men's dress on Formal night in MDR and restaurants

beltane

I own and wear a tux on formal nights because I enjoy it. I have no problem with whatever other people want to wear. It is possible that they will turn you away, but it is a request that you dress up, not a hard and fast rule.

We enjoy dressing up on formal nights.

My problem is that the women's "suggestions" of an elegant pant suit is no more dressed up than if my DH wears a very nice long sleeve dress shirt and tie with black slacks. My DH has a number of very nice suits that he wears for occasions that call for it. But for those of us flying and trying to avoid paying the excessive baggage fees that the airlines now impose, I am trying to conserve every bit of space for those items that I will get the most use out of and that does NOT include packing a jacket that my DH will wear for probably the sum total of 30 minutes over the 2 formal nights.

We never have a problem packing a suit when flying. if you have to wear a shirt and slacks the only additional packing is the jacket. :)

All of the comments above have some validity, but when I am taking advantage of anytime dining and agree to share a table, I have no idea what my tablemates are wearing. By the same token, when they do the same as I do, there is no disrespect involved. We are all there to enjoy our meal and meet new people.

So far, I have seen no signs of animosity or discomfort from any of my tablemates.

I did three Princess cruises in 2012. A very small percentage of passengers dressed in formal attire. Most men were in suits or sport coats, not tuxedos. Most ladies were in nice dresses or pants suits, not long or short formal dresses. I think that what folks may like is Dressy Night, but it really is not formal night anymore. I also did a Cunard cruise in 2012. There were more folks wearing formal attire, but still many who were just merely "dressy". It seems fair to say that there are still a good many folks who like to dress up, but there are fewer and fewer people who like to be formal. On my last cruise, just about anything except shorts would get you into the MDR on "smart casual" nights. That included jeans, short sleeve shirts, flip-flops, essentially any attire except shorts. On formal nights a pair of slacks, and a nice shirt (no tie) would get guys into the MDR. Just about any attire other than totally casual would get the ladies in.

I guess I am OK with the more relaxed "dress code" but I wish they would stop calling it Formal Night unless they really mean formal.

It does not affect me what other people choose to wear to dinner or any other meal but I do wonder why people persist in booking with cruise lines that specify an acceptable dress code for formal nights and then decide that the suggested dress code should not apply to them. There are plent of casual cruise lines that they could book if they do not want the formality suggested.

It does not affect me what other people choose to wear to dinner or any other meal but I do wonder why people persist in booking with cruise lines that specify an acceptable dress code for formal nights and then decide that the suggested dress code should not apply to them. There are plent of casual cruise lines that they could book if they do not want the formality suggested.

Of course....but some people just can't figure that out. Then there are the others who know better but try to encourage casual dress, I am guessing that it is because they will only be truly comfortable when everyone dresses down to their level.:eek:

They are like kids saying "let's go steal Mr. Jones' apples, he won't mind".

Archived