Sea World in Orlando?

Tashaf

Has anyone been to the Sea World in Orlando as a port excursion? I'm actually doing some research for my neighbors and Sea World is a must for thier son. Port Canaveral is the Orlando port isn't it? I'm also wondering what the best transportation to Sea World from the port would be. . . taxi or car rental if possible? Thanks for any info.

Port Canaveral is the closest port to Orlando, but it's a good hour drive from Port Canaveral to Orlando, a bit farther to Sea World, so a taxi would be extremely expensive - A rental car would be the way to go if they have enough time in port to allow for picking up and returning the car, and the drive over and back, plus any potential traffic problems of course. It probably won't leave them with very much time at Sea World.

A stop at Port Canaveral is best used for a trip to Kennedy Space Center, or used as a beach day/visit to Ron Jons surf shop in Cocoa Beach. Sea World, Disney, Universal, etc. would be best done on a land vacation to FL. IMO there really isn't enough time to go over there and do any of them right as a shorex.

I'll have to agree with TrentS.

I was just there on Sunday. You would not believe it, but for a holiday weekend, it was not very crowded. This was verified by some of the employees. Even without the crowds, you will spend time in lines and/or waiting for shows. The problem is, even though a show (Shamu, Blue Horizons, Sea Lions, etc.) is only 30 minutes long, you have to get to the venue 30-45 minutes before the start time, or else it will fill up. There is no "standing room", they actually stop people from entering the venue.

But, if you really want to rush and see it all, I can give a few pointers. The park opens at 9 am, so if your ship gets in to port early, get to OrlandoSea World ASAP. It is right near the intersection of Interstate 4 and the toll road that brings you from Cape Canaveral. I can't comment on taxi/bus/rental car, except to say that you should give yourself at least an hour on either end.

If you go, must do's include (and I don't recall the actual names, but you can figure it out if you visit their website): The dog and cat show, blue horizons, shamu, Kraken (rollercoaster), and the dolphin cove. I also recommend lunch at the Shark Grill. You eat surrounded by hundreds of sharks, rays, etc. swimming around you. You will have to wait if you want a table, but a seat at the bar is MUCH quicker to come by.

Bill

Archived