Our day in Grand Cayman

kathy7558

We were in Georgetown last Thursday on the Carnival Victory. We had rexerved the 3-hour stingray and snorkel tour with Captain Bryan's.

Tendering in was no problem at all. We had a slight wait as the last tender had just left when we got down to the gangway, but the next one pulled up right away.

Since the meeting time for our tour was 10 a.m., and we got to the pier at around 7:30 local time (8:30 ship's time) we decided to look around. We made the requisite stop at the Hard Rock (both my DH and DS collect pins) and then we wandered for awhile. We found a craft market and went in as we were not interested in the Diamonds and Tanzanite and watches, etc. In the craft market, I found a beautiful pair of handcrafted black coral earrings. They were $30 and I gladly paid the price. (Later I saw a similar pair, but not nearly so well made, in another store for $50)

We took our time window shopping and working our way to Captain Bryan's - behind the Bakery. We still had time for tea and scones at the Bakery when we arrived. We checked in right at 10 and were loaded on a bus for the trip to the Catamaran. Javid was our pilot and guide for this trip - he was delightful.

I was a bit disappointed with the Stingray City stop as I'd been there before and had a wonderful time. This time, there were too many other boats and people there, so few stingrays near us. Also, we were not given any food for them as we were on my last trip there with Nativeway. We did, though, all get a chance to hold one and we saw quite a few rays.

After Stingray City, Javid took us to a barrier reef. This was the highlight of the tour!! :D The coral and fish were so close to the surface that at some points, I was afraid of injuring something just floating on the water! I could have spent all day there just looking at the reef and the colorful fish. But, we had to eventually get back on the cat. We then went to a place called Coral Gardens - here there was not as much coral as it wan't a reef, but still beautiful to see.

By the time we headed back, it was getting close to our last tender. So, Javid made sure that all of us on the Victory were in the same bus and he took us right to the pier instead of back to the Bakery. We got right on a tender and were back on the ship in no time! All in all a really lovely day!

That sounds great, Kathy! We will be going on June 13 on Inspiration, and only have from 7:30 am until 2pm. I really want to go on an excurson, but am feeling nervous about getting back in time! Capt. Bryan's replied to an email and said they'd have us back at 12 (1 ship time), so I guess we might try it! I was also considering Nativeway for their morning excursion. Which do you recommend? Which was less crowded? Thanks!

Sounds good Kathy, we went with Capt Bryan's a few weeks ago and had a great time. It was my first time snorkeling though, and I couldn't stop looking at the barrier reef during that stop. I decided to poke my head above water for a second and heard my friend telling me to come back. Seems they had whistled a few times and were about to come in and get me. Everyone else was back on the boat! Now I am hooked on snorkeling and stuck in Texas where the water is brown with about 2ft of visibility!

nursejewels - If Captain Bryan says you'll be back on time, you will. I was very pleased that Javid drove us right to the tender dock at the end.

As for the comparison with Nativeway, I'd say we had about the same number of people on each boat. My only concern with Nativeway was with our return trip. Although we had plenty of time to get back, they dropped us off in the middle of town several blocks from the pier because the traffic was bad that day! They said something about it being a holiday and everyone got out of work/school at noon or something. The driver just waved his hand in the general direction of the water and left us there. I don't think that's normal for them as I've read many wonderful reviews on this board, but that's why I chose to try a different operator this time.

DanTheMan - I understand completely!! I also didn't hear the whistle the first time because I'd gone so far from the boat. I don't have much chance to snorkel here in landlocked PA, either. :(

nursejewels, I had more fun on the catamaran and with the staff at Cap't Bryans. But, that might have been because we ended up sitting right by the steering wheel and struck up a conversation with Javid. I thought Javid and the other guide (sorry, can't remember his name) were much more friendly than the guides on Nativeway 2 years ago. Of course, Nativeway could have different guides now.

It is more exciting to see the sail up on the cat, than to be on a motorboat, but either will get you there and back. :)

Archived