Valor Cuba Question

scejas

Hey guys -- I'll be on the Valor in Sept. and I was wondering if at any point when sailing near cuba are you able to see the island off in the distance?

I will be sailing with my grandmother which has been in exile for 35 plus years and well I would like her to get one glimpse of Cuba again....

Doubtful if you are doing the Eastern route. Possibly with the Western.

IF Cuba is really important (I've seen it a couple of times as a coastline almost on the horizon) you may want to consider the Victory 7 day Western.

I believe it will actually circle Cuba. Miami, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and Miami. Better chance of seeing it after leaving Jamaica when it cuts between Cuban and Haiti. Downside is that it might be dusk or after dark when you pass.

Again, it's not much to see. But, I can understand you wanting to provide Mom the opportunity.

Charlie

We are just off the Carnival Triumph, W. Caribbean. Our last port of call was Jamaica. Going back to Miami, we skirted Cuba. We were able to see a good bit of the Cuban coastline. If you are already booked, check the Carnival webpage for your ship's map to see how close your ship sails to Cuba. You might use the Triumph, W. Caribbean page/map as a guide. Or, call Carnival and ask. If it isn't close enough to see the island, you can change your ship / cruise. I changed our's because of the itenerary. Whatever you do, take a good pair of binoculars with you on your cruise so that your grandmother can see the island a little better. My heart goes out to her.

when we went to Jamaica last June (all inclusive instead of cruise for us last year!) , AA gained permission to fly over Cuban air space. My God, what a lush looking, gorgeous country! Anyhow, we have also seen it on the horizon on Imagination 5 day Western routes as well. Enjoy!

Jen

Scejas - I can't answer your question, but I hope your grandmother gets a glimpse of her homeland.

Derf - I've met Andy Garcia, and to hear him talk of his birthplace, the beauty of Cuba, and the people - I would love to go there and see it for myself. Unfortunately, Fidel will probably outlive me!:rolleyes:

As long as a Communist dictatorship is in power in Cuba, it is doubtful that the US Government would remove the trade sanctions. Raul Castro has been named the successor to Fidel. So without a change towards a democratic type government, I wouldn't expect to see any major change in our (US) policy towards Cuba.

We had a good view of Cuba on my first cruise, aboard the Tropicale. The Captain announced when we would be passing Cuba and many people were out on deck to get a glimpse. The watch towers were visible to the naked eye. You could see the guards watching us if you had binoculars.:(

We did the Triumph western itinerary in January. Was up on deck early the first day at sea and the coastline of Cuba was very visible. Was even able to see shipping traffic heading into one of the ports. My guess is it was Havana as you could vaguely see a few tall buildings on the coast, but again it was a guess. Managed a few snapshots which did not come out too well but looking back to the east was able to get a clear shot of smokestacks in the sun coming up. Also was able to see the eastern tip of Cuba on our last sea day as well.

Thanks a billion for all the feedback -- I guess the good news is that I will be on the Western Carib. sailing of the Valor -- so I have a sliver of hope to see it. I personally have never seen it (I was born in Miami) but I'm very excited to have my grandmother see it again.

I guess I'll fetch myself a good pair of binoculars and hope for a clear day. Thanks for all the well wishes. Hopefully Fidel and his thugs will lose power one day ... and the country will be free I have heard from some friends that have traveled there that there are some very nice beaches on the island. I'm anxious to visit ....

On our way back from Progreso on the Glory, we sailed the route around Cuba. My Grandmother saw men out in little row boats fishing. A man I spoke to the afternoon of debarkation said he saw the row boats and land in the distance. he said it was Cuba.

Hi everyone

I can personnaly tell you Cuba is a very beautiful place. Having been there 3 times.

It is a very " inexpensive" all inclusive vacation. for most of us Canadians I have been to Varadero, Havana and Cienfuegos on an all inclusive and never paid more than $ 1000.00 Canadian. ( that was for 2 weeks )

It is so lush, the people are so kind, they have nothing really.

Many Canadians bring shampoo, soaps, peronal hygiene items, candy, old shoes... you name it they bringit !

The cubans seem so appreciative......

It is such a shame that many will not be able to enjoy her beauty !

:)

Anyways on the last leg of our eastern route Victory Cruise you were able to Cayo Coco, Cuba off in the distance.

I have friends who went to Cuba on their honeymoon (Canadians). They said it's the most beautiful place they've ever been too. Can americans fly to Cuba via Canada or are we not allowed there period?

Hi there, I too am an exile from Cuba, from even before your grandmother, when we sailed the western route a few years ago we did see Cuba out in the distance when we where sailing back to Miami from Jamaica.

It was when we where having dinner that there was an announcement made. You should have seen everyone rush over to that side of the ship to catch a glimpse. Take a good pair of binoculars and ask the crew if/when they expect to pass by close enough to see it. I know it was well worth a quick view of a place I have not seen in forty years!!!!

As everyone has indicated, the western routes do pass close enough where you should be able to see Cuba on the horizon or even a bit closer.

I too am a Cuban-born US citizen and had the opportunity to return for a visit 3 years ago to see family that I hadn't seen in 40 years. While it is very apparent what the country once was, it is very sad to see the conditions that exist and how people must live. Havana seems to be stuck in 1959, and its obvious that very little has been done to maintain the infrastructure since then. The only real money that Castro has invested is in the tourist areas.

Yes, it is possible to travel to Cuba via Mexico or Canada. There are also charter flights that leave directly out of Miami (I took a charter on Continental when I went), however, you must meet the requirements for travel to Cuba set forth by the US Treasury Dept. If you are not a Cuban national retuning for a reason allowed in the rules, traveling to Cuba means taking the chance of going there in violation. I can tell you, however, that they don't stamp your passport in Cuba, so as far as your passport is concerned, you were never there. The Cuban authorities want your dollars and are well aware of the travel restrictions.

By the way, while Raul has been the obvious successor named for years, don't take it for granted. There are more moderate factions gaining a good foothold.

Happy cruising! Hope you catch a glimpse of the island.

U.S. aggressively enforcing Cuba travel restrictions

from

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/09/cuba.travel.ap/

Support to Lift Cuba Travel Restrictions Appears to Be Growing in US Congress

from

http://havanajournal.com/politics_comments/A901_0_5_0_M/

USA CUBA TRAVEL does not provide legal advise. No travel decision shall be based solely on information provided by this website.

from

http://www.usacubatravel.com/restriction.htm

One new restriction that has raised mixed emotions in the Cuban-American community is the limit on family visits to the Caribbean island.

from

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2004/6/27/85538.shtml

Archived