Customs & Immigration

Billymac

We are on the Sun in February for 11 days. Our last port of call before returning to Miami is St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. I noticed on the dailies that were posted that we must clear customs & immigration in St. Thomas. Does anyone know if we have to repeat this again in Miami at the end of the cruise?

We are on the Sun in February for 11 days. Our last port of call before returning to Miami is St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. I noticed on the dailies that were posted that we must clear customs & immigration in St. Thomas. Does anyone know if we have to repeat this again in Miami at the end of the cruise?

When we did this on the Star, it was immigration control only in St. Thomas. US citizens had to bring passports to the designated area on the ship and we got a slip of paper indicating that we went through the procedure which allowed us to get off the ship in S.T. We still had to go through customs on our return (in our case New York) to claim anything we were bringing back - since those could have been purchased in or after leaving S.T. and that is where we handed in the completed custom form.

Citizens from other countries went to a different location so I am not sure of what occured there for the immigration proceedures.

Citizens from other countries went to a different location so I am not sure of what occured there for the immigration proceedures.

They are usually put into the rack or waterboarded until Customs Officials are convinced they are frendlies.

Our stop in St. Thomas about a year ago, we didn't do anything different. Ship was cleared and we just walked off like any other port.

That would be the case if St Thomas was the first stop after leaving a US port (Miami NYC etc). When it is the first US port after a foreign port you have to clear immigration onboard.

Our stop in St. Thomas about a year ago, we didn't do anything different. Ship was cleared and we just walked off like any other port.

Same for me 3 times.

Never heard or noticed any special customs requirements.

Walked off in St Thomas

Miami was regular customs port

That would be the case if St Thomas was the first stop after leaving a US port (Miami NYC etc). When it is the first US port after a foreign port you have to clear immigration onboard.

Nope

all 3 tiimes was off Epic....First port St maarten, second St Thomas....3rd Nassau...

No special deal in St thomas,

just walked off as usual

Nope

all 3 tiimes was off Epic....First port St maarten, second St Thomas....3rd Nassau...

No special deal in St thomas,

just walked off as usual

I believe this is only done if you go to what is considered a "Far" port. For our cruise it was a repo so we went to Aruba before St Thomas so had to go through this process. For others, i.e. St, Maarten etc.. those are still considered near ports so do not require this step.

You forgot about the 5-round keelhauling that we've always been put through... :D :D :D

They are usually put into the rack or waterboarded until Customs Officials are convinced they are frendlies.

Ah... so that explains all of the noise we heard ;). LOL thanks for the giggle, I needed that this afternoon.

On our cruise on the Sun , Oct. /2011, didn't even notice if there were any customs to clear in St. Thomas, we just got off and had a blast. As for disembarking, we did this in Port Canaveral and all non U.S. citizens has to be in the Stardust Lounge by 6:30 am. If anyone thinks they can show up anytime, they will have a room full of very upset pax. It's mandatory and they ( Customs and Immigration) will not start until everyone shows up. I know , it happened to us. Somebody was over 45 mins. late so we had to wait, but once it got going, most folks were out of there in about 30 min.

Didn't take much time at all, not a big deal. Not sure about Miami, but I'll take a guess and say expect the same.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Archived