Formal Night Question

themutis

The formal nights have the best menus in the dining room and it is a shame to miss them. On formal nights it is not unusual to find nearly every entree and several appetizers are favorites. It is always a tough decision that night - even if your waiter is kind enough to bring you two.

How would they get it? The same way other restaurants get it.... Frozen.

Well, yes, the rock lobster tails are shipped frozen. I believe that pretty much all the seafood on the ships is at one point frozen.

But is it Maine lobster? Rock lobsters are available to ship frozen from Florida, Australia and easy to get in Mediterranean ports. I'm positive that the lobster served on my Mediterranean cruise this past summer on the Solstice was NOT a Maine lobster tail.

Well, yes, the rock lobster tails are shipped frozen. I believe that pretty much all the seafood on the ships is at one point frozen.

But is it Maine lobster? Rock lobsters are available to ship frozen from Florida, Australia and easy to get in Mediterranean ports. I'm positive that the lobster served on my Mediterranean cruise this past summer on the Solstice was NOT a Maine lobster tail.

The lobster served on the ship is generally warm water lobster and not cold water Maine lobster. The only exception I've heard of were certain cruises in the US Northeast this past year where they were able to bring on Maine lobster given their location and low price of lobster this year - but that was an unusual situation and not what one can normally expect.

Yes, although it does drive the clothes police on these boards wild!;)

You also have to distinguish between those who actually contribute something to a thread by answering the questions as opposed to those who don't contribute and just want to stir the pot.

The lobster served on the ship is generally warm water lobster and not cold water Maine lobster. The only exception I've heard of were certain cruises in the US Northeast this past year where they were able to bring on Maine lobster given their location and low price of lobster this year - but that was an unusual situation and not what one can normally expect.

Actually, with the wholesale price of Lobster under $2 last summer, there was a request from our Congressmen Chellie Pingree to 10 cruise lines to buy Maine Lobster when their cruises ships stop in Maine. Covered on the news here:

Seems like Celebrity bought 3800 lbs !

:D

Archived