Redeeming Open Passage

jpapa96

I purchased an open passage while on the Quest in October. I have redeemed it for a balcony cabin on the 4/3 Journey sailing. However, it appears that I have only received credit for the $275 deposit. The paperwork is rather vague, but I thought I was entitled to a further $400 discount off whatever price my agent gave me. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Jami

I think that it takes a few days for them to apply the discount at the head office based on reporting of some kind as they have to wait and see how long the cruise is you will book and stateroom etc.

When did you book the ship and sail date?

I submitted the booking transfer form on 12/14, it was confirmed on 12/26, and my agent charged my card the total amount for final payment on that day. Previously, I received the discount a few days after the booking transfer form was accepted.

I purchased an open passage while on the Quest in October. I have redeemed it for a balcony cabin on the 4/3 Journey sailing. However, it appears that I have only received credit for the $275 deposit. The paperwork is rather vague, but I thought I was entitled to a further $400 discount off whatever price my agent gave me. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Jami

Hi Jami,

From what I recall reading on the boards, there is a delay of several days for the discount to be applied. I suggest asking your TA to give them a call, and ask for an update. Please let us know what happens. Good Luck !

IThe paperwork is rather vague, but I thought I was entitled to a further $400 discount off whatever price my agent gave me. Has anyone else had similar problems?

Jami

Ask your agent for a Guest Confirmation/pdf from Azamara. It would show the discount.

Is it possible that your agent already included it in the rate that they quoted you?

If this is a new booking you can look right on Azamara's web site and see if your rate is at least $400.00 less.

I haven't had a problem, but we booked on board and then transferd to the agent when we got home. The discount shows right up on Azamara's paperwork.

What did your agent say?

My TA is now telling me that the open passage discount only works with retail fares and cannot be utilized with his discount fare. This will be the third time I've used one for AZ and have always booked a fare lower than published and have always gotten a further discount. I've tried contacting AZ customer service, but no response thus far.

My TA is now telling me that the open passage discount only works with retail fares and cannot be utilized with his discount fare. This will be the third time I've used one for AZ and have always booked a fare lower than published and have always gotten a further discount. I've tried contacting AZ customer service, but no response thus far.

Get back the Open Passage and find a new TA. The Open Passage will work unless Azamara is giving three or more cash discounts (e.g., ChoiceAir discount, stateroom category upgrade, on board credit, etc.) in a promotion. If, for some reason, this really is the case in your situation, I'd get the Open Passage back and just pay the regular deposit. Why waste the Open Passage on a cruise where you won't get the Open Passage discount?

Get back the Open Passage and find a new TA. The Open Passage will work unless Azamara is giving three or more cash discounts (e.g., ChoiceAir discount, stateroom category upgrade, on board credit, etc.) in a promotion. If, for some reason, this really is the case in your situation, I'd get the Open Passage back and just pay the regular deposit. Why waste the Open Passage on a cruise where you won't get the Open Passage discount?

I think the TA has him booked in a group. There are some deeply discounted groups that are not combineable ie Group X. The TA should have investigated and advised you of this fact upon booking.

Jami

Hello Jamie -

First, thank you for your future booking! I'm sorry that you and your travel agent are experiencing difficulty during the redemption process. Similar to Host Andy, I suggest that your travel agent contact our reservation's call center at 1-877-999-9553 to solve this customer service issue. They will have access to the original onboard booking record and are in a better position to help you. I've mentioned before that I'm not connected to the system and have no way to investigate the reason for the delay in your Open Passages deposit being applied. As "Marinaro44" mentioned, we permit a guest's booking to include a maximum of three onboard credit or savings (dollars off) promotions.

Please let us know the outcome of your situation.

Our best wishes for a wonderful Azamara vacation ahead!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Azamara Shoreside strikes again! We have just booked a cruise using the Open Passage we purchased last year. As the cruise is less than 10 weeks away we have had to pay the full cost less the deposit paid on board, and then when Miami apply the discount allowable they will refund that amount to me (via TA).

So, the end result is I am out of pocket by several hundred pounds until I receive the refund, and Azamara create additional work for themselves (costing money).

Talk about making something simple, hard work and frustrating. We should be relaxing and looking forward to another Azamazing Experience, but instead it's going to be hassle the TA to hassle Azamara.

But is this just a UK thing?

Peter

We will be on Azamara for the first time in a couple of weeks. Have been on Celebrity in the past but never booked anything whilst on board, spending too much time enjoying ourselves rather than with a sales person. However, after reading this thread and seeing the savings I might just make some time to visit the sales office.

I would like to know how the whole thing works and most importantly can these future cruise vouchers be used on other ships in the company. What I mean is can it be used on a Celebrity ship? Just want to keep my options open!

Thanks

Sharon

Azamara Shoreside strikes again! We have just booked a cruise using the Open Passage we purchased last year. As the cruise is less than 10 weeks away we have had to pay the full cost less the deposit paid on board, and then when Miami apply the discount allowable they will refund that amount to me (via TA).

So, the end result is I am out of pocket by several hundred pounds until I receive the refund, and Azamara create additional work for themselves (costing money).

Talk about making something simple, hard work and frustrating. We should be relaxing and looking forward to another Azamazing Experience, but instead it's going to be hassle the TA to hassle Azamara.

Peter

Hello Peter -

Your point is well-taken. Please give me some time to look into the methodology of applying the open passage savings and if there are local market differences in the procedures.

I'll let you know the details as soon as I learn them.

Thanks for your continued loyalty to Azamara!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

We will be on Azamara for the first time in a couple of weeks. Have been on Celebrity in the past but never booked anything whilst on board, spending too much time enjoying ourselves rather than with a sales person. However, after reading this thread and seeing the savings I might just make some time to visit the sales office.

I would like to know how the whole thing works and most importantly can these future cruise vouchers be used on other ships in the company. What I mean is can it be used on a Celebrity ship? Just want to keep my options open!

Thanks

Sharon

Hello Sharon -

When you're on Azamara you'll be able to purchase either an Azamara "Open Passage" Savings (Ship, sail date or stateroom category is not required at time of initial deposit) or an Azamara "Reserved Passage" Savings (Ship, sail date or stateroom category required at time of initial deposit) which offer a $200 to $600 savings per stateroom depending on category (Suite, Veranda, or Oceanview) and voyage length:

§ Voyages of 8 nights or less, you will receive a $200-$400 discount per stateroom, depending on category.

§ Voyages of 9 nights or more, you will receive a $400-$600 discount per stateroom, depending on category.

If you were to have purchased an Azamara "Open Passage" while you were on board Azamara, you would not be able to transfer your Azamara booking to Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. All "open" bookings (Azamara Open Passages, Celebrity Open Passages, or Royal Caribbean Decide Later bookings) cannot be converted to another brand. So once an open booking for a particular brand, always a booking for that particular brand.

On the other hand, if you had purchased a "confirmed" booking (Azamara Reserved Passages, Celebrity Reserved Passages, or Royal Caribbean Decide Now bookings) it could be changed to a sailing on another brand; however, the onboard booking benefit would also change to be that of the new brand. So if the booking starts as a Royal Caribbean 7 night sailing which offers $100 OBC as the onboard booking benefit then changes to an Azamara Club Cruises 10 night sailing in a Club Suite, the onboard booking benefit will change from the OBC to the $600 per stateroom savings. Nevertheless, depending on when a booking changes, cancellation charges may be applied and some restrictions may apply in certain markets.

In short, it's only the open bookings that cannot change brands at any point within the life of the booking. But by the same token, keep in mind that the Azamara and Celebrity Open Passages never expire.

Also, while you're onboard Azamara, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean, you'll be able to book any one of the three brands. You'll need to contact the onboard sales consultant to do so since only the brand of the ship on which you're traveling is promoted.

I hope this information has been helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you onboard later this month and wish you a Happy Sailing!

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

This is the reply I received from my travel agent - it is the first time I have worked with him, so am a bit cautious. Does this response make sense to anyone? This is my 5th time on AZ and every other cruise I have booked has been at below the advertised retail price...

The only rates that can have the credit applied are the Retail Rates of which are the most expensive ones. I have a Special Rate which was quoted that has the discount factored in at the initial quote. My rate code does not combine the Voucher as its already a Wholesale Rate not the retail and offers the Greater Discount.

Azamara should be able to tell you there are only certain fare codes that offer the Cruise Credit from and others, which I have for my agency that do not allow it to be combined but are a Wholesale Price which I use that has these credits factored in already.

Please contact them again if necessary but you were given full credit as you can see I priced your cruise around $xxx less than the Retail Rate which we certainly do not have that much commission to work from and validates the Credits based on a much better rate code that is offering even greater savings. That is why we do so much business with Azamara and get these special offers.

This is the reply I received from my travel agent - it is the first time I have worked with him, so am a bit cautious. Does this response make sense to anyone? This is my 5th time on AZ and every other cruise I have booked has been at below the advertised retail price...

The only rates that can have the credit applied are the Retail Rates of which are the most expensive ones. I have a Special Rate which was quoted that has the discount factored in at the initial quote. My rate code does not combine the Voucher as its already a Wholesale Rate not the retail and offers the Greater Discount.

Azamara should be able to tell you there are only certain fare codes that offer the Cruise Credit from and others, which I have for my agency that do not allow it to be combined but are a Wholesale Price which I use that has these credits factored in already.

Please contact them again if necessary but you were given full credit as you can see I priced your cruise around $xxx less than the Retail Rate which we certainly do not have that much commission to work from and validates the Credits based on a much better rate code that is offering even greater savings. That is why we do so much business with Azamara and get these special offers.

We ran into this issue with Celebrity last year. I purchased a (Celebrity) Open Passage and was told onboard that it could be combined with group rates. The onboard (sales) consultant was so insistent that he gave me his card and said to contact him if I had a problem. It turned out my ta had a groupX rate which was not combinable (but it never said in the fine print anything about a "GroupX" rate). However, my agent gave me the option to be in or out of the group. On Celebrity, it was a choice between a $300.00 OBC (from booking onboard) or about $200.00 less in the cruise fare plus $100.00 OBC as part of the group. I took the lower fare. Later the agent gave me additional OBC, and the cruise fare never went down in price.

All of these group bookings require a full deposit (which we did not have a problem with), but was looking for the OBC, which was the reason for purchasing the Open Passage in the first place.

Ask your agent for the group code (I think a lot of people would like to know which Azamara codes/group rates cannot be combined with a book onboard discount). Also, ask for the pricing if you had not been put into the group.

Of course this is an issue to resolve now since you have already paid in full.

On the other hand, if you had purchased a "confirmed" booking (Azamara Reserved Passages, Celebrity Reserved Passages, or Royal Caribbean Decide Now bookings) it could be changed to a sailing on another brand; however, the onboard booking benefit would also change to be that of the new brand. So if the booking starts as a Royal Caribbean 7 night sailing which offers $100 OBC as the onboard booking benefit then changes to an Azamara Club Cruises 10 night sailing in a Club Suite, the onboard booking benefit will change from the OBC to the $600 per stateroom savings. Nevertheless, depending on when a booking changes, cancellation charges may be applied and some restrictions may apply in certain markets.

In short, it's only the open bookings that cannot change brands at any point within the life of the booking. But by the same token, keep in mind that the Azamara and Celebrity Open Passages never expire.

Also, while you're onboard Azamara, Celebrity or Royal Caribbean, you'll be able to book any one of the three brands. You'll need to contact the onboard sales consultant to do so since only the brand of the ship on which you're traveling is promoted.

I hope this information has been helpful.

[/size]

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill,

This is great news that reserved Passages on Azamara can be moved to a Celebrity sailing. I understand that while Azamara has a book on board discount, Celebrity has OBC. I had actually asked this question before, but I thought the answer was no.

So, now we know that both of our Azamara bookings (which started as deposts onboard for specific cruises, not Open Passages), can be moved to a Celebrity sailing if we wish.

This is good news and confirms that picking a specific cruise (at least if in the US) is a better book on board option than the Open Passage. I understand that it does not work as well for those in the UK, etc. because they would loose their deposit if they decided to transfer. I was always told by Azamara onboard to pick a specific cruise since it was refundable (less a small amount which is new), and the Open Passages were not refundable.

Thank you for the confirmation!

Peter

Hmm, I'd check with your agent and also your invoice. Azamara operates a 57 day balance due, so if you are 10 weeks out, they won't have been asking you for full payment. Are you sure thgis isn't the travel agent making that demand under their terms?

Bill, are you 100% sure that you can change brands??? I only ask because my mother had an Azamara open passage and wanted to book a Celebrity sailing and was told that it could not be used for Royal or Celebrity, only Azamara and that those rules aply to Royal and Celebrity open bookings also! :eek:

Bill, are you 100% sure that you can change brands??? I only ask because my mother had an Azamara open passage and wanted to book a Celebrity sailing and was told that it could not be used for Royal or Celebrity, only Azamara and that those rules aply to Royal and Celebrity open bookings also! :eek:

Bill confirmed that Open Passages cannot be switched between brands, only Reserved Passages can be switched, which means your mother would have had to have picked a specific Azamara cruise while onboard, and could now switch it to a specific Celebrity sailing.

"if you had purchased a "confirmed" booking (Azamara Reserved Passages, Celebrity Reserved Passages, or Royal Caribbean Decide Now bookings) it could be changed to a sailing on another brand;

In short, it's only the open bookings that cannot change brands at any point within the life of the booking."

Bill confirmed that Open Passages cannot be switched between brands, only Reserved Passages can be switched, which means your mother would have had to have picked a specific Azamara cruise while onboard, and could now switch it to a specific Celebrity sailing.

"if you had purchased a "confirmed" booking (Azamara Reserved Passages, Celebrity Reserved Passages, or Royal Caribbean Decide Now bookings) it could be changed to a sailing on another brand;

In short, it's only the open bookings that cannot change brands at any point within the life of the booking."

Thank you Jade13 for pointing that out. I apologise if my post caused any confusion as I was referring specifically to Open Passage bookings and not those where you select a ship and sail date onboard. Mea culpa! :(

Thank you Jade13 for pointing that out. I apologise if my post caused any confusion as I was referring specifically to Open Passage bookings and not those where you select a ship and sail date onboard. Mea culpa! :(

Not a problem. I think it is confusing, and do not understand why one (Open Passage verses Reserved Passage) is treated differently than the other.

I don't see any advantage for US passengers in booking an Open Passage (although we just did one on Celebrity) since the Reserved Passage can be switched between brands (I just found that out), except that a Reserved Passage has to be turned over to an ouside agent within 60 days. I do see the advantage of the Open Passage for UK passengers and those who would loose a deposit if they booked a specfic cruise onboard and then changed itineraries. Someone in the US just has to work with a travel agent who does not charge a fee for changing itineraries (we use one that also does not charge for cancelations).

As I understand it, a Reserved Passage is considered an existing booking and therefore ineligible for any future Azamara promos that are for "new bookings" only. But it can be transferred to another brand within the RCCL family. An Open Passage, on the other hand, would be eligible for any Azamara "new bookings" offers but it's not transferable to another brand. Other than that, I think the terms of both Open and Reserved Passages are identical.

So it comes down to what's most important to you - being eligible for any Azamara "new bookings" promos with an Open Passage or being able to transfer to another RCCL brand with a Reserved Passage. Since I would have no interest in transferring to another brand but I'd love to have take advantage of "new bookings" offers, I prefer an Open Passage.

As I understand it, a Reserved Passage is considered an existing booking and therefore ineligible for any future Azamara promos that are for "new bookings" only. But it can be transferred to another brand within the RCCL family. An Open Passage, on the other hand, would be eligible for any Azamara "new bookings" offers but it's not transferable to another brand. Other than that, I think the terms of both Open and Reserved Passages are identical.

So it comes down to what's most important to you - being eligible for any Azamara "new bookings" promos with an Open Passage or being able to transfer to another RCCL brand with a Reserved Passage. Since I would have no interest in transferring to another brand but I'd love to have take advantage of "new bookings" offers, I prefer an Open Passage.

No, Bill has posted here that new offers can be applied to existing bookings but at prevailing rates.

Of course what they posted Azamara has refused to honor in our case. There was a $1,000.00 per person Choice Air Credit posted on the website for about a week for ocean view and above. I was told by the Rep it would be applied but had to be done through our agent. When our agent contacted them they refused to honor citing a website error, BUT agreed to honor for new bookings. So, I guess I would have been better off with the Open Passage. Actually, if I had known I could, I would have transfered my existing booking to Celebrity and started over with the $1,000 Choice Air credit (I am still hopeful they will have this offer because right now the economy air for the cruise we have booked is about $2,000 per person and I think it will be a problem for Azamara to fill the ship, at least with US passengers unless they offer a $1,000 Choice Air credit or have special air pricing).

But again, it has been stated here that new offers can be applied to existing bookings (at prevailing rates), so if true than it doesn't make an Open Passage more favorable than a Reserved Passage.

So it comes down to what's most important to you - being eligible for any Azamara "new bookings" promos with an Open Passage or being able to transfer to another RCCL brand with a Reserved Passage.

If the "new booking" promo has more than two cash discounts (e.g., stateroom upgrade, ChoiceAir discount, OBC, etc.) you will not get the on-board discount when using an Open Passage. States so clearly in the small print.

If the "new booking" promo has more than two cash discounts (e.g., stateroom upgrade, ChoiceAir discount, OBC, etc.) you will not get the on-board discount when using an Open Passage. States so clearly in the small print.
You're right, Marinaro, but I think that restriction applies equally to both Open and Reserved Passages. We received an info bulletin on our last Azamara cruise and the T&C indicated that both Open and Reserved Passages are combinable with most future Azamara offers, but limited to being combined with not more than 2 other OBC or dollars-off promos.

My preference for Open Passages was that I understood they would be eligible for "new bookings" offers while Reserved Passages wouldn't. Apparently that's no longer the case, according to what Jade has posted.

Archived