Local Miami knowledge please?

judeg

We have a few hours to spare before our flight home post cruise, and have a day room at the Sheraton Miami Airport - could stay there all day but haven't been to Miami before so having narrowed down the options should we take the free shuttle to Coconut Grove, or a taxi to South Beach and walk the Art Deco/ocean Drive area?

Any help on what Coconut Grove is like and how walkable South Beach is, or is it totally overhyped, would be much appreciated!

Taxi from MIA area hotels to SB will cost you $35+ each way! :eek: Better yet take the airport flyer bus from MIA to Southbeach for $2.35 each - very walkable and great dining, architechture, people watching, etc. http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf

Good luck! :)

During the week, that could be a hectic situation. Traveling from POM to MIA back to South Beach/Grove and back to MIA . . . I hope your flight is leaving in the evening because that is a lot of traffic to go thru. I'd also caution if it is too hot during your visit, the humidity could make your walk uncomfortable.

Since you have never been, it is nice to walk through the Art Deco/Ocean or maybe have lunch at a cafe on South Beach. I usually do the Grove at night and I enjoy it, not so sure about the day though.

Judeg,

How did you book your day room at the Sheraton hotel, please. Cannot find this on their web site and as we live in the UK do not want to ring them.

Has anyone got their reservations web address, or can someone from Miami find this for me and post this.

Thanks

Judeg,

How did you book your day room at the Sheraton hotel, please. Cannot find this on their web site and as we live in the UK do not want to ring them.

Has anyone got their reservations web address, or can someone from Miami find this for me and post this.

Thanks

We've just found out that the day room is included with our cruise with Celebrity, although they didn't mention it when we booked, strangely. Got to say we're really chuffed as we have experienced long days at airports before!!

Can only suggest you email them with a request, under the 'contact us' heading on the website? good luck:)

During the week, that could be a hectic situation. Traveling from POM to MIA back to South Beach/Grove and back to MIA . . . I hope your flight is leaving in the evening because that is a lot of traffic to go thru. I'd also caution if it is too hot during your visit, the humidity could make your walk uncomfortable.

Since you have never been, it is nice to walk through the Art Deco/Ocean or maybe have lunch at a cafe on South Beach. I usually do the Grove at night and I enjoy it, not so sure about the day though.

Thanks for that, we're there at the end of February so presuming the weather won't be too hot for walking around? Our cruise ship docks in Fort Lauderdale and we're being transferred to the hotel from there- our flight isn't until 9 o'clock in the evening so we have plenty of time to do something- or nothing!! What exactly is there to do at Coconut Grove?

What exactly is there to do at Coconut Grove?

Lots of bars and restaurants -- it is a fun area but will not get hopping until after you check in for your flight. Spending your day at SB an maybe some pool time at your hotel sounds better to me. :)

Taxi from MIA area hotels to SB will cost you $35+ each way! :eek: Better yet take the airport flyer bus from MIA to Southbeach for $2.35 each - very walkable and great dining, architechture, people watching, etc. http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/airport_flyer_brochure.pdf

Good luck! :)

Thanks again JohninDC, we did talk on a previous thread, before we knew we had a free day room at the Sheraton- South Beach is still looking favourite as it is an iconic place, and depending on how early we get to the hotel we shall have to weigh up the taxi fare v the flyer;)

Lots of bars and restaurants -- it is a fun area but will not get hopping until after you check in for your flight. Spending your day at SB an maybe some pool time at your hotel sounds better to me. :)

Oh think our posts crossed there JohninDC, how spooky!!! Thanks for the extra bit about Coconut Grove, think you've definitely made up our minds for us!!

Archived