Arriving in Los Angeles for cruise...

Lynniepoo

• 1 month later...

I tend to be biased towards Providence. Hatfield's feels a bit more casual to me, which is nice (admittedly), but if you want something super-extra special, Providence is it. And if you have someone in your party that absolutely hates seafood, Providence can be a pain. At any of these types of restaurants you'd want to do the tasting menu and barring any allergies or vegetarianism, they're not too keen to sub out dishes - and usually everyone at the table must order the same menu. So that's something to think about.

Melisse in Santa Monica has also received 2 Michelin stars, so that might also be worth considering, if you're interested in French cuisine. Los Angeles actually has not had the Michelin guide here since 2009, so there are probably a few restaurants that deserve them that don't have them! Squid Ink is one that comes to mind. Hope you have a great time on your cruise and your visit to Los Angeles!

As the above poster mentioned, Michelin has not followed Los Angeles since 2009, so technically there are not any current Michelin starred venues, just some venues that used to be (that said there are lots of great restaurants in Los Angeles). Within the U.S. Michelin currently follows San Fran (and surrounding area), Chicago and New York.

Here is a link to the Los Angeles section of my favorite food blog (not my blog): http://endoedibles.com/?cat=4

Both Providence and Ink (not sure if that is the same as Squid Ink the other post mentioned) are detailed (as well as several other venues). I am heading to LA later this year and actually was deciding between Providence and Ink for my high end dinner while there and opted for Ink as it seems more modern, fun and lively whereas Providence is a more traditional fine dining type experience (either type of experience can be great - it just depends what you are seeking).

Archived