events in New Orleans in January, February and March

HCTiger9704

January/February: Mardi Gras Season (aka Mardi Gras and Carnival season) starts on January 6 and will end on Fat Tuesday (Mardi Gras Day), which this year will be on Tuesday, February 12, 2013. Just to be clear, Mardi Gras Season always start on January 6 but it does not end on the same day every year.

February: For those who are leaving on a cruise in February, be aware that the Super Bowl XLVII will be played on February 3, 2013 in New Orleans, LA. My guess is there will be events going on before February 3 and some streets will be closed.

March: There will be events that deals with Irish and Italian culture due to St. Patrick's Day and St. Joseph's Day (the most popular events are the parades).

My point: If you are going on a cruise out of New Orleans, Louisiana, be prepared for some streets being closed in January, February and March. You will need to plan ahead of time when you are going to leave, and how are you going to get to the cruiseship. You might have to arrive early and bring a book to read while you are waiting to get on the cruiseship.

We are returning from our cruise on March 3. Fortunately we booked the hotel months ago but I have noticed they are now sold out. I have not been able to find out what is going on March 3-7. Nothing I see looks like it would sell out all the hotels. Anyone have any idea?:eek:

my advice, if you are leaving out of N.O. on Feb 3, Feb 9, or Feb 10 to make your way to the port as early as possible because the traffic at the Tchopitoulas(sp?) exit can be a headache on certain parade days...which makes me wonder if anyone has ever gotten to the port early, dropped their bags off, and walked down to the convention center or canal st to catch the end of any of the Mardi Gras parades that pass...

We are returning from our cruise on March 3. Fortunately we booked the hotel months ago but I have noticed they are now sold out. I have not been able to find out what is going on March 3-7. Nothing I see looks like it would sell out all the hotels. Anyone have any idea?:eek:

I don't know why but my guess is for a convention or a basketball event.

I don't know why but my guess is for a convention or a basketball event.

that would be my guess as well, their appears to be the HiMMS convention (4-7) where former President Clinton will be speaking on the 6th, and a "world of wheels" convention at the Superdome beginning on the 1st and ending on the 3rd.

Archived