Belize Water Taxi

willowcreek1955

I haven't taken the water taxi but would also like to hear more about it. We were in Bellize last week off the Carnival Glory and I would love to go back for a visit and stay on Caye Caulker and water taxi back and forth to Belize City.

We took the water taxi to Caye Caulker a couple of years ago. Its about a 5 walk from the port area to the water taxi "station." Once there we bought our tickets ans waited about 20 minutes for the next water taxi.

The water taxi was an open boat was primarily filled with locals (and I mean filled!) We returned on another water taxi about 2 hours later. This one did have some cover, but we did experience a little engine trouble mid-way which made us nervous since it was the last water taxi before the ship sailed.

If you do go, be sure to be on the dock on time for the return trip. There are no announcements so its easy to miss it.

We took the water taxi to Caye Caulker a couple of years ago. Its about a 5 walk from the port area to the water taxi "station." Once there we bought our tickets ans waited about 20 minutes for the next water taxi.

The water taxi was an open boat was primarily filled with locals (and I mean filled!) We returned on another water taxi about 2 hours later. This one did have some cover, but we did experience a little engine trouble mid-way which made us nervous since it was the last water taxi before the ship sailed.

If you do go, be sure to be on the dock on time for the return trip. There are no announcements so its easy to miss it.

It's a 5 min walk or a 5 mile walk?

it is easy to take the water taxi...8am, 9am, 10am, 12noon 1:30pm etc..last one 5:30pm returning back to city in afternoon 1:30pm, 3pm, 4pm and on weekend and holidays 5pm...return ticket is 17.50USD....buy roundtrip...save $2.50USD

water taxi by swing bridge...

once in caye caulker, walk the island, rent a golf cart. rent a bicycle. glass bottom boat trips, snorkeling trips...kayaks etc...lunch at local restaurants...lots of little shops...swim at the split. snorkel rental only 5US....

water taxi takes one hour...if there is ever a breakdown there is always a back up boat on standbye...have a great day...

We did the water taxi to Caye Caulker last July when a popular tour operator left us stranded without a tour because the Paradise was late getting to port. You are riding with locals and also with supplies needed for the island. We rode over with lumber, cane chairs, etc. It is open. It is a short walk to the left of the tender terminal (if your back is facing the water). It reminded me of a bus terminal you might see if an old movie from the 30's or 40's.

On the way home, we ran into some unexpected stormy weather. It was quite an adventure. The crew gave us tarps to pull over us. There was a moment I wondered what I had gotten myself into, but when all was said and done, we arrived back safe and in plenty of time for our tender.

The island is very small. There is a neat swimming/snorkeling area at the one end (off the pier and turn right ---- about 3-4 blocks) ---- its called the split.

One thing that I can add is the clerk in the water taxi building said that when we return to ask the boat pilot to drop us off at the tourist center. On returning I asked the person in charge on the boat if he would drop the two of us off at the tourist dock and he said he would try. When we approached the dock someone else from on the boat asked to be dropped off at the dock and he asked for a raise of hands who wanted off and there were six of us so he pulled up to the tourist dock to let us off. What happen though is the boat tied up where the tender was to load people returning to the Elation. Ship security got all rattled and made sure we all exited the area and got in line behind the others that were waiting which wasn't that big of a deal. It was just interesting to see their reaction to what was going on.

Has anyone taken the water taxi from the port area in Belize to Caye Caulker? I don't want to spend a long time there, so I don't want to book an excursion but I would like to see it. Thanks.:)

Just back Sunday - - water taxi $17.50 RT, once there found someone to take us out snorkeling.

We missed the 9 a.m. water taxi - and we were on the 1st tender off the ship, so had to wait for the 10:30 taxi. What a cool experience! Crammed on like sardines, with a couple of dogs as well!

We caught the 3 p.m. taxi back, which still left time for shopping in Belize and yes if you ask the Captain of the taxi to drop you off at the Tourist Village, he will do so!! Saves the short walk back to the pier.

Just back Sunday - - water taxi $17.50 RT, once there found someone to take us out snorkeling.

We missed the 9 a.m. water taxi - and we were on the 1st tender off the ship, so had to wait for the 10:30 taxi. What a cool experience! Crammed on like sardines, with a couple of dogs as well!

We caught the 3 p.m. taxi back, which still left time for shopping in Belize and yes if you ask the Captain of the taxi to drop you off at the Tourist Village, he will do so!! Saves the short walk back to the pier.

Would you recommend this? How far is the water taxi from the tender? 5min walk? How long did you spend in Caye Caulker? What did you do other then snorkel? Thanks!

Would you recommend this? How far is the water taxi from the tender? 5min walk? How long did you spend in Caye Caulker? What did you do other then snorkel? Thanks!

Water taxi a very short walk - - 5 min or less. We spent all the time snorkeling.

txteachers - I'm an ex-K teacher myself! Hey, your times for the water taxi - were they Belize times or the Elation's time? We're going to be on the Miracle, which is 2 hours ahead of Belize time, so I need to coordinate this well. Our last tender is probably going to be 2pm Belize time. Can I get back from Caye Caulker in time? Thanks.

Mr. Mac

no one has mentioned this so I thought I would. The water taxi to Caye Caulker is a 45 min at FULL speed ride. It seemed to take forever. Had a great time when we got there. Hired a gut to take us out to the reef wayyyyyy off shore. $20 pp. Great snorkeling we saw a Large shark it was pretty cool.

Kim

txteachers - I'm an ex-K teacher myself! Hey, your times for the water taxi - were they Belize times or the Elation's time? We're going to be on the Miracle, which is 2 hours ahead of Belize time, so I need to coordinate this well. Our last tender is probably going to be 2pm Belize time. Can I get back from Caye Caulker in time? Thanks.

Mr. Mac

Elation changed time to match Belize time. If we had to be back at 2 we would not have gone to Caye Caulker.

Archived