HAL Visa Reward changes??

bflo john

So happy it all worked out the way you wanted!

Thank you for putting us all on our guard to watch for complications when trading larger amounts of points. It's a lesson to keep in the back of our minds.

So happy it all worked out the way you wanted!

Thank you for putting us all on our guard to watch for complications when trading larger amounts of points. It's a lesson to keep in the back of our minds.

Thanks Ruth...and by the way I was on the Ryndam for the Oct/Nov crossing and I told our favorite Hotel Manager about the kind words you posted about him a while back. He was most appreciative!

...and by the way I was on the Ryndam for the Oct/Nov crossing and I told our favorite Hotel Manager about the kind words you posted about him a while back. He was most appreciative!

Thank you for telling me. :) Yes, Simon runs a tight ship. And he's a lot of fun, too.

Glad it worked out for you favorably.

I just applied (and was approved) for this card this morning. Here's hoping I get good benefits from it. It's going to be my use-in-place-of-debit-card card and pay it off each month for the points.

• 10 months later...

Needing to revive this thread as DH is getting a runaround with his Barcleys Hal Visa points, not getting applied to an upcoming HAL cruise. Not clear if he pays HAL the full amount first and then Barcleys applies the credit. Or, if he pays HAL minus the credit amount, as payment in full to HAL.

Endless phone loops have not been productive at all.

What have others had as their experience with obtaining the credit points - do they apply before the final payment as a credit on the HAL account or do they get applied only after the HAL bill is paid in full?

Thanks

Edited by OlsSalt

Forget the prior request for info, new Barcley's statement shows the credit has been applied. Gheesh, DH is cutting up his HAL Visa card. It "worked" but no one could tell him when, why or how and he is a Quicken kind of guy who wants to know when, where and how.

After almost two hours on the phone with HAL and with the card member services of Barclay we too are cutting up the card. The Barclays people don't speak English and have no idea what a cruise is. The HAL people refer you to Barclays. Enough.

I just cashed in 40,000 points for a $500 discount on a booked cruise. They asked me for the name of the ship, sailing date. No problem. The key might be to hang up and call back later if you're not feeling comfortable with what you are hearing.

I've earned & received two rewards in the past two years. The first one I called them, gave them my booking number and the next statement showed the credit. The last time I did it all online. I got confirmation in minutes and within days, it posted to my account.

I'm estimating 135,000 (for $2k) off my Alaska cruise next summer. It should equal my excursions and possibly on board spending. I'm using my Jet Blue AmEx points for the flight. It will really make this an affordable vacation.

Wow... 300,000 points for a previous poster. Wow. Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by VermeulT

We processed 40,000 points online for a $500 discount for our January 2014 cruise, and it appeared as a credit on my statement within seven days. We have never had problems with the HAL card program, but have only used the online form for submissions through the years.

We processed 40,000 points online for a $500 discount for our January 2014 cruise, and it appeared as a credit on my statement within seven days. We have never had problems with the HAL card program, but have only used the online form for submissions through the years.

Please tell me more about the "online submissions form". Link? I think we missed that.

Please tell me more about the "online submissions form". Link? I think we missed that.

when you log in to view your statement - there is a section to view rewards, Then next to points earned this billing cycle and total points available there is a link to Redeem your Rewards.

It takes you to a separate page where you can click through the different reward options. You can then add the reward to your cart and check out.

when you log in to view your statement - there is a section to view rewards, Then next to points earned this billing cycle and total points available there is a link to Redeem your Rewards.

It takes you to a separate page where you can click through the different reward options. You can then add the reward to your cart and check out.

Thanks for getting back. Checked with DH and he did do that after all. I was the one who did not understand the whole picture relying this all second hand.

DH's concern as not being able to confirm that a credit had been applied to his HAL account, mainly because we did not understand how the HAL Visa card and the credits operated. This is Barcley's problem; not HAL's.

We were thinking it was more like an airline frequent flyer payment arrangement with a direct connection between HAL and Barcleys. Fine print later explained there is no connection at all except for the "affinity card" arrangement they have amongst themselves; but not with reservations, booking or accounting at the passenger's end.

I am now requesting we do not cut up the card now that we understand better how it operates. It was a generous build up of "points" that had a direct cash benefit on our upcoming cruise so why take money off the table when this card does hand it to you and we continue to want to sail HAL ships.

• 9 months later...

Had you already paid for cruise in full? We want to get the $500 credit, just not for sure when to do it for our January cruise.

Had you already paid for cruise in full? We want to get the $500 credit, just not for sure when to do it for our January cruise.

Yes, I received a credit on our HAL VISA card of $500 about 30 days before the cruise. The cruise had been paid in full a few months earlier. When I embarked on the ship, I had $500 credit on the HAL card which quickly disappeared when I bought FCDs, the hotel service charge and other charges.

I had forgotten to process the points before I made final payment. Normally, I get a credit on the card before I make final payment.

Wait until after final payment and then those points can be redeemed also. Depending on your final amount - that could add up... remember double points for HAL charges...

I will be counting on those extra 10000 points for next Summer.... I'm hoping to take $4K off my trip.