Uniworld Imperial Capitals of Europe

laverendrye

We had to miss the Istanbul portion of the cruise due to work, and started this tour in Romania. I just wanted to say, it's a magnificent cruise. One of the best we've done in a long time. A real 'thinking person's cruise'. Enjoy!

We were on this cruise - same direction - this past Oct. I don't know if Uniworld uses the same hotel every cruise, but we were at the Crowne Plaza Old City Hotel. If you have any other questions about the cruise, I will attempt to answer them. We really enjoyed the trip.

laverendrye, since you are going to Istanbul in April, would you be willing to pick up a city map for me? I can send a SASE envelope to you for its return. We are going at the end of May.

I have a Rick Steves' tour book which contains maps, but I would like to have a map that I can carry while walking around.

Thanks,

Sharon

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
tarheel423,

I would be interested to hear what type of clothing you recommend we bring. We're doing the late Sept to early Oct cruise, so similar timing as yours.

I hate to use the same word everyone else does but - LAYERS. Maybe it would help it I told you what layers we took. I tend to be cold-natured, DH not so much. We both took light weight fleece vests and light weight fleece jackets (100 weight), and gortex-type rain jackets made for packing. I also took a cotton sweater and a nicer looking jacket for outdoor wear (again, not heavy). Various combinations of those worked for all types of weather. Our trip ended in Vienna. It appears you are going the opposite direction. We also stayed in Vienna an extra 3 nights. I guess I would suggest checking the weather for Vienna, Budapest, Istanbul, etc., on weather.com or another site and see what the trends are. Last year, it had been in the 100's in Bulgaria during the summer and some ships could not go all the way to Giurgiu (Romania) because of low water. This year has seen terrible flooding in some areas of Central Europe. BTW, DH chose to take a sports coat because he knew he could wear it on the dressier nights on the ship, in the evenings in Vienna, and to the optional concert in Vienna. Many men did not have sports coats. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Archived