Norse Legends vs. Viking Sagas: Suggestions?

detroit70

We want to do a Northern Europe cruise next June, and I think we've narrowed it down to two 7 day possibilities, both on the Ryndam: the Norse Legends or the Viking Sagas. Although DH once attended a conference in Bergen and loved it, other than that we are not at all familiar with Norway.

The Norse Legends visits Bergen, Alesund, Flam, and Eidfjord, with scenic cruising at Sognefjord and Hardangerfjord.

The Viking Sagas visits Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavenger, and Ulvik, with scenic cruising at Oslo Fjord, Lysefjord, and Hardangerfjord.

On previous cruises to Alaska, we have thoroughly enjoyed the days in Tracey Arm Fjord and the Glacier Bay, so we're very interested in the scenic cruising days on both.

We'd very much appreciate hearing from any of you with thoughts and recommendations about these two possibilities. Thanks so much!

I haven't sailed on either of these itineraries on HAL but know Norway very well. If you have never been to Norway I would probably recommend the "Norse Legends" itinerary. It visits all the "must see" locations in Norway's spectacular fjordland region and will allow you an in-depth view of that region, which has some really breathtaking panoramas. Specifically Bergen and Flam are must-sees, it's what I like to call "Norway in a nutshell".

The "Viking Sagas" itinerary will give you more of an idea about the diversity of Norway as a country. The region around the Oslofjord has some beautiful scenery as well, however it isn't as stunning as the Norwegian fjords can be. Oslo being the capital, it offers some unique attractions in its own right, for example the Viking ship's museum and the spectacular modern opera house. Also, a walk up the "Karl Johan", the main shopping street, leading to the King's palace, is a definite sightseeing highlight.

Ideal would be to do both itineraries, but if you have to decide my vote would go to the "Norse Legends".

Hope this helps at all

Anna

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough, we were in a similar sitation. Last year we did the Alaska trip on the Volendam and really enjoyed the scenic cruising.

We'd been looking at the Norwegian cruises for a while and after the prices came down last week, we finally put down a deposit. We had the same choices of Saga vs Legends (as we really enjoyed our HAL trip last year and wanted to see if it repeated). My only experience of Norway was a stop in Harstad up north near Narvik (whilst in the military), which cruise ships don't tend to go to (there's nothing really there!).

We ended up deciding on the Norse Legends at the start of May and it seems to have worked out. We were very jealous of some friends we made who went on the train ride in Skagway and in Flam there is a similar trip. Plus we looked on the map and it seemed that the scenery might be better on the Norse Legends. But really I think both sets of itinaries are good, just the Norse Legends goes slightly further north than the Viking Sagas and goes to Bergen instead of Oslo.

One further thing to note when I asked the same question last year, someone pointed out that HAL are probably exaggerating Oslo Fjord a bit as it is in fact just the entrance to Oslo harbour apparently.

Thanks so much for your very helpful response, Anna32! We were immediately persuaded to take your advice and decided on the Norse Legends, but it's taken us this long to figure out when we would cruise. We've now decided on the late June trip from Rotterdam and on the Rotterdam. We've never been to Amsterdam and it looks like the transfer from the airport to the ship will be relatively easy and inexpensive, in comparison to the transfer from Heathrow to Dover. Additionally, we're hoping it might be a little warmer a month later although we realize we'll have even longer daylight.

And BrianC-80, I hope you'll post about your cruise when you get home and share any tips you have for us. Based on what you wrote this morning, we're definitely looking into the Flam suggestion!

Thanks!

It's simply called the Flam Railway, and is the third most popular tourist attraction in Norway apparently. It takes in a rather large waterfall, which is also very popular. Tickets for the railway can be purchased directly from the website, although HAL also do an excursion.

We've also been looking at "Fjord Safaris" in Flam and starting to look at excursions from Alesund to a rather large waterfall whose name escapes me but is somewhere in the region of three times the height of Niagara Falls (albeit much, much narrower!).

I'll be sure to post a report once we get back.

Archived