What is so bad about Nassau??

MaiTaiMary

There is nothing wrong with Nassau.

I equate it with people pulling into Manhattan, and not going more than 2 blocks from the docks, and saying there's nothing to do.

So true! We've stopped at Nassau on two of our cruises, visited Ardastra Gardens, Cable Beach, and Atlantis. Since then, we've stayed there twice (Paradise Island) and we're heading back for our third vacation there (Cable Beach) shortly. Depending on what you like, book a taxi or snorkle tour or take the jitney to Cable Beach or Ardastra Gardens or go to Harborside Marina at Atlantis. In other words, GET AWAY FROM THE PORT. A taxi driver told us that all of the refugees from the other islands live on the streets behind the shops. That's not where you would go if you were visiting a large city near your home.

...we have found the best excursion ever on our last visit. It's called the "Bahamas Segway and Beach Break." It's a great Segway excursion but its the most unique one ever because you ride your Segway through the countryside enjoying the plant life and animals and really getting to enjoy the beauty of the island. Plus you get to ride your Segway along the beach and have some swim time if you'd like. I preferred relaxing under a shade tree in my chair and sipping on a cold drink (which is included in the price.) It's through a local company that comes highly recommended on the Nassau boards and they pick you right up at the pier. For my family of four it was only $65 each which is a steal...

Thanks for reminding me, CruisingT. I rode a Segway for the first time in Sint Maarten in September for an hour on the boardwalk in Philipsburg and I'm hooked. I'm gonna check now to see where to meet them.

My first time to Nassau was last summer. We took an excursion to Blue Lagoon. The weather was rainy so it was kind of disappointing but we made the most of it. We're going to Nassau again in March and June. It seems like a lot of cruises leaving from the Northeast go there. There are a lot of excursions that I want to do. In March we're doing the See and Sea tour and in June we'll go to Atlantis. I think you just have to make the most of what you have and have a great time!

We have sailed Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean. Nassau is not my favorite port, but I like it a lot more than Ocho Rios or Playa Del Carmen. Nassau has some pretty beaches and I feel safe. We had a great time last time we were there-- hung out at Cabbage Beach and stopped in at Senor Frogs.

I don't dislike Nassau. I've just been there so many times and have run out of things to do. We get off the ship and walk around and then get back on. It's a nice place the first couple of times and there's a variety of things to do. You just have to do a little research.

I was there on December 16, and it was fine I thought? I got married there in 1998, and have been there on cruises about 6 or 7 times - the straw market people are pushy and borderline rude, however, I thought that all of the other people I encountered were great! This trip we took a carriage tour that we negotiated on the pier ($15 a person), and we ate at Conch Fritter Bar & Grille, and we found the "Festival Place" with the local singers and artisians to be quite fun as well. My in-laws have been there countless times, and they do stay on the ship at this port, as they don't feel that there is anything for them to do there - so - I guess it's just like the cruise lines, some folks like it, some folks don't! Try it out though, and see what ya think!!

My wife and I went to Nassau for the first time a couple days ago and enjoyed it very much. We took a Jitney bus, which only cost us $5 total, to Cable beach and had a great time. The beach was awesome and felt very peaceful. I never felt unsafe at all on the island and enjoyed it very much. It was one of the nicer beaches I've ever been on. I wouldn't mind going back again.

Yeah, Nassau is kind of a dump but with so little competition in that part of the Caribbean, it doesn't have to up its game. There are a few ok things to do there, especially if it's your first time, but it does get tired fast. Atlantis is a blast and worth the expense once if you like water parks and Arawak and Potter's are alright for some cheap conch and atmosphere but really, I can understand why a lot of regulars don't even bother getting off the ship for more than a short stroll and perhaps a drink somewhere, (if that).

Yeah, Nassau is kind of a dump but with so little competition in that part of the Caribbean, it doesn't have to up its game. There are a few ok things to do there, especially if it's your first time, but it does get tired fast. Atlantis is a blast and worth the expense once if you like water parks and Arawak and Potter's are alright for some cheap conch and atmosphere but really, I can understand why a lot of regulars don't even bother getting off the ship for more than a short stroll and perhaps a drink somewhere, (if that).

You really should do your homework.. there's plenty to do here.

Snorkeling and diving, glass bottom boats, private islands, parasailing, stingrays and dolphins, Powerboat adventures to Exuma, seqways, Foodie tours, Sailing, boat races, regattas (in season). Cultural events, junkanoo, car races, cricket matches, historic and cultural tours, and much, much more. Those who can't find something interesting to do or see haven't done their homework.

Atlantis is the LAST place I would look to while visiting the bahamas..

We also have a small zoo and a pirates museum as well as the national art gallery and chocolate factory.

Ive never been there but i know people who have been there and ive never heard any complaints, like someone else here said you have to take some of these reviews with a grain of salt.. I am going there in May for my first time so it should be alot of fun. Ive been to tons and tons of ports and i never disliked any of them but if i had to pick one i liked the least amount it was Costa Maya

You really should do your homework.. there's plenty to do here.

Snorkeling and diving, glass bottom boats, private islands, parasailing, stingrays and dolphins, Powerboat adventures to Exuma, seqways, Foodie tours, Sailing, boat races, regattas (in season). Cultural events, junkanoo, car races, cricket matches, historic and cultural tours, and much, much more. Those who can't find something interesting to do or see haven't done their homework.

Atlantis is the LAST place I would look to while visiting the bahamas..

We also have a small zoo and a pirates museum as well as the national art gallery and chocolate factory.

You are right, it does have all that but other islands do it far better. Double digit visits to the island, diligent attention to homework and a PhD in travel = a valid POV. A POV that is shared by quite a few frequent visitors, it should be noted. The island is ok but Barbados, it is not.

Scubagirrl, Where is the chocolate factory? I need to know ASAP. We're leaving soon!

The island is ok but Barbados, it is not.

We're making our first cruise stop in Barbados in a few months. Where would you suggest going that shows the island's culture?

We've also made many trips to many islands over the last 20 years and we're so disappointed in what some of the popular ones like Georgetown, GC, and Cozumel have become. We like some of the ones that people slam like San Juan, Sint Maarten and New Providence.

Scubagirrl, Where is the chocolate factory? I need to know ASAP. We're leaving soon!

We're making our first cruise stop in Barbados in a few months. Where would you suggest going that shows the island's culture?

We've also made many trips to many islands over the last 20 years and we're so disappointed in what some of the popular ones like Georgetown, GC, and Cozumel have become. We like some of the ones that people slam like San Juan, Sint Maarten and New Providence.

Graycliffs.. has the chocolate factory..

I don't know where to find island culture in Barbados.. but in nassau, you can do an historic or government tour, Foodie Tour, Junkanoo Expo etc.

Depending on the time of year.. a regatta, junkanoo practice or check out the people to people program.

Check sites like www.bahamasb2b.com for local calendars.

We have homecomings, pineapple festivals, crab fests, rake and scrape festivals, regattas, fishing tournaments etc.. just do a search for them.

We've been to Nassau multiple times in the past few years. We've done something different each time and have always had fun.

I think part of the reason people don't like Nassau is that many of the ships are in Nassau at weird hours or don't stay long enough for people to take advantage of the best things to do.

I've noticed that a lot of people complaining about Nassau never got farther than the straw market. Pushy vendors selling things made in China - if that was my only view of Nassau, I wouldn't like it either.

We're making our first cruise stop in Barbados in a few months. Where would you suggest going that shows the island's culture?quote]

I'd suggest the Barbados board here and on other travel sites and if you'd like my google map for the island, feel free to send me an email (it's in my profile info). I was last there in November so it's quite up to date. I specialize in off-the-beaten-path/DIY travel, though my maps have the usual touristy things marked as well. Have a blast, it's a gorgeous and fun place! Sorry, I don't have one for Nassau - these days, I tend to just wander off the ship mid-morning, meet a couple of people I know there for some conch and a drink, then head back to the ship to chill.

Thanks, Dagny. You've got mail.

Scubagirrl, I'm so glad I checked the calendar on B2B.com. I found everything I need there. I volunteer on Saturdays with our county animal shelter here at home so I'll email the humane society and see if they can use me in operation potcake. I also found enough music offerings to keep my husband happy at night. One of our taxi drivers told us about the Golden club last time we were in Nassau. We'll check it out, as well as the music at the Hilton, Via Cafe, and the Crab House this trip.

And about the chocolate factory... who would've thought it's at Graycliffs. I thought Graycliffs was only for obscenely rich people!

Any suggestions on what to do with a 7 year old? I can't seem to think of anything. Atlantis and any animal adventures are out for us. We already have 2 beach days on the Disney island. So I am clueless other than just walking around and shopping which is the plan so far.

I'd love to try something new like jetskis, segway tour, or parasailing....but I am guessing those aren't possible with a child (I don't want to leave him on the ship. He wants to be included.) Is there anything I might be missing?

Any suggestions on what to do with a 7 year old? I can't seem to think of anything. Atlantis and any animal adventures are out for us. We already have 2 beach days on the Disney island. So I am clueless other than just walking around and shopping which is the plan so far.

I'd love to try something new like jetskis, segway tour, or parasailing....but I am guessing those aren't possible with a child (I don't want to leave him on the ship. He wants to be included.) Is there anything I might be missing?

Why are Atlantis and animal adventures out? Is it a budget issue? What is your budget?

There's the Pirate Museum. Also, the Ardastra zoo, which is a pretty small zoo but it's fun if you can get there for the lorry parrot feedings. The Digs at Atlantis isn't horribly expensive ($40 for adults, I'm not sure about children). There are also two forts.

Graycliffs.. has the chocolate factory..

I'm excited about the chocolate factory. :) Scubagirrl, do you have any more information about the factory? I looked on the Graycliff website and it didn't have anything about it. Do you need reservations? How much is the tour?

we took an island tour with one of the guys holding signs when you get off the ship. It turned out to be wonderful. Greg Arnett was his name and he was great. They are licensed tour operators trying to make a living and they will hound you when you get off the ship. It is not hard to find one. we were also a little skeptical and it turned out to be one of our favorites of the cruise. He took us to Atlantis for a short stop. Next time we will take a taxi to Atlantas. It was wonderful and we only had a short time to see it. $30.00 a person and had a van. he stopped at some local stops and told us all about culture and living there etc. Took us to a small hole in the wall place and bought us coconut bread that was wonderful. he paid for it etc. Needless to say we tipped him really nice. check out the tours and look for Greg Arnett.

Greg is great! We did the same tour with him in May 2011. We had been to Nassau four times before but had not done a tour like this before. We had a great time on his tour. He purchased conch fritters for us to try and stopped so some of those on the tour could purchase coconut drinks.

We have also been to the Ardastra Gardens (zoo) and last year we did a sunset catamaran cruise that took us past Atlantis and Paradise Island. I enjoy looking and shopping at the booths in the Festival Place, but I definitely avoid the straw market.

We did a horse & carriage tour for $15 per person - I bet your 7 year old would love that! We just negotiated on the pier, they originally asked $20, but my husband offered $15, and they took it!

Why are Atlantis and animal adventures out? Is it a budget issue? What is your budget?

No, not a money issue. Just not interested in them. We've been to a ton of zoos, live near Sea World, and water parks. I'm sure we would enjoy any of them, but I just don't see them being all that different.

We've never done anything like jetskis (but I learned on here they are pretty dangerous), and he is 1 year too young to do Parasailing through Disney. We are going to Castawa Cay twice so we'll already have two really nice beach days or else I would have done Blue Lagoon.

So we are pretty much just planning to shop and see what the day brings. But I keep hoping maybe I am missing something. The hourse and carriage sounds awesome! But there are 5. I imagine we would need at least 2, can that be done?

I'm excited about the chocolate factory. :) Scubagirrl, do you have any more information about the factory? I looked on the Graycliff website and it didn't have anything about it. Do you need reservations? How much is the tour?

You can find info on facebook at:

https://www.facebook.com/GraycliffChocolatier

Here's some details.

GRAYCLIFF CHOCOLATIER TOUR OPTIONS

The Adult Fully-Interactive Tour

Time: 45-60 Minutes

Price: $49.95

This tour is our featured event. Join in the fun as we discover the history of chocolate, the

process in which chocolate is made, and the story behind the Graycliff Chocolatier.

Depending on what stage of chocolate-making our factory is in at the time of the tour, you will

be invited to sample the sweets. Additionally, you will then create your own “masterpieces”, be

they chocolate bars, truffles or dipped fruit. All products are then packaged and presented at

the end of the session, along with a Certificate of Completion.

The Walk-Through Tour

Time: 10 Minutes

Price: $10.00

Join us for a walk through our factory and witness first-hand the magic in the making. Select

two samples of our delicious delightstoenjoy.

The Children‟s‟ Fully-Interactive Tour

Time: 45-60 Minutes

Price: $35.00

Let the little ones have their own fun. The Children‟s tour has been carefully designed to delight

our mini chefs, and we invite them to get creative as they paint with chocolate, decorate their

Captain Choco activity books, and spend some quality time with our mascot, Captain Choco!

All tours are available Monday Saturday, 9:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

A photographer will document their chocolate experience, enabling guests to concentrate on the

fun with the option of purchasing souvenir photos. To book tours, call 242-302-9181 or email

boutique@graycliff.com.

The hourse and carriage sounds awesome! But there are 5. I imagine we would need at least 2, can that be done?

There were 4 of us for the carriage ride, and we did take two seperate carriages, but the two stayed right together, one in front of the other the whole time! So yes, it can be done!!

Archived