Cruises from San Diego again?

MaiTaiMary

I hope so. The Imagination and Inspiration are having a hard time selling out. I hope they move one of them to San Diego to run this schedule:

6 night Mexican Riviera (Sunday-Saturday)

San Diego- 4PM

Sea Day

Cabo San Lucas- 11AM-6PM

Puerto Vallarta- 9AM-6PM

Sea Day

Sea Day

San Diego- 7AM

5 night Mexican Riviera (Saturday-Thursday)

San Diego-4PM

Sea Day

Cabo San Lucas- 11AM-8PM

Cabo San Lucas- 7AM-2PM

Sea Day

San Diego- 7AM

3 night Mexican Riviera (Thursday-Sunday)

San Diego- 4PM

Ensenada- 7AM-11PM

Sea Day

San Diego- 7AM

just made this up quickly. but I've always wanted to go to San Diego and this will give me an excuse. If they switched the Inspiration with Ecstasy then they could even bring balconies over. :D

Diggin' up an old thread. :)

Has anybody heard any new news about a Carnival ship leaving from San Diego?

Hi Mary, I was on the Miracle last week and someone asked this very question of Troy, the cruise director. He said it was for 2 reasons. One being that having a Carnival ship here was taking away from the Holland America sailings, as it is a sister company. He also said, and I don't know how they determine this, but that people will drive from SD to LA for a cruise, but not the opposite.

I also miss having a Carnival ship here. Took the Elation twice when she was here, for the 5 day itinerary. Would do that one again in a heartbeat! :D

Hi Mary, I was on the Miracle last week and someone asked this very question of Troy, the cruise director. He said it was for 2 reasons. One being that having a Carnival ship here was taking away from the Holland America sailings, as it is a sister company. He also said, and I don't know how they determine this, but that people will drive from SD to LA for a cruise, but not the opposite.

I also miss having a Carnival ship here. Took the Elation twice when she was here, for the 5 day itinerary. Would do that one again in a heartbeat! :D

Having visited a friend there over the years and that being my go to area for music usually...I get this. Loved sailing out of San Diego once. People from smaller areas do not mind driving to larger..and vica versa but in much LESS numbers plus there are more of the biggest city dwellers..it is sad but i get this...thanks for posting. Part of it is, "I pay to live where they have it "all" and I will wait until it comes here.

San Diego is to LA as Portland, Or is to Seattle..love all places but San Diego and Portland are cities with a smaller softer side..even though there are always city problems...darn I love the west coast...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

We did the Spirit from San Diego and sailing past North Island at sunset and having two fighter jets take off and hit the afterburners going almost straight up was pretty awe inspiring.

The port of San Diego priced itself out of the market by raising the port fees to pay for the new terminal. It was all over the papers a few years ago.

I still see cruise ships in port whenever I am there so until the port misses out on the business I doubt you will see much of a change. Also, I don't see any way they can add more docks unless they move down pass the ball park, which wouldn't be near as nice as the current location.

I agree that SD is a great location to sail out of. On the west coast I would have to rate only Vancouver, BC as better. I have only disembarked at San Francisco and since we only live 90 minutes away that was pretty awesome being home by noon and not midnight. Sailing under the Golden Gate is pretty cool also. But I think terminal facilities at SD and BC are better.

Cruising out of SD is a dream. I use to take public transportation from the airport to port. It is so close.

I would love to take the coastal train a few places and sort of do this...

I spent some days in Old town by luck of the draw from on a Priceline bid for my last cruise in 2012...Easter which was Spirit with 2 nights in Cabo.

Was a newly redone little hotel and wow Old Town, Gaslight, La Jolla, PT Loma, North County , Carlsbad..-so many areas to park a few days pre and post in that area...Sarah

How was your Miracle cruise last week? I go on it on the 28th, the last cruise before it goes into dry dock. Been looking for reviews and, sadly, there are not that many.

I did the 5 day out of San Diego. I think one of the reasons the ships aren't selling well out here is we usually get the older and smaller ones. I loved taking the Splendor to the Mexican Riviera while it was here. I'm not a huge fan of the Mexican ports. I cruise locally for the cruise itself, so a nice ship helps.

I was on the Miracle in November and someone (my brother) asked about returning to San Diego and Troy said the exact same thing. Must be the corporate line.

I've done HAL out of San Diego and it is not the same as the Carnival cruises I have taken out of there. I loved the 5 days as I could include a couple of days visiting family and then take the train down and walk to the pier. When I get back a $10 cab ride gets me back to the airport and a 2 hour flight back to Denver.

I agree they need a better ship. Since they can't do much about the port variety, if they had a great ship like the Magic people would cruise for the ship as alot of people do already.

I dont see the west coast getting any newer bigger ships until the Panama Canal extentsion is completed at the very least. It is very very costly to sail all the way around the tip of South America to get a ship there that cant fit through the canal.

I hope so. The Imagination and Inspiration are having a hard time selling out. I hope they move one of them to San Diego to run this schedule:

6 night Mexican Riviera (Sunday-Saturday)

San Diego- 4PM

Sea Day

Cabo San Lucas- 11AM-6PM

Puerto Vallarta- 9AM-6PM

Sea Day

Sea Day

San Diego- 7AM

5 night Mexican Riviera (Saturday-Thursday)

San Diego-4PM

Sea Day

Cabo San Lucas- 11AM-8PM

Cabo San Lucas- 7AM-2PM

Sea Day

San Diego- 7AM

3 night Mexican Riviera (Thursday-Sunday)

San Diego- 4PM

Ensenada- 7AM-11PM

Sea Day

San Diego- 7AM

just made this up quickly. but I've always wanted to go to San Diego and this will give me an excuse. If they switched the Inspiration with Ecstasy then they could even bring balconies over. :D

My first cruise was on the Elation out of San Diego. It was a 5 day and went to Ensenada and Cabo. That was a really nice cruise. I really wish they'd bring that one back.

no they are from San Diego. :) I've been looking into them. The Norwegian Sun.

I've had my eye on those 11 day cruises also. I sure miss the 9 day Carnival cruises out of San Diego.

Also, been thinking about the 13 day on the Miracle next January from Long Beach.

Love, love those longer Mexican cruises!

I've had my eye on those 11 day cruises also. I sure miss the 9 day Carnival cruises out of San Diego.

Also, been thinking about the 13 day on the Miracle next January from Long Beach.

Love, love those longer Mexican cruises!

Join us. We're lonely on the Roll Call.

We've done 9&10 day MR cruises on Princess.

Edited by SadieN