Anniversary cruise: Suite and Inside?

TimInOhio

My wife and I are planning on a cruise for our anniversary. We have sailed three times before, on the Caribbean Princess, Emerald Princess, and the Golden Princess, always in a BA cabin.

For our next cruise, I was thinking about suprising my wife with a Vista Suite like C750 or maybe a Penthouse Suite like A750 (all specific cabin number refer to Caribbean Princess).

My question is this: we will also be taking our son, who will be 13 at the time, and our daughter who will be 5. I was contemplating booking an inside cabin near our suite (like C746 or A748), where our son and his friend would sleep, and keep our daughter in our suite with us. Obviously, we would have to book one adult in each of the cabins. Has anyone tried anything like this before? Am I better off just moving up to an Owner's Suite (like A753) that sleeps 4 (and not let my son bring a friend)? Thanks for any info!

You could also consider a family suite. I'm not sure which ships include them and I know their number is limited, but it looks like a great layout.

stateroom_diagram_np_family_suite.gif

I have heard and read that it is so windy (due to being at the extreme front of the ship) that the balcony is unusable when the ship is under way - although the cabin would be a great fit for our situation. Thanks for the reply.

If you're planning on eating breakfast in Sabatini's, you might take that into consideration when picking rooms and who goes where. Only those registered in a suite are eligible - it doesn't include family members in other rooms. So if your husband is not officially in the suite, he won't be on the list to eat at Sabatini's nor your son and friend. That is the official policy. I'm sure someone will let you know if there have been "exceptions" to that rule, but I have personally seen friends and other family members not in the suite turned back with no exceptions.

Good luck with your planning.

As above poster stated above not all would be allowed to dine in Sabatini's.

We know someone who had the family suite and liked it because the privacy was better than in the other full suites, 2 bathrooms, 2 rooms and they got to eat breakfast in Sabatini's together. They did not miss the balcony, was able to use balcony when in ports and on a few sea days, but said they would book 2 balcony rooms or 2 mini suites if needed balcony. Ideally have liked booking a mini and an inside room. In my opinion breakfast in the dining room is comparable to Sabatini's. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Here are some thoughts:

Family Suite: I've been upgraded twice to the Family Suite. I've posted a review with photos here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1077929&highlight You've already noted that the biggest drawback is that the balcony is super windy when the ship is moving. Also, I understand that they charge you the full suite price for the first four passengers. And while the layout is very convenient, the rooms are basically the same as a regular mini-suite and an inside with an extra large sitting area. I think that a "real" suite is more luxurious.

Booking two rooms option: This is what we always do. As someone else has pointed out, the main problem is that you have to book an adult into the 2nd (non-suite) cabin, and there will probably be a problem with that adult getting the suite benefits. It's possible to go to the Purser's Desk after boarding and ask to have rooms reassigned, but they require that at least one person in the room be over 16. I'm not saying that anybody checks to see where everyone is sleeping. I'm just saying that they won't cooperate with reassigning rooms and issuing reassigned key cards if there isn't someone 16 or over in the room. Which brings you back to the problem of the adult in the non-suite room getting the suite benefits.

Good luck with this conundrum!

Here are some thoughts:

Family Suite: I've been upgraded twice to the Family Suite. I've posted a review with photos here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1077929&highlight You've already noted that the biggest drawback is that the balcony is super windy when the ship is moving. Also, I understand that they charge you the full suite price for the first four passengers. And while the layout is very convenient, the rooms are basically the same as a regular mini-suite and an inside with an extra large sitting area. I think that a "real" suite is more luxurious.

Booking two rooms option: This is what we always do. As someone else has pointed out, the main problem is that you have to book an adult into the 2nd (non-suite) cabin, and there will probably be a problem with that adult getting the suite benefits. It's possible to go to the Purser's Desk after boarding and ask to have rooms reassigned, but they require that at least one person in the room be over 16. I'm not saying that anybody checks to see where everyone is sleeping. I'm just saying that they won't cooperate with reassigning rooms and issuing reassigned key cards if there isn't someone 16 or over in the room. Which brings you back to the problem of the adult in the non-suite room getting the suite benefits.

Good luck with this conundrum!

Call Princess book inside across from your room and they should be able to book teens in their own room. I would do a mini-suite with an inside.

Call Princess book inside across from your room and they should be able to book teens in their own room. I would do a mini-suite with an inside.

From the Princess website:

For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/before.jsp

They won't let you book two 13 year olds into their own room without an adult, and they won't let you (officially) do it once onboard either.

My wife and I are planning on a cruise for our anniversary. We have sailed three times before, on the Caribbean Princess, Emerald Princess, and the Golden Princess, always in a BA cabin.

For our next cruise, I was thinking about suprising my wife with a Vista Suite like C750 or maybe a Penthouse Suite like A750 (all specific cabin number refer to Caribbean Princess).

My question is this: we will also be taking our son, who will be 13 at the time, and our daughter who will be 5. I was contemplating booking an inside cabin near our suite (like C746 or A748), where our son and his friend would sleep, and keep our daughter in our suite with us. Obviously, we would have to book one adult in each of the cabins. Has anyone tried anything like this before? Am I better off just moving up to an Owner's Suite (like A753) that sleeps 4 (and not let my son bring a friend)? Thanks for any info!

I had a similar anniversary cruise situation. What we did that really made the trip a romantic success was to book a penthouse suite for the wife and I and we left the children at home. No hassles and saved lots of money. The children had plenty of friends and activities at home so they were relieved that they didn't have to stay cooped up on a ship with a bunch of adults. Of course if you have no one at home who can take the children for the duration of the cruise then you will probably have to forego the Sabitini breakfast which is no big deal.

Archived