Our day in Ocho Rios

kathy7558

We had a wonderful day in Jamaica! It was way too short. My best friend, niece, and I were there last Friday on the Carnival Victory.

We had reserved a private tour through the suggestions on this board, and I can't say enough wonderful things about Trevor Hudlin! :D He was waiting for us at the pier - all we had to do was to ask one of the "Advisors" working at the pier to call him and he pulled right up for us.

We had prearranged to do the River Tubing, Dunns River Falls, and the Plantation tour; then lunch and shopping. Well, he fit it all into our short day!

First up was the tubing. Trevor took us to the drop off point, waited until we were in the water with the guide, and then left to meet us at the other end. The guide was fantastic! He got all three of us into inner tubes - nice big ones with bottoms in them so you wouldn't scrape your own "bottom" if you floated too shallow. The trip down the river was great - really relaxing, but really fun where the rapids were. About half-way, we got out of the tubes and were offered drinks - I tried a Red Stripe, the local beer. The guide showed us some of the local vegetations, we walked around a bit, and then got back in the water. The entire ride was great!

Next up, since we were now wet and it wasn't time for the Plantation tour, was Dunns River Falls. Again, Trevor dropped us off, got our tickets, and waited right there for us. We walked down to the beach where we got to see a wedding - turns out it was a couple from our ship! Beautiful beach! We climbed about half-way up the falls , but my legs started to give out on me - it's a lot harder than it looks! So, we chose to get out and walk the rest of the way up on the path. The Falls are beautiful and I could have spent more time on that beach. We weren't harrased here to buy things, but that could be because we didn't bring any money with us - it was left in Trevor's van, so we just smiled and said "no money" and kept walking.

After we changed to dry clothes, Trevor took us to the Plantation. We three were the only ones there for the morning tour, so we enjoyed personal attention. The tour was expensive - the price had actually gone up since I'd first contacted Trevor, but well worth it to see this wonderful place. Our guide was very well informed and we saw some magnificent views as the plantation is on top of a mountain! We were fed fresh coconut - after watching one of the men scale the palm tree bare footed and with no rope!

BTW, if you choose to take this tour, don't fall for the "Jamaican cherries" act - they're actually Scotch Bonnet peppers that he tried to get us to eat! I'm not sure if he would have actually let us bite into them or not, but I'm glad we recognized what they were! :D

After the tour, Trevor took us to the Jerk Center for some jerk chicken - quite good, but not exactly what I was expecting. The sauces they serve with it are good, but one is fire hot, so watch out! :D They really like hot food there.

We then had about 1 hour left for some shopping and wanted to see some local crafts - Warning, if you don't want to be asked to look and buy, don't go to the craft market in town. We found what we wanted and then got out - I'm not afraid to say "no" and walk away, but they are pushier here than in Mexico. I was not, however, at any point asked to buy drugs; and no one came after me or tried to physically get me in their booth. One woman did put a skirt on me while I was waiting for my neice to decide on a piece of jewelry. I just took it back off and handed it to her with a "no thanks."

All in all - a wonderful day and I would certainly go back to Jamaica. It's a beautiful country with friendly, if assertive, people. :D

BTW, Trevor's contact info is: Trevor Hudlin [trevorhudlin@hotmail.com]

Kendallison,

Trevor included all the entrance fees in his price to us. He paid them at each stop and then collected from us at the end of the day. Our total day cost $87 pp, which included $20 each for transportation. We tipped Trevor and the guides at each stop in addition to that. We also paid for lunch.

I think I remember that the tubing was $20, the Falls $15, and the plantation was $32.

Hope this helps.

Archived