Funky 411 I learned about Travel Insurance today...

Lydia B.

Folks,

Well today was enlightening and a bit frustrating as to the field of travel insurance, whew is it tough to try and compare apples to apples, get a good price and figure/understand all the coverages.

Now some of you experienced travelers might have already know some of the info below so please just disregard this message, no flaming please, I am just trying to help others.

1. I found that at least on the company I am going to use again, that you do NOT have to purchase all of your coverage at once.

Most of the time we have fully purchased entire coverage (cruise airline estimate, etc., because we want the pre exisitng clause and in order to get it you have to purchase your policy somewhere between 2-3 weeks after booking your cruise).

In this case the only thing we have actually paid for was the reduced deposit of $125, so I purchased only coverage on that. Then when we book air, I will add more (insurance folks told me each new chunk of insurance must be purchased within the new 2-3 week grace period in order to maintain your preexisting coverage clause), then final payment on the cruise and we will purchase the ramaining insurance (all of this under the same policy) Underwriter tells me no matter if you buy all at once or piece meal will be same premium amount. They even said, they really don't want the customer to have more insurance than they need. So in this example, if we bought the air in 6 months, increased and purchased more insurance and then had a major health situation between then and the final payment of the cruise, we would have only paid for the insurance covering the airfare and would be covered for that...hope I am not making this too confusing.

2. I must admit sometimes if my cruise is say $1052 I would buy $1,000 in coverage, found out today, if there is a claim it voids out the preexisitng clause if you underbought, good grief. That you have to cover ALL monies that are non refundable. EVEN for example the $5.00 fee you would pay SW Arilines when using points for a free flight!

3. Found that if you and your travel companion are from different states, have to have their own policies, can't put both on the same policy. We have done this incorrently for a number of years, the underwriter I am using never asked and I foolishly never brought it up. We are now having to review/change our current policy for next months cruise, again good grief wish me luck.

4. On a higher note...keep in mind that IF you ever loose posessions, e.g. clothes you might be able to get reimbursed from your travel policy. I pulled a boner and left two entire short outfits in the drawers and insurance did cover it. BUT REMEMBER, you have to notify your insurance carrier by the end of your cruise. So if you policy says you are insured until Sunday night the 6th, check out your luggage tonight. IF you call them tomorrow you coverage is over.

Ok, hope I was rambling, just wanted to share some insight that mighyhlep. For those of you that are anxiously waiting for PBS Downton Abby tonight, get those DVR's fired up! Lydia of Ohio

and all those crazy little loopholes is why i don't bother purchasing insurance. it's not worth the headache.

i don't always unpack the night i arrive home. therefore missing or stolen items would not be noticed until the next day.

i suppose i figured anything important enough to cause me to miss my cruise was way more important than any amount of $'s i may have spent on it.

i understand that some people feel the need for it. as for now, our life insurance coverage provides medical evac etc as long as we are traveling over 100 miles from home. that's the only coverage i really see needed for us.

4. On a higher note...keep in mind that IF you ever loose posessions, e.g. clothes you might be able to get reimbursed from your travel policy. I pulled a boner and left two entire short outfits in the drawers and insurance did cover it. BUT REMEMBER, you have to notify your insurance carrier by the end of your cruise. So if you policy says you are insured until Sunday night the 6th, check out your luggage tonight. IF you call them tomorrow you coverage is over.

Incorrect. The loss itself must occur within the coverage dates of the policy and it's not a bad idea to report the loss immediately (to get info from the insurer as to what documentation you will need right then to document the loss) but no insurer I'm familiar with has this "rule".

2. I must admit sometimes if my cruise is say $1052 I would buy $1,000 in coverage, found out today, if there is a claim it voids out the preexisitng clause if you underbought, good grief. That you have to cover ALL monies that are non refundable. EVEN for example the $5.00 fee you would pay SW Arilines when using points for a free flight!

This is true only for some plans. Many insurers allow you to insure as little or as much of your trip cost as you'd like and still get the pre-ex coverage. But it is a mistake that many make because they do not read and understand the wording of the plan they're purchasing.

Archived