Who here travelled the SS Norway - ex France.........................................

JR Ewing

If this is the wrong place to post - please advise. I'm a Costa fan, but this ship has a ton of memories for my family and me (both as the Norway/France).

I have been following her since the boiler explosion (2 weeks after we disembarked after our 10th Anniversary - we had our Honeymoon on that ship as did our parents and a lot of other misc. trips) and have a lot of links to pics as she just left Germany for Asia.

I have a hard time comprehending the cost of towing her from Miami to Germany and now on a 72 day journey to Asia.

I know all about the boiler issues but there has to be a cost cutting issue here as she was docked in Germany for an internity with zero repairs done...and now the 2 tows.

She has/had the classic lines that our new boats will never have. Yes she was antiquated but her graceful lines and overall feel made up for everything.

I guess I should be happy that I sailed her 4 times and she had a second life as the Norway. She enjoyed quite the rebirth in the 80's and was lucky to last as long as she did.

Still - I would pay almost any price to sail her again to revisit the memories and overall feel that the current liners cannot duplicate.

• 1 month later...

Where can I get info on this event? I never cruised the Norway but considered that ship on several occasions since the last few times I saw that name, the offers were quite tempting! (I assume/hope? those cruise bargains were BEFORE the boiler exploded!!!:)

Archived