St Kitts train.

We have been told that it is worth doing, although best to do through Thomsons, so that means it is expensive. It is the only one that we will do with Thomsons so its a one off. I see you are going in Feb too, so I can,t let you know whether it is value for money :)

We have been told that it is worth doing, although best to do through Thomsons, so that means it is expensive. It is the only one that we will do with Thomsons so its a one off. I see you are going in Feb too, so I can,t let you know whether it is value for money :)

Yes it is expensive - but something different. I mentioned in a previous post that a couple on our ship when we went a few years ago adopted a DiY approach to this excursion.

The couple actually paid more than the Thomson excursion price to get a taxi from Castries to where the train leaves and return plus the cost of the train ticket. This is only hear-say but is one of the few trips where it appears it's actually more economical to go with the ship.

The train is very linked up with the cruise companies - and the day we are there are 7,700 passengers in Castries so presumably quite some demand from cruise passengers so who knows whether it would be possible to get on the train. (Don't know when you are in port but you can check passenger numbers by doing a little research from this site http://www.cruisetimetables.com/ )

Hi, we are going on our first cruise in February and my husband is keen to do the st kitts train, it is quite expensive, is it worth it.

I've been on it twice and I would say it's very worth it. A great way to see parts of the island you wouldn't see otherwise, and it's only a half-day trip. You can sit upstairs in the open air under a canopy, or downstairs in the air con.

The rum drinks are good and there are non-alcoholic drinks available as well. A fun, friendly atmosphere. I would definitely do it again.

We did this tour in 2009 on an Island cruise. Book in advance as this excursion can get oversubscribed. As has already been mentioned demand can be very high depending what other cruise ships are in port.

As for the times they were varied throughout the day. Island messed up the logistics and caused chaos.

Really enjoyed this excursion. One of the few we pre-booked.

Len

Archived