Suggestions for getting to Singapore in one piece!

curiousx

We are thinking of taking one of the Seabourn cruises out of Singapore next fall. We live in central Canada and want to break up the long flights there and back with a number of stopovers of varying lengths. The first part of this plan is easy as we have family living in the west who, we think (!), would be happy to have us for a short visit.

After leaving the west coast, our tentative plan is to fly to Hawaii or perhaps even the South Pacific for up to 10 days before tackling the next leg to Singapore.

Everything I have seen about the flights from Hawaii to Singapore indicates that it is an 18 hour flight minimum. Even travelling business class, this is something we would prefer to avoid.

We’d appreciate suggestions from others on whether and how it might be possible to break up the onward-to-Singapore leg into something more manageable.

I’ve been using the various flight search engines out there (expedia, Kayak), but they are not too helpful. Eventually, I will take the conundrum to our TA, but I would appreciate your help in developing some preliminary ideas.

Thanks!

We live in Toronto and have flown to the far east a few times. Usually to HK or Tokyo first as Singapore is too far from Toronto. We just came back from Beijing and it is only 13 hours by air. I think a polar flight might be better as it is shorter than going around the equator. Maybe Vancouver to HK, then three day layover, then fly down to Singapore. Go early to Singapore as it's a great place to explore for a few days before your cruise.

There used to be a non-stop Newark to Singapore but I think that has been discontinued.

Granted, we live on the east coast, but on a China trip that started in Beijing, we flew East, not West (as most people do), taking a morning flight from Boston to London, where we spent 3 lovely days, then taking an overnight flight to Beijing. No jet lag to speak of....the only people in our group not suffering. We found this much easier than our route traveling west to New Zealand, though we stopped on the way there in LA and spent 3 days in Hawaii on the way back. We much preferred going through London, and will do so again when we plan our Hong Kong-Singapore cruise some time in the future.

BA also has direct overnight flights from London to Singapore.

I meant to add: You might think of a few days in New York, Toronto, etc, followed by a few days on London. I think the trick was the morning flight to London that got us there that same evening in time for a late dinner. Yes, we had to stay up a bit late the first night but it really worked out well.

From the eastern seaboard you are about as far from Singapore as you can get whether you go west or east. I appreciate that you are in Central Canada but you may wish to consider going via London or Paris rather than the west coast and Hawaii.

I meant to add: You might think of a few days in New York, Toronto, etc, followed by a few days on London. I think the trick was the morning flight to London that got us there that same evening in time for a late dinner. Yes, we had to stay up a bit late the first night but it really worked out well.

Used to take the day flight from JFK to London all the time. Much preferred it to the overnight flight and found that I was always less affected by jet lag that way.

We are thinking of taking one of the Seabourn cruises out of Singapore next fall. We live in central Canada and want to break up the long flights there and back with a number of stopovers of varying lengths. The first part of this plan is easy as we have family living in the west who, we think (!), would be happy to have us for a short visit.

After leaving the west coast, our tentative plan is to fly to Hawaii or perhaps even the South Pacific for up to 10 days before tackling the next leg to Singapore.

Everything I have seen about the flights from Hawaii to Singapore indicates that it is an 18 hour flight minimum. Even travelling business class, this is something we would prefer to avoid.

We’d appreciate suggestions from others on whether and how it might be possible to break up the onward-to-Singapore leg into something more manageable.

I’ve been using the various flight search engines out there (expedia, Kayak), but they are not too helpful. Eventually, I will take the conundrum to our TA, but I would appreciate your help in developing some preliminary ideas.

Thanks!

Have you looked at the Star Alliance (Air Canada et al) or the One World "Round the World" or "Circle Pacific Ticket" ? If flying business class, the fare is almost the same as doing a split return flight. Both groups have a superb web facility for planning flight ideas.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/fares/round-the-world-fare/

http://www.oneworld.com/flights/round-the-world-fares/

From Central Canada you could start off at Vancouver, then Hawaii, then the Cook Islands. A quick stopover in New Zealand then off to Singapore.

Depending on which fare you choose, on the way back, the world is your oyster, go east or west !

If you do look into an around the world ticket go read the book "Around the World in 80 Dinners" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. It will give you not only some insight into securing an around the world ticket, but some great food ideas for stops along the way as well.

Archived