Ever wonder what goes into a drydock??

I'm watching the show now and I had no idea what went into putting a ship in dry dock. I thought they just replaced the carpets and furniture and sort of the decorative things . . . had no idea how extensive the work is. Really interesting . . . .

I just wanted to get the original posting out to all the cruisers

quick.

so heres the update

the show appears to be a multi part mini-series

part 1 at eight (now)

part 2 at nine

Rerunning at 12:00 and 1:00 tonight

over on the RCI board they are saying parts 3 & 4 will run next sunday

(unconfirmed)

but no matter how you slice it soveriegn really is a good looking ship :)

Mitch :cool:

Ok I thought

It was a rerun

and airing June 5th 9pm

June 6th 1am

and June 8th 10 pm

is this a continuing series ?

:)

They showed parts one and two tonight and next Sunday starting at 8:00 parts three, four and five will air. That is the entire series.

I'm SO happy that it's going to finish airing before I go on my cruise! I was worried I was going to miss it (but not too worried, LOl). It's really cool to see what goes into it! I'm heading over to RCCL's site now to see what they say about it :)

I'm amused that the assistant project manager is my age...yet his job is much, much cooler than mine. I must know his secret, even if it is RCI that he's working for! :D

Thanks for the heads up. Just scheduled it to record so I won't miss it. I'll be on the Conquest in Sept., right after it is out of drydock. It will be interesting to see what is done. Thanks Bunches.:)

Setme2sail, are you going on the 9-11-05 sailing? That's when we are going, too and didn't think there were that many people here that were on that cruise. Here's a link to the Roll Call if you are intersted:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=2804379#post2804379

I'm not so sure that every single dry dock is as intensive as this one.....from what I could gather this ship was built in the late 80's...so it had obviously been drydocked before...but not refurbished. This is a complete refurbishment/remodel job. It is amazing to watch. I too had no clue the cabins were pre-assembled...but should have known that I guess.

My favorite character on there is the guy with the cigars...also that one lady in charge is a take no BS kind of boss!

I remember reading all the complaints on the Royal board from the first passengers that sailed after SOS drydock. Now I see why, many said that she left drydock way too early.

Its very entertaining to watch, but I have to agree this isnt a typical drydocking as the shows title indicates its the rebirth of a ship.

Don't know if they did this everywhere they showed this program but in N AL just about every commercial was a Carnival one. :) "Somewhere-beyond the sea...... Talk about a teaser. I can't wait to see what they do to the Destiny. Will be sailing her in Jan.

Archived