Caribbean Princess 6/4-11/05 Journal

pamwinn

Although I thought that I was following this WONDERFUL saga to the letter - I missed something - why the "Captain's lunch" -does it have something to do with an upper level of Captain's Circle memebership?

Still LOVING your journal,

Ted

I was really getting worried. We'll be hopping on tommorrow and are so glad things are still on schedule. I bought an extra big bottle of motion sickness pills as I suspect we may have a rough cruise this coming week. I've enjoyed reading your posts.

I promise to answer everyone’s questions after we disembark. We plan to spend 2 days in FLL post-cruise and I will have more time (unfortunately).

Rex has gone downstairs to get the few photos we posed for. I am watching the sea of course. It is rough, but not enough to make people sick as far as I can tell. I am hearing a little thunder but the sky does not look ominous to me and I love the waves. When they break, a white mist rises from them. There is still no rain.

Right now it is very crowded around the Atrium because it is not all that pleasant on the upper decks. People are getting their statements from Passenger Services, buying photo’s, attending what I think is the final art auction, and the final round of bingo. Perhaps we should have attended that as the prize for the first round is 2,500 bucks and the second round will net some lucky soul a free cruise. But it will be awhile before I stand on a ship’s balcony and I intend to savour every last second.

When Rex returns, I suppose we will start packing. 8^( God, I just noticed my moustache is already growing back and I still have 2 red dots. Why do I have to be allergic to Nair?

Everytime I look at the clock it is an hour later. I’d stop looking if I thought it would stop time.

It is now 5:40 PM and we finally entered into what I am guessing is the tail of the storm, who knows. I wish we could photograph it but you can’t face forward. The mist immediately covers the camera lens. According to the ship information channel we are almost due north of Havana and the sea is still classified as rough with 7.5 to 12 foot waves.

The bridge cam shows 2 lonely guys tying down all the deck chairs. It really is not bad. It’s exciting and interesting to Rex and I.

6:40 PM We are completely packed except for the stuff we are carrying off. We have late debarkation but I am not sure if we will still have internet access in the AM. I’ll try to use up the rest of my minutes this evening.

We are now rocking and rolling. I can guarantee that no one is up on the decks tonight. Dammit, I missed my last piece of pizza. I can’t imagine making the pizza chefs stay out in this. We are in fog horn mode now.

We are 90% packed and plan to play until we drop tonight. We’ve been by Crooners. Get your drinks here folks. It’s by far the best bar on the ship. We had dinner. This is the first cruise we’ve ever been on that we did not dine in the dining room or one of the alternative venues. I like the Café Caribe a lot. You have total control over how much time your meals take.

As for the crowds on the ship, I like it. It’s more crowded than any other ship we’ve sailed on but not in anyway that takes away from the cruise experience. There is always a place to go to escape the crowds if that is what you prefer.

More later. Until then, rock and roll……………..

Thank you Pam for all your interesting insights! It sounds like you had a blast. Can you stay for this week also??? I hope you and Rex enjoy your post-cruise stay in Ft Lauderdale. There are some nice spots on the ocean to sit and enjoy the scenery. :) Look around Las Olas Blvd. and A1A. Good night. Looking forward to my fun week! Kim aka kulekhatt ;)

06/11/5 Time Flies When You’re Having Fun

We enjoyed rocking the night away. When you go to bed, the notion of the ship gives you a nice massage. I awoke this morning very early. In time to see the ship pass Key West. We arrived in FLL around 5:30 or so. We have our final feast before finishing up in our cabin and the going to the Club Fusion to wait for Aqua 6 to be called.

The upper decks are soaked. I hope the new passengers are able to overlook the very rainy day they are going to have. It’s the first day of their cruise so I’m guessing it won’t cause anyone much grief.

The typical long faces are all over the ship. While I hope I never again have to limit my cruise to 7 days, I am happy, ready and willing to get off the ship and hand it over to someone else. We had a great cruise and got the stormy weather we were hoping for and no one is any worse for the wear. Seven days just pass by so quickly.

We still look forward to our two days in Fort Lauderdale and then our return home. When we get home….we’re on vacation so what is there to complain about?

Here is the deal about embarkation. Our color was called at around 11:00 AM. We were then led to the immigration line. It looked like a nightmare, but was very rapid. Then you enter the luggage room. People were very frantic in there. I do not understand how you can come off a cruise so frantic. So when you get in there, just relax and go with the flow. Don’t let the frantic people effect your mood. Somehow, all our luggage was separated and I had to hunt it down. It was not a big deal. We found the first piece, then I had Rex stand there with all the stuff (Stolies) we lugged off the ship and I hunted down the others and brought them to where he was standing. This next part is important. It is worth the few bucks to get a porter. They are working with the cab drivers and apparently immigration. So once all our stuff was together, Rex found a porter. He led us through the short immigration line for people with porters while everyone was in a long crowded line schlepping a ton of luggage along.

Once through immigration, he led us to customs, which was a walk-by, we didn’t even pause, just handed the agent the form and kept walking. The porter then led us straight to a cab while a hoard of people without porters were pressed in against each other waiting their turns for cabs the porters didn’t need. We were in the cab at 11:10. I couldn’t believe how fast all that sequence of events occurred.

The Renaissance affords a perfect view of the ship. We are in 1210. The best room to stay in would be 1202. I was able to get in there and take a look as they are cleaning the carpets. Any room number ending in 02 is going to be a corner room, which means it, has an extra wall of windows. If you want the perfect room go for that one. This hotel has 12 floors so get as high as you can, make sure you have an even room number, and the closer to 02 the better. Our view is quite fantastic also but I am not sure how good it would be in 1230.

We are making our phone calls and then we are off to see where the day will take us. The weather is very warm and the sky is overcast but I can see the people on the ship are out and about having a good time.

We took a trip down memory lane today. Rex lived in Fort Lauderdale approximately 30 years ago. There was a small dive restaurant in Lauderdale by the beach that his memory said had fried chicken like no other. They used pressure fryers. The restaurant was still there. He said he didn’t think it had been painted. It was still named Keese. The menu had changed somewhat. Along with the fried chicken, is a variety of seafood and a huge Middle Eastern menu featuring such delicacies as falafel, dolmas, assorted kebobs, tabouleh, etc. We tried the chicken…not the same.

We did a little more strolling then headed out for Sawgrass Mills Mall. I think Elvis must have been there because the place was packed. I can’t even guess how many people were there…fifty thousand. The parking lot was completely full, all around. It was unbelievable. Without going in we drove back to the hotel and watched the Caribbean Princess sail away without us.

We were on the Caribbean Princess last Sept. and were kept out to sea two extra days because of Hurricane Jeanne. We ate in the Caribe Cafe most of the time, even had the first formal night in there-informally. I think Trevor wore the same shirt he'd worn before, too. Anyway, it was a lovely time, with one to one service from Dennis, a good bottle of wine and a wonderful sunset. We had an aft balcony on the Zuiderdam, which I really enjoyed. I had a "special memory" out there all by myself with my Mp.3 player,and a crossword puzzle book. While filling in the squares a favorite song came on and there I was dancing on my balcony in the middle of the Caribbean Sea, with the sun shining down upon me, water as smooth as glass (but I wasn't a "glass person".) We will have a balcony on the Star in Oct. The only other one we had was on the Golden in 2001. Thanks for your posts. Did you get to witness the CB going into Port Everglades from the deck just above the bridge? I never miss that part. Lynne

PS. My husband's mother and other family members live in Ft. Lauderdale. I love it down there and we sneak down every so often for a get-away. One of his favorite restaurants is the Southport Raw Bar on Cordova. We usually stayed in a little 1950's style motel called the Nina Lee-across the street from and on the back street (Harbor/Holiday Dr) from the Yankee Clipper. His family had been going there for over 50 years. I say "stayed" in the past tense, because we found out that it has been sold within the "comglomerate" when we tried to make reservations for the July 4 weekend. Now we have to look for another little place. After searching out another inexpensive motel, we are using Plan B--staying at my sister-in-law's! The motel was owned by the Sheraton Co. We always go down by the Best Western Marina Hotel to see "our" ship in port. We saw the CB come in at 5:15AM a year ago-May 8. Just saw the Star the day she started her Baltic Cruise.Welcome home. I know how you feel. I always hate that last day, and stay up late into the night out on deck, or up in the cabin in anticipation of being up to see the ship go into port. It goes from complete silence to the "chatter" of an awakening city-helicopters, power plant, vehicles. The lights are all still on as the ship eases her way up through the harbor from the silent ocean, past the white apts. I know my cruise is over when we finally dock. I know you must be a terrific teacher, Pam. I hope your red dots are going away!! Lynne

Pamwinn- Thanks so much for sharing your cruise with us. It was a very imaginative and enjoyable preview of our upcoming cruise, and I look forward to seeing the "picture" which you have presented for us (minus our Eastern itinerary, of course). Hope you don't mind that your journal is now part of our precruise package and required reading for our family cruise in August. :)

What a read!!! Thanks for the very enjoyable and informative journal. We sail on CB 6 Aug; your comments and advise will be remembered throughout that journey I'm sure. Took us forever to read through this - difficult to read while you're laughing your tush off!!! Thanks again!

Hate to see your trip end, Pam. :( I feel like I have shared every moment with you and Rex. Will be onboard CB in October and will not be able to walk the deck without remembering your words. Hopefully you will be cruising again soon!

Thanks so much!:D

Deena

I have a silly question. I love the count down clocks that I am seeing and want to put one on my signature. I have been to tickerfactory.com, but they only the have the rulers, and only count the months and days down. Where can I get the ones like I am seeing on this thread?

And thanks for the play by play Pam. We enjoyed it. We are on the CP in mid-July, and your daily diary is raising our anticipation!

Take care,Pam. We can all see a little bit of ourselves in your review, starting with the packing stage. I could relate to that, big time. Thanks again for sharing your adventure with us! Lynne

What a great story/review. I am considering Princess for my next cruise and this review may have just locked it up for me! :D The food sounds great and I have read many good things about Cafe Caribe..I cannot imagine all that seafood!!!

I used to keep a journal for most of my years and may start up again when I go on my next cruise. thanks again

We just arrived back at the farm a few hours ago. I still have some pictures to organize on my computer but here is Mr Fauker, not the xrated reflection, this is the silhouette shadow. Also, a picture of E730. I promise to go through and answer questions tomorrow. We are so tired we are about to drop....and what's with this cooking your own dinner...what a shock to the system.

Thanks to all for your very kind words. I am deeply humbled by your comments. I am so happy you enjoyed the cruise journal. The epilogue is forthcoming.

E730.jpg.a2314ddb9474d677e33663fb3b2d0329.jpg

MrFauker.jpg.266ad3c756f2e66c1590600496841d1d.jpg

Hi Pamwinn, I have enjoyed your journal and looked for it everyday. I printed most of it and gave it to the other couple traveling with us. I was wondering if you could answer a few questions? We will be on C402 and C406. I hope they are 1/2 covered and 1/2 open like they say. My husband can't really sit in the sun. Can we get pitchers of water in the room. We know there is bottled water, but we would prefer water and ice a couple of times a day. Since this is our first Princess cruise, we hope it will match the wonderful cruises that we have had on Celebrity. Thanks again for the journals, hope you can answer some of my questions.

"I was wondering if you could answer a few questions? We will be on C402 and C406. I hope they are 1/2 covered and 1/2 open like they say. My husband can't really sit in the sun."

We loved our Caribe deck and yes it is 1/2 and 1/2. You can enjoy the sun (if available at that time of day) or the shade. They are really large. Those above you can see you if you are sitting out (and watch out at port when people above feed the gulls) but who cares! Enjoy the cruise. We had ice all day long and the water was fine out of the bathroom sink, so I can't see an issue there either.

Archived