Camp Carnival - any recent experience?

cruiseLMG

i would like to know this to. My ds will be 12 when we take our next cruise. They have changed the ages. He loved the 9-12 group last year but now that it is 12-14 they seem to spend alot of time at discos and hanging around on their own. They even eat on their own unsupervised. He is not into discos or girls yet. there is also no late night sitting for kids over 11 anymore. I am quite concerned about this. Last year they got to play on the computers and playstations late at night. If anyone has had kids this age let me know please what the schedule was like. I tried to look at the capers on webshots but could not read it clearly

thanks

rhecker

Got this from my PVP today:

Sample of daily activities on board a 7-day cruise Camp Carnival - Intermediate Cruiser: ages 9 - 12

DAY ONE - Embarkation Day

7:30 PM Camp Carnival orientation meeting

8:30 - 10:00 PM Open for registration and observation

10:00 - 3:00 AM Slumber party. Pre-arranged baby sitting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY TWO - Day at sea

10:00 - 10:30 AM Registration and ice breakers

10:30 - 11:00 AM "Who's Who" games

11:00 - 12:00 PM Follow the trail

12:00 - 2:00 PM Freeplay. Please pick up for lunch

2:00 - 2:30 PM Trivia games

2:30 - 3:00 PM Prize bingo

3:00 - 3:30 PM Chocolate game

5:00 - 6:00 PM Camp Carnival Coke-Tail party Get dressed up and join us for drinks and games!

6:00 - 7:00 PM Closed. Please pick up for dinner

7:00 - 8:00 PM Scattegories and outburst

8:00 - 8:15 PM Meet for the show

8:15 - 9:30 PM Get seated for show time!

9:30 - 10:00 PM Pizza pig out

10:00 - 3:00 AM Slumber party. Pre-arranged baby sitting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY THREE - Day in port

9:00 - 3:00 PM Supervised freeplay

3:00 - 4:00 PM Win, Lose, or Draw

4:00 - 5:00 PM Swim, slide and fun

6:00 - 7:00 PM Closed. Please pick up for dinner

8:30 - 9:30 PM Volleyball

9:30 - 11:00 PM Big screen movie time

11:00 - 11:30 PM Pinata time - candy grabbing fun

11:30 - 3:00 AM Slumber party. Pre-arranged baby sitting

DAY FOUR - Day at sea

10:00 - 10:30 AM Breakfast with your friends

10:30 - 12:00 PM Ceremonial; arts and crafts

12:00 - 2:00 PM Freeplay. Please pick up for lunch

2:00 - 2:30 PM Talent show sign-up and practice

2:30 - 2:45 PM Photos with Corey's exotic birds

2:45 - 3:30 PM Autograph hunt

3:30 - 3:45 PM Meet for the galley tour

3:45 - 4:00 PM Galley tour (visit the ship's kitchen)

10:15 - 11:15 PM Guest talent show

11:15 - 12:15 AM Open disco for all guests

12:15 - 12:30 AM Meet for the buffet

12:30 - 1:30 AM Late night buffet

DAY SIX - Day in port

3:00 - 4:00 PM Prize bingo

4:00 - 5:00 PM Art contest

6:00 - 7:00 PM Open sitting gala dinner at Lido Bar and Grill

8:30 - 9:00 PM Mock Black Jack

9:00 - 10:00 PM Teen disco

10:00 - 10:15 PM Meet for the show

10:15 - 11:30 PM Get seated for show time

11:30 - 12:00 AM Open disco for all guests

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY SEVEN - Day at sea

9:30 - 10:00 AM Farewell breakfast

10:00 - 11:00 AM Talent show rehearsal

11:00 - 12:00 PM Trivia games and Name That Tune

1:30 - 2:00 PM Dance class with a ship dancer

2:00 - 3:00 PM Camp Carnival Talent Show. All parents are invited.

3:00 - 3:30 PM Shuffle board tournament

8:30 - 9:00 PM Last pizza pig-out

9:00 - 10:00 PM Farewell party

10:00 - 12:00 AM Last chance to dance

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The age group is actually 12-14 now. The PVP has old information but it does give you an idea of the activities. Anyway, I don't know how to link to another thread so I'll give the step by step instructions to a link to the 12-14 Camp Carnival Capers posted by Serene56.

Go to Family Cruising. Search for Camp Carnival Capers. Select the thread entitled "cruising with teens" started by BOGFORCE. In this thread, Serene56 has a link to the 12-14 Camp Carnival Capers----the capers she brought home from a recent cruise. (she also links to other age groups, for those interested)

The problem with the 12-14 group is that if they do not have enough in the group, they lump them with the older teens. This happened to us on the Glory. My 12 yo who had turned 12 just the week before was very uncomfortable with this and didn't do any activities at all.

WE were recently on the truimph. MY daughter is almost 12, so she stayed with the 9-11 year olds. Most nights they took the kids to the shows. On the capers posted where it lists"slumber Party form 10 to 3pm." It should say"quiet time-movie time".they put all the kids together and watch a movie. They were not allowed to play with toys at this time.

the older kids seemed to hang out around the pool. My daughter met friends the 2nd day and they hung out together, just not in camp carnival much. Not many of them seem to like it much. The capers listed are defiantly not what we experienced 3 weeks ago. we were disapointed with camp, even for my 7 yr. old.

The kids will have a great time. they will make friends and be fine.

Have fun

Michele

http://community.webshots.com/album/299741566PLYKOu

Here are the camp papers. We were told that the activities are fleetwide and the times vary but the activiies are the same.

Big Duck-- shame that she didnt try the younger program.

Did she go to the teen metting the first night??

Big Duck-- shame that she didnt try the younger program.

I tried to get her into one of the activities with her younger sister. All I got was a strange look from the counselor.

Did she go to the teen metting the first night??

Yes, that's where we learned about the switch. Her decision not to participate was fine by me. I wouldn't have been happy about her hangin' around with older teen boys unsupervised.

I wouldn't have been happy about her hangin' around with older teen boys unsupervised.

Spoken like a true parent---lol camp is not for all kids. Like your daughter it is a uncomfortable situation. What did she do all week? Did she like cruising?

Spoken like a true parent---lol camp is not for all kids. Like your daughter it is a uncomfortable situation. What did she do all week? Did she like cruising?

Read, Arcade, Read, Sun, Read, eat, Read, went to dance class with mom. Oh did I mention she likes to read :D :D :D

http://community.webshots.com/photo/354710624/354721499xTtWua

edited to add link.

Cute-- good thing ya kept her away from those boys too. Did she take her books with her on the cruise?? or did she use the Library?

I see you are sailing the Sensation== MY favorite ship. Kids going too?

Cute-- good thing ya kept her away from those boys too. Did she take her books with her on the cruise?? or did she use the Library?

I see you are sailing the Sensation== MY favorite ship. Kids going too?

Smart as a whip too, definately not from my end of the gene pool. Brought her own, her birthday was the week before and she got most of the "Narnia" series for her BD.

Kids too it's March Break week up here.

BTW, she is fluent in French and almost fluent in English.

Didn't join Camp Carnival this year or the previous year on another line....I guess he's getting to old. Anyway, he and my older son would go the first night, meet people, then go swimming, play cards, basketball, etc., with friends. They haven't used the formal activities for the past few cruises.

Also, the last cruise he had 2 of his best friends cruising with him. At a certain age I think they use the camps to meet people, then go off with a group.

They still have a ball, and cruising is still their favorite vacation. Kids LOVE cruises!

Archived