What to do for $0

smrtypnts

Because I plan to spend quite a bit of money on our other 3 stops, is this a good port to just enjoy the ship and not get off or should we get off? If we should get off, what would be the thing to do if shopping isn't an option and we want to spend $0 or very little?:confused:

Thanks!

For $4.00 a piece (each way) you can go to the public beach. Just grab a taxi at the port - there are taxis available to take you back. Pretty inexpensive day. You can buy a 6 pack of drinks and some snacks right by the pier (to the left on the water side). That will save you even more.

Grab a taxi to go the couple miles south to Smith Cove, chances are you will find a relaxing time at this quaint beach. Snorkeling is great, but optional. The beach has sunny and shady spots (at least it did). Smith Cove is a beach area with character, close to the port, and still uninvaded by the cruise crowds. There are no vendors, rentals, or fee. Look it up on a web search "Smith Cove Cayman". Rick

Bring your own snorkling gear( you can buy cheap ones at a dollar store) and walk over to eden Rock. It is a 5 minute walk. We than took a bus for $4 a person and went to seagrape beach. This was my favorite port. The snorkling was incredible and completely free. I think there may be a beach in walking distance to the pier if you don't want to take a bus.

Seagrape was the most beautiful beach I have ever been to. I would highly recommend it, but if you don't want to spend any money stay close to the pier.

michele

Not sure what your ports of call are but if going to GC chances are good you are visiting one or all of these...Coz, Belize, Costa Maya, Jamaica. Ive been on 5 cruises and twice to GC. The water here is by far the best. Clear, beatiful turq color. I could not imagine stopping here and not getting off the boat and into the water. Eden rock is just past the water taxi area and is a great place to hang out and snorkel then you could shop for awhile. Seven mile beach is great to hang out on and sometimes you can see some fish.You really dont have to spend alot of money here to have a great day, but this port is a must for the water!!!

Eden rock is just past the water taxi area and is a great place to hang out and snorkel then you could shop for awhile.

By water taxi I assume you are talking about the tenders. Is this the place RIGHT THERE when you get off - to the right as you approach the dock? Or is it further down?

By water taxi I assume you are talking about the tenders. Is this the place RIGHT THERE when you get off - to the right as you approach the dock? Or is it further down?

It is to the right of the tender dock, down the street a bit. You can see it when you are tendering in. There are 2 dive/snorkel shops. Here's the one we went to: www.edenrockdive.com (rental information, map, pics, etc.) PS...of course, you can just use your own equipment (we rented fins only); they also have lockers for rent.

Now a question for you.......regarding the public beach. Most people get dropped off at a hotel and pay for a chair, etc. Where would you ask to get dropped off where the beach is free to use (we can sit on towels!:) ) Thanx

Now a question for you.......regarding the public beach. Most people get dropped off at a hotel and pay for a chair, etc. Where would you ask to get dropped off where the beach is free to use (we can sit on towels!:) ) Thanx

I just told the driver to take us to the public beach - there is one just past all the hotels. Cost $4.00 per person each way. The first time we went to GC we did a thing through the ship where it included your admission, a chair and a drink - what a waste of money. We still had to pay the taxi and when we go there we got our chair - set it out - went for a walk - came back and there were TONS of people just lined up one after the other - we almost couldn't get back to our chairs. The soda was a can of warm coke. After that we decided not to do the ship thing again.

We went to the public beach off the Rhapsody - it was very clean (pre hurricane). There were pavillions with tables that anyone could use. They did have a snack bar and a place that rented charis and such and I believe you could also get jet ski rentals there. Also they had a bathroom/bathhouse. As I said - very clean - but not sure how it is since last seasons storms.

We didn't eat at the snack bar so I can't tell you what they had. We brought our own sodas and you can pick up a 6 pack of your favorite beverage just to the left (shoreside) when you get off the tender. Just take a cooler with you - or even a box lined with a plastic bag - heck you're not going to be there that long. Some take food off the ship. Be careful doing this as you don't want to bring off any critters that my hurt their eco system. No fruit or veggies (take the lettuce and tomato off the sandwiches). We also take beef jerkey and small packable snacks on board with us just to use for these times.

I second the suggestion for Eden Rock.... if you have your own gear you just park in the chairs and walk into the water it is the best... make sure you snorkel out to where the coral heads start you will not be diappointed.... the snorkel gear was 7.00 for a vest. They also rent gear but we had our own so I am not sure how much it was....

I just want to understand correctly. I have my own snorkel and mask - so is it $7 for just the vest?

Don't know about just a vest but doubt $7. You could email them. At Eden Rock Dive, $5 for mask/snorkel, $5 fins, $10 mask/snorkel/fins, $12 mask/snorkel/fins/vest.

m1xNi62BtLmhiETvEpl3j6m34bkCkfeq0300.jpg

Eden Rock area is not far at all from the cruise ships.

Here is one entrance at Paradise Restaurant/Abanks Dive:

ZuyDrANX8MXK0zrYGwftyskdbhPRltNe0300.jpg

Zoomed in to the tenders from Eden Rock Dive. You can see the stair railing at Paradise Restaurant entrance in the picture and a bit of the restaurant.

kP6a5h3ikY5urA7A9nTD91pg6fkCkAhV0300.jpg

Zoomed back out...

LuuR+QIApPUsrhk0fLnNo35s4g9GuzNQ0300.jpg

Eden Rock Dive:

GO4fZ+cxXXHfvuDD5EPV94YWrLisRy8u0300.jpg

Went 2 years ago. Booked with native way about $35 per person. That included your van ride to the boat and back, punch,you snorkel in one location, at the sand bar you feed the rays. Can't match this price. Lots of fun. When you think of (transportation, find a good location). This was the best,save up.

I thought I had a link to the "bus system" but can't find it now.

Here's what I did find in someone else review (not on CC).

The buses are actually mini-vans, which are marked by colored circles with letters in them. The buses we rode up and down Seven Mile Beach were the West Bay bus (yellow circle with WB in it) and the Pappagallo (spelling?), which is a green circle with a P or something like that in it. (Just look for the colored circle on the front.) The only other one I remember seeing is the red East End circle. Those buses take you far away from Seven Mile Beach to the other side of the island.

I haven't figured out the difference between the yellow and green buses. Either one always got us where we wanted to go, from the Hard Rock Cafe all the way up to the Turtle Farm and Hell. Just remember that yellow and green travel up and down Seven Mile Beach, and red takes you to the East End.

There are marked bus stops, but I never saw anyone picked up there. You just start walking (or stand along side of the road) and watch for one of the minivans with the colored circle on them. Just give them a wave if you want them to stop. (It helps to be standing on the proper side of the road so you don't have to run across traffic to get on the bus.)

The bus drivers routinely honk at people who are walking on the sidewalks, just in case those people didn't notice the bus was coming. So if you have drivers honk at you a lot, don't take it personally. They just want to know if you want a ride.

We usually told the driver our destination when we got on, but you could just yell, "Stop!" when the driver reached your destination.

The cost is $1.50 - $2.00 CI one way, depending on the distance you traveled. (The driver will calculate the equivalent in US currency, if you want to pay in US $.)

Please keep in mind that the buses don't get up to Turtle Farm/Cracked Conch/Hell much after 4 pm, so you may have to run into a store and call a taxi to get back to the middle or south end of Seven Mile Beach. It was no trouble getting a bus to take us from Treasure Island in the south to the Cracked Conch way up north one night for supper, but we just asked our waitress to call us a taxi for the ride home.

You can take a ferry from the Hyatt to Rum Point. I think it was $12 CI per person round trip. I think it's much more enjoyable than a bus or taxi ride to Rum Point would be.

Archived