Extra Day in Seward? Kenai Fjords Excursions?

Amy5000

Hi all.

I'm doing a cruistour with HAL and I just realized I could switch to a cruise tour that stays overnight in Seward. Here are my questions:

I would really like to do a "Kenaj Fjords" excursion. I see I could do one with HAL that is billed as a 6 hour cruise for $159. I wouldn't need to spend an extra day in Seward, but I would take a "motorcoach" to Anchorage rather than the "cruisetrain."

Are there other options for Kenaj Fjords booked independently that would make more sense. I've seen several others online, and they seem similarly priced but longer. Would this be preferable. Does anyone have any recommendations / preferences for Kenaj Fjords excursions?

Anyone think it's a good thing spend an extra day in Seward and take our time.

Thanks much. Amy

Are you alone? There are often discounts on the Kenai Fjords tours. In fact, a 50% discount offer just ended on Monday. The coach transfer would require doing the Kenai Fjords tour the day you arrive and an overnight in Seward.

No. I'm traveling with a party of 7. Parents (86,77), me, DH and DB (in our 40s) and two children ages (8 and 10).

Which company had the 50% discount. Where should I be looking?

Are you heading straight to the airport from Seward? This will make a bit of a difference.

The HAL cruise-train takes you directly to the airport on the day that you arrive in Seward. (As do the motor coach options from HAL.) By taking the train (a really cool experience by the way!) or bus you do lose the day of exploring the Seward area.

If you opt to book yourself you can also take the train or motor coach back to Anchorage, but both modes of transportation will drop you in downtown Anchorage, where you will have to take cabs to the airport. It is about $20-25 per cab ride to the airport from the train station.

But if you can fit it in your budget for $$ and time I would recommend you give yourself the overnight in Seward. Especially with two kids and multigenerations in your party. As a group you can visit the Alaska Sealife Center - so much fun for everyone! And you can take the $10 shuttle bus out to Exit Glacier. Those that want can walk up to the glacier on the 1.5 mile trail, others can make the short walk out to the overlook with park benches and binoculars. And there are great little shops and restaurants in Seward. Plus you could add on one last cruise tour experience and head out to the Kenai Fjords National Park.

I have done the Major Marine Tours 6 hour cruise - right now tickets are $149 but they are running an early booking discount of 20% if you ask for a discount on the phone. This cruise is narrated by a National Park Ranger who also runs a "junior ranger" program for kids, who get badges at the end for participating. And they have a very good all you can eat salmon & prime rib buffet on board, so you spend all 6 hours on the water seeing great things.

If you can swing it - I would spend the extra day or so. When are you going to all be back in Alaska together???

No. I'm traveling with a party of 7. Parents (86,77), me, DH and DB (in our 40s) and two children ages (8 and 10).

Which company had the 50% discount. Where should I be looking?

Amy: While I don't know which company has recently offered a 50% discount, in the past the Alaska TourSaver coupon book (http://www.toursaver.com) has offered buy-one-get-one-free coupons for Major Marine. We have done two Kenai Fjords day cruises, and were very pleased both times with the quality of their product.

Seward is well worth a day. In addition to the Sea Life Center (again, in the past the TourSaver coupon book has offered a coupon), Exit Glacier is easy to access and worth a visit. The recent poster has some interesting photos of Seward in her review titled something like "DIY + Radiance ...." which you might find of interest.

Amy: While I don't know which company has recently offered a 50% discount, in the past the Alaska TourSaver coupon book (http://www.toursaver.com) has offered buy-one-get-one-free coupons for Major Marine. We have done two Kenai Fjords day cruises, and were very pleased both times with the quality of their product.

Seward is well worth a day. In addition to the Sea Life Center (again, in the past the TourSaver coupon book has offered a coupon), Exit Glacier is easy to access and worth a visit. The recent poster has some interesting photos of Seward in her review titled something like "DIY + Radiance ...." which you might find of interest.

Thanks northern!

Amy: While I don't know which company has recently offered a 50% discount, in the past the Alaska TourSaver coupon book (www.toursaver.com) has offered buy-one-get-one-free coupons for Major Marine. We have done two Kenai Fjords day cruises, and were very pleased both times with the quality of their product.

We loved Seward and would hihgly recommend staying the extra day if you can. In addition to the TourSaver book, we used the Northern Lights coupon book to get a 2 for 1 for Major Marine. The cost of either coupon book is less than the savings you get on a 6-9 hour tour. Kenai Fjords National Park is a terrific visit. Our trip there this summer was cancelled due to weather this time, but we really enjoyed out trip there our visit before that. We went to the Sea Life Center instead this year, and it was a great visit. We did a behind the scenes tour in addition to the main aquarium itself. It's a few days into my review (which I'm still working on) if you want to see some photos and read about our experience. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447

As long as the connections & the rest of the cruise tour that you would be changing to are just as appealing as the current one, I'd say take the time. Good luck and have fun!

L.J.

We loved Seward and would hihgly recommend staying the extra day if you can. In addition to the TourSaver book, we used the Northern Lights coupon book to get a 2 for 1 for Major Marine. The cost of either coupon book is less than the savings you get on a 6-9 hour tour. Kenai Fjords National Park is a terrific visit. Our trip there this summer was cancelled due to weather this time, but we really enjoyed out trip there our visit before that. We went to the Sea Life Center instead this year, and it was a great visit. We did a behind the scenes tour in addition to the main aquarium itself. It's a few days into my review (which I'm still working on) if you want to see some photos and read about our experience. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1679447

As long as the connections & the rest of the cruise tour that you would be changing to are just as appealing as the current one, I'd say take the time. Good luck and have fun!

L.J.

Really enjoying your trip report!! Just planned to stay an extra day in seward!

• 4 weeks later...
LOL - thanks Amy! I'm halfway through Ketchikan - almost done! You'll enjoy the extra time in Seward!

L.J.

I also agree in fact one of the reasons I went back to Seaward was to send more time there on the 2nd visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

We are also debating this - our cruise ends in Seward in July. Would we have time to do the Sea Life center and Kenai boat tour in one day and still make the train to Anchorage at 6pm? It seems like a lot but the hotels in Seward are pricey and we need 2 rooms!

Thanks for any advice.

Susan

Archived