Overnight in Houston or Galveston? Transportation?

zumbalover

My hubby and I are flying into Houston (George Bush) 3 days before our cruise in March. We arrive at 10PM and I'm trying to decide if we should stay in Houston overnight (hotel suggestions welcomed!), spend the next day doing something in Houston (suggestions?), then later in the day make our way to a hotel in Galveston and spending the following day doing something in Galveston. We would have a full day in Houston, two nights in Galveston, and one full day in Galveston. Our alternative is to go directly to Galveston the night we fly in and then have two full days to do something or relax in Galveston. Thoughts anyone?

Also, I know there has been a lot of information previously posted about transportation from Hobby, but does anyone have any suggestions for transportation for 2 from George Bush? Thanks.

Going directly to Galveston is your best choice. Houston is too spread out for a short visit. However, if you decide to overnite there the best location would be the Galleria with a multitude of big and small stores and restaurants. There's a Westin in the complex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Galleria

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1053

Galveston has a number of sites to visit, notably Moody Gardens and the Pleasure Pier. I recommend the Tremont Hotel. It's ideally located in the Strand, walking distance to shops and the cruise port. My personal favorite is The Galvez Hotel, but it's distant from the attractions and the center of town.

http://www.galveston.com/islandhotels/

Browse the above web site. It has everything the visitor would want to know about Galveston.:)

My hubby and I are flying into Houston (George Bush) 3 days before our cruise in March. We arrive at 10PM and I'm trying to decide if we should stay in Houston overnight (hotel suggestions welcomed!), spend the next day doing something in Houston (suggestions?), then later in the day make our way to a hotel in Galveston and spending the following day doing something in Galveston. We would have a full day in Houston, two nights in Galveston, and one full day in Galveston. Our alternative is to go directly to Galveston the night we fly in and then have two full days to do something or relax in Galveston. Thoughts anyone?

Also, I know there has been a lot of information previously posted about transportation from Hobby, but does anyone have any suggestions for transportation for 2 from George Bush? Thanks.

We are flying from Los Angeles to IAH in March for a cruise. We land late on a Friday night and the cruise starts Saturday. Instead of worrying about getting to Galveston Friday night, we are staying at the Marriott right at IAH. I understand it's nothing fancy but we will only be there for 12 hours and I am sure it will be fine for what our needs are. We opted for a limo transfer on Saturday from Houston to the port (Extreme Elegance). There are 6 of us and the cost for a 10 passenger stretch was about $50/person. Post-cruise, we are renting a car in Galveston and plan on spending the day exploring since our flight home is at 7:30 PM. We hope to visit the Hotel Galvez first and then to spend some time at the Space Center in Houston before returning the car at IAH.

We have cruised out of Galveston four times. We still haven't seen everything! My recommendation would be go straight to Galveston. I prefer the Hilton on the Seawall side of the island. They have a shuttle to the terminal the day of your cruise. The people watching is great, you are close to a lot of food choices, you can go to pleasure pier or just be lazy walking on the beach.

Enjoy!

Archived