Weaving in Alaska

msweeble1

I have a friend who saw a special about a town in Alaska that talked about and showed people weaving scarves and other things from some kind of animal like an ox. She couldn't remember exactly but that was how they helped the economy by weaving these things. She is going to Alaska and would like to know if anyone knows about this town. Thank you and I hope you can understand what I'm talking about because I sure don't.

Possibly items made from quivet, the soft underhair of a musk ox? The stuff is really amazing...very very warm, but incredibly light ... feels like you're wearing a garment made of smoke. You can get it at the musk ox farm in Palmer or they have a store in downtown Anchorage. Its cultivated/weaved by a cooperative, so I think its done in various towns with some different styles depending on the location.

I met a person on the cruise who found a shop in Ankorage who sold the yarn. It sells for either $30.00 or $40.00 for 8oz. She was making a scarf out of it and to save money she split the yarn. I think she said that she was a weaver and that the profits for the yarn went to the Native Alaskans.

Archived