Credit Card Question(s) for setting up Account

crazyboys

We have three cabins one for us, one for our Son and family and one for our Daughter and family. (Cruise is our treat and is paid in full along with gratutity). I am trying to avoid the CC "hold" being acessed on their credit card so they can have full access to their credit line on their CC. I plan on using my credit card to check them in online with a credit card that is "extra" and not my main one that I use. Our kids insist on paying their own purchases on their sail and sign accounts. My question is this, can we check them in online using my "extra" credit card and then they can go to the guest services on the last night and settle their account using their own CC thus avoiding a "hold" on their CC? Or will Carnival just put a hold on their CC once they pay the bill on the last night making this whole scheme for naught? I hope this makes sense.

We have three cabins one for us, one for our Son and family and one for our Daughter and family. (Cruise is our treat and is paid in full along with gratutity). I am trying to avoid the CC "hold" being acessed on their credit card so they can have full access to their credit line on their CC. I plan on using my credit card to check them in online with a credit card that is "extra" and not my main one that I use. Our kids insist on paying their own purchases on their sail and sign accounts. My question is this, can we check them in online using my "extra" credit card and then they can go to the guest services on the last night and settle their account using their own CC thus avoiding a "hold" on their CC? Or will Carnival just put a hold on their CC once they pay the bill on the last night making this whole scheme for naught? I hope this makes sense.

I believe they can go the last night and settle with a different card. A "hold" will be placed for the amount charged. As long as they do it the last day, I dont think an additional hold will be placed but calling the front desk once you get on board can settle it for sure. That being said, the front desk is pure HELL the last day of the cruise, and I would do anything to avoid it. In past trips we have covered the bill for multiple rooms on our card and then just had the other couples write us a check once we got home... That might work.

We just cruised over Xmas break with 4 kids - ages 11, 12, 15 & 16. I set up the accounts on my CC with a limit of $50 each. Gratuities were a seperate charge to the accounts & did not affect the spending limit. We did not do the soda card and most of thier money was spent in the candy store, smoothie drinks, coffee drinks, gift shop and arcade. The 3 older kids still had money available to spend at the end of the cruise, the youngest spent his by the last day in the arcade.

I believe they can go the last night and settle with a different card. A "hold" will be placed for the amount charged. As long as they do it the last day, I dont think an additional hold will be placed but calling the front desk once you get on board can settle it for sure. That being said, the front desk is pure HELL the last day of the cruise, and I would do anything to avoid it. In past trips we have covered the bill for multiple rooms on our card and then just had the other couples write us a check once we got home... That might work.

Thanks so much for the reply and suggestion. Much appreciated.

The last time we treated my son (18 at the time) and his friend to a cruise in their own cabin was in 2011. At that time Carnival put a hold on the credit card used at $50 per cabin (5 day cruise), then placed additional holds at every $200 threshold of the total on the combined cabin's S&S account. Amex held the holds against the credit limit only till the actual bill came through.

How much and how frequently holds are placed against the credit or debit card will depend on Carnival, based on how long the cruise is. How long the hold remains on the card will depend on the individual card's user agreement. We mistakenly once used a card that kept holds in pending for up to 14 days, even after Carnival sent a rescind hold request. So call not only Carnival but the card's issuing company for more details on the procedure.

Yes, you can do just as you planned.

We always set up our account with a credit card, then on the last night, we will apply extra cash we have on hand (if we have any left!) to the account, and then usually switch to our debit card for the balance.

Debit cards aren't great to use on the first day because of the holds, so that's why we wait until the last night to switch cards.

But yes, you could pay on your account the last night any way you want, by applying other credit cards, cash or a combination of both.

I cruised once with my sister and we just used my credit card. Since you can check your balance on the tv, and it breaks up the charges per S&S card, we could easily see what part of the balance was hers. The last night, she went & gave them her credit card & asked that her amount be placed on her card, witht the balance being charged to mine that was used in the beginning.

It was no problem!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, you can do just as you planned.

We always set up our account with a credit card, then on the last night, we will apply extra cash we have on hand (if we have any left!) to the account, and then usually switch to our debit card for the balance.

Debit cards aren't great to use on the first day because of the holds, so that's why we wait until the last night to switch cards.

But yes, you could pay on your account the last night any way you want, by applying other credit cards, cash or a combination of both.

I cruised once with my sister and we just used my credit card. Since you can check your balance on the tv, and it breaks up the charges per S&S card, we could easily see what part of the balance was hers. The last night, she went & gave them her credit card & asked that her amount be placed on her card, witht the balance being charged to mine that was used in the beginning.

It was no problem!

Brilliant! Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks very much.

i will use my credit card to set up the accounts, then during the cruise if we put any charges on our account i will stop by the kiosk and deposit money for what i have spent, or if daughter ( in other cabin) buys something at the gift shops, she will just swing by the kiosk and pay it off... by the end of the cruise i usually have a zero or small balance and just leave it on the credit card.....

you can use the credit card to set it up and change it to cash when checking in, then no holds

Archived