Galveston hotels- which are *cheap*and clean?

dkc1973

I'm researching hotels since we are thinking about spending two nights in town before our cruise in October. Our only real requirement other than that its clean is that its close enough to walk to the beach since one of us has never been to a beach.

I see that some hotels are already booked for our dates so I think we need to book soon but our budgets are quite tight for the next couple months.

Can anyone recommend any of the cheaper (less than $100 per night) hotels? Some of those places have pretty bad reviews online.

Thank you!

Depends what night of the week you want to book. Weekends are much more expensive.

Gaidos is an older establishment, but has great reviews, across the street from the beach. Quality Inn & Suites and Country Inn & Suites good, but can get pricey.

Inn at the Waterpark, good reviews, but is not close to the Beach.

We like Gaidos Seaside Inn...its reasonably priced, clean, and has very good restraunts there. Its not gonna be a fancy place, but plenty good enough for us. If you are staying before or after a cruise, be sure to mention to them you want the cruise special...it gets you a discount off your room rate and a meal in one of their two restraunts...and, of course free parking while on the cruise. They also have a free breakfast...its not gonna be anything like I-Hop, but its not bad.:)

Agree 100% -- tripadvisor is the way to go for candid reviews on just about everything travel related, but especially hotels.

I use Trip Advisor also! I'm sure Gaido's is a clean place, but it is a motel, not a hotel. The rooms overlook the parking lot at Gaido's. I know they have refurbished the pool area. We were there in Sept. for lunch.

I use Trip Advisor also! I'm sure Gaido's is a clean place, but it is a motel, not a hotel. The rooms overlook the parking lot at Gaido's. I know they have refurbished the pool area. We were there in Sept. for lunch.

Gaidos rooms do overlook the parking lot, but if you get a second-floor room ( we always do ), you have a nice view of the water. We have sat outside the room several times and watched the surfers and the waves...its relaxing! :)

Yes, Gaidos is a motel!

I would stay there now,

and have stayed a few times at Gaidos.

Especially, if I were looking for cheap and clean!

It does have a legendary restaurant also.

I’m 69 and have been eating at Gaidos

with my parents and grandparents since I was young kid.

We will be going to Pelican Club at Gaidos Friday nite for my birthday!!

I love Rudy and Pacos and also others like Saltwater and Olympia.

Rudy and Pacos was named one of the top 100 restaurants in the US.

However, this weekend The Oak Ridge Boys

are singing next door at the 1894 Grand Opry House

and Rudy and Pacos will be packed!

If I were traveling to Galveston,

there are deals off internet travel sites

and also thru bidding.

And I would be bidding and hoping for one of better Hotels!

Like for The Tremont House, Galvez, Harbor House, San Luis, or Moody Gardens.

Best of luck to everyone traveling and enjoy your cruises

Thank you everyone. I'll be doing more research this weekend. Unfortunately our booking is on hold until one of our group gets their income tax refund figured to be sure she can afford to go. I guess if nothing else we can book a room in Texas City. I've done that before and it's not that big a deal but it sure would be nice to be closer to the beach and Galveston attractions.

thanks again!

We stayed at the Commodore a couple of weeks ago and I was very satisfied. All of the upper rooms have balconies and face the beach. Parking looks like it could be a problem but that's any hotel there. It's between Joe's Crab Shack and Gaido's so you can walk to either easily. It's also relatively close to Pleasure Pier, you could walk it if you wanted.

Sure it's a very old hotel but they have LCD tvs with a few channels, plenty of hot water, it was clean and the desk help was very nice. My only real complaints were with the climate control being finicky and due to the weather the door seals were whistling. For $70 a night though you aren't beating it. That and they do free cookies and milk in the evening as well as a small breakfast.

Personally I'd get a bottom floor room for convenience next time btw. No balcony but the door opens to the pool area and is right next to the lobby.

Archived