Transfer vs cab/Houston to Crown in Galveston

grammy c

We usually do a cab, but this time have no clue the distance from the airport to the pier in Galveston. Anyone know? We are on a early nonstop flight, so would prefer not to have to wait a long time for the bus to fill up. Also wonder the cab fare if anyone has done this. The trans. is $48pp so I've read, and would be alright with that, unless a cab would be about the same. Thanks

We usually do a cab, but this time have no clue the distance from the airport to the pier in Galveston. Anyone know? We are on a early nonstop flight, so would prefer not to have to wait a long time for the bus to fill up. Also wonder the cab fare if anyone has done this. The trans. is $48pp so I've read, and would be alright with that, unless a cab would be about the same. Thanks

Which Airport - Hobby or Intercontinental? Hobby is closer but Intercontinental is a long way, good 1-1/2 hour by car - Hobby is closer would take about 45min I would think a cab would cost $$$ - you can google some options

There are quite a few active threads on the Gulf Coast Departures forum. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

While we have sailed aboard Princess out of Galvaston in the past, many of our personal experiences are out of date due to the changes caused Hurricane Ike in 2008. Back then it was easy to rent a car from Enterprise, drop it near the port and have it waiting when you returned.

In the past, there was often problems with Princess transfers from Bush & Hobby to the port facilities in Galvaston. Most complaints were centered on the habit they had to wait until a bus was completely full before it left the port/airport.

Enjoy!

Just got back on the 10th. I would take a cab if it is to Hobby. It cost us $120. We had a car reserved through Zlimo but (long story), they were late and ended up with a cab so we could make our flight. It isn't worth the few dollars you save waiting around for a car or shuttle.

Ship Transfers are reliable and available

only on day of ship departure and arrival back.

Use a reliable professional

limo or shuttle service on day of travel, or

if coming in days early or staying over.

As far as car rental call enterprise and discuss.

Or drive in with own car.

Hi, just returned Jan 12 on the Crown - I had read about fog in port sometimes so we booked the Princess transfer with a tour attached. It was $59 each and if we had booked with Galveston Limo (which picked us up at IAH for $55 each) then I was not sure how the fog would be handled if there was any - wanted to be safe - our flight was leaving at 6:14pm.

Well, announcement around 7am that we were anchored in the bay and pilots couldn't come on board due to fog. We still felt that with our late flight we were safe. Pilots didn't come on board til around 2:00 and although we were in the 3rd group departing the ship we didn't get off until 4:30 - bus transfer was very quick - they scrapped the tour part - but we got to the airport at 6:15 so missed our direct flight to Vancouver BC. United was great - booked us for the next morning 7:30am flight to LAX then 5 hrs wait til 3 hr flight to Vancouver. We stayed the night at an airport hotel with a shuttle.

I am very tired but it all turned out ok. I think that after this experience I will either not cruise from Galveston again(most likely) or if I did then I would book a hotel for the day after the cruise ends and use Galveston Limo both ways.

Galveston is very pretty but it is about 1.5 hrs from Houston International airport.

Archived