pricing rci

We had the same problem on the Pacific Sun, used the ANZ card for the charges and then was hit with overseas fees because it was processed by P&O UK. It is the banks that are the rip off this time. Also have had the same problem with Living Social coupons and Fung Kwei duty free in Vila, both were charged in AUD but because the transaction was processed overseas the fees apply.

Den, I have booked my RCI cruise direct with RCI Aust website & paid in full in AUD. I also bought shore excursions and made restaurant bookings, also in AUD as shown on the website.

I have not been charged any fees and the amounts were not converted to USD. I use a Westpac Visa card.

This leads me to think it is your bank who is the culprit.

At the risk of repeating myself - it depends entirely on your bank! ( I used to work for the b****s)

So far we have NAB & ANZ ripping people off, there is absolutely no need for them to convert an AUD amount to USD and then back to AUD. I would be complaining like hell! And changing banks...

• 2 weeks later...

use my Aust Post Load n go, which I just re-read all the conditions, they use the Aust Post determined exchange rate, which today would have been at 1.0137 (probably about similar when we booked), and it would have cost me about $5920 AUD instead of over $6500. Anyhow, I am going to drop it too, and not keep getting mad, and I am really looking forward to the trip :D (by the way, yesterday I thought the Load n go was a 3% fee, that is only an extra fee for currencies not covered by the travel card - other currencies are at the Aust Post determined rate, which you can check once you login)

Is the load and go credit card that you get from the post office able to be used on the ship? Can it be used in NZ?? I noticed that it said somewhere that is was a visa. We are taking my daughters friend with us on our next cruise and might suggest she get one of these instead of converting $AU into $US. We converted our money last time and we were charged each time for converting plus a fee to get the money to a country town. We did it 4 times as the $AU was a lot higher than $US but not sure if we made a saving due to the fees. Might have been cheaper to use our mastercard and pay the fees.

Yes, available from Australial Post electronic offices, any with a computer online in the shop. There are two types of loadngo, one that is just aud, and the other is a multi currency travel card - (both are prepaid visa). The travel card can be NZ, US, Euro and GBP also. You load in aud (no fee for this at post) and then you transfer online into the wallet of the currency you want and pick when you want to do that. Otherwise use it and get the rate on that day. You can check the conversion rates when you log in very easily. Go to aus post web site for all the terms and conditions, but we have been very pleased with it so far. If you use one of the currencies you don't get any further international transaction fees. There is a $2 ATM fee, and if you use it online or in a store there is a 9c fee. It has the CCV number on back ,and you text to get a pin number allocated, or you can sign at shops, or it has the paywave thing also.

Aus post can also tell you about 0% commission for os cash.

We used ours to pay in aud for our upgrade the other day direct with RCI, and 9c was the only fee. Do check all the terms though. Today's USD exchange rate showed at 1.0224 and the nz rate was 1.2073 at 10pm 17th jan.

The only thing with on the ship might be the daily authorization holds that we have previously had on our normal NAB visa card. Not sure how that will work, but we will know more in a few weeks :o)

We were charged 2pc by our bank after booking over the phone with RCI in AUST. I could not believe that the transaction was charged in USD when the advert quoted AUD and so rang and complained. Apparently the cruise consultant is required to tell you about the fee being processed in USD and the potential for bank fees on the conversion. This did not happen when I booked. After standing politely but firmly by the view that this was very poor customer service, RCI agreed to pay about 85pc of the bank fee in OBC.

After this learning experience I too obtained a 28 Degrees MasterCard. It is brilliant. Not only do you avoid all conversion charges, but they convert at the wholesale rate and, if you pre-pay into it (so not a cash advance) you can use it to withdraw cash at ATMs in foreign ports fee-free and with the same great conversion rate. As a bonus, it's great for Internet shopping out of the US/UK etc. It's not often I will applaud a financial institution, but GE deserves accolades for this one.

After this learning experience I too obtained a 28 Degrees MasterCard. It is brilliant. Not only do you avoid all conversion charges, but they convert at the wholesale rate and, if you pre-pay into it (so not a cash advance) you can use it to withdraw cash at ATMs in foreign ports fee-free and with the same great conversion rate. As a bonus, it's great for Internet shopping out of the US/UK etc. It's not often I will applaud a financial institution, but GE deserves accolades for this one.

Totally agree. Use it also for your overseas flight bookings. For example a flight from Hon-Syd is charged in USD but from Syd-Hon it is AUD.

Archived