Transatlantic Iceland/Greenland

Sumar76

Sorry if there was a thread about this before, but I couldn't find any....so, I was wondering if anyone had done the transatlantic from Copenhagen to NY?

I am thinking about Sept. 2006...but was wondering how rough the seas are crossing the Atlantic?

Anyone? Thanks

There is a prevous thread, but I will give a"quickie" answer.

We did it Southampton to NYC, 8-98, on the late great Royal Princess. Very foggy and slightly bumpy between Greenland and Newfoundland.

Many of the storms (hurricanes) that plague Florida and the eastern seaboard

"die out" in the North Atlantic between New England & Greenland, so there is always a chance of iffy sea conditions.

The Royal Princess was a much better "sea boat" than the Grand class, which are flat-bottomed and beamy, should you hit rough water.

Thanks Michael for the reply....and I'll keep searching for the original thread.

Not sure now if its worth it for me to go, as I have a tendancy for sea-sickeness. Something to think about.

Sumar

I wouldn't stress about sea conditions.

The Northern route was certainly smoother for us on Royal Princess 8-98 than was the traditional Med/NYC route on Golden Princess 8-02.

Sea state is always a crap shoot. One crossing smooth, another little bumpy, and the occasional very rough.

I mentioned on the other thread that the only rough seas we had on the 2004 crossing were between Copenhagen and Dover. It rained in Iceland, we weren't able to cruise the Fjord in Greenland due to winds and it was foggy in St. John. But otherwise it was an outstanding cruise. I'd do it again for sure! :D

My husband and I will be on this cruise and I also am having a hard time finding this thread, would like to join group already organized but I can't find you? Thanks in advance for your help..

Thanks everyone for the information. I did find the other thread now..:o ..wow..alot of happy cruisers going!! Wish it were me..however thinking of 2006 as I am already set for Orient this Oct.

Patlanta...The Star is not doing the Copenhagen to NYC?

Archived