at least 30 minutes to ensure proper installation of our Britax seats in our own cars. To install in a public vehicle in a taxi line is going to be a real hassle and make the cars behind you mad for taking up so much time.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/sep/20/14/75-car-safety-seats-arent-safe-they-could-be-ar-1177761/

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/sep/20/14/75-car-safety-seats-arent-safe-they-could-be-ar-1177761/

Archived