Odd "Preserve Pre-Exist Cond Waiver" Question

Mrs. Squirrel

I am cruising on the NCL Sun at the end of February. I purchased TravelGuard Gold within 10 days of booking my cruise. We need pre-existing medical conditions waiver due to elderly parents. I have carefully followed all directions and promptly added any pre-paid, non-refundable expenses as soon as they have occured.

I have an excursion situation that I don't know how to handle to make sure we preserve the pre-existing condition waiver. We are booked on a snorkel excursion in St. Thomas. It is held with a credit card, but not charged to the card until the excursion takes place. In fact, you can pay any way you choose on the day of the excursion. However, the cancellation policy is 50% of the total excursion price if you don't cancel before 2 weeks ahead of time and 100% of the total excursion price if you don't cancel before 2 days ahead of time. There is no penalty if the ship doesn't make port. The excursion is on the 9th day of our cruise.

How do I insure this excursion since there is a possibility of part or all of the excursion being non-refundable? Or do I not have to insure it, because there is never anything pre-paid? I am sure I am over thinking this, but it is an 11 day cruise and I don't want to mess this up. I could care less to be out just the cost of the excursion, but if improperly insuring this causes a problem with the entire claim should we have to cancel, that would be very costly. Questioning TravelGuard directly gets you the following policy wording quoted back to you either in e-mail or on the phone. They will not tell me what to do.

Here is the wording on my policy.

PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to a maximum of the first $30,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 15 days of making the Initial Trip Payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid, nonrefundable payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase, and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same Trip are insured within 15 days of the date of payment or deposit for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid.

Archived