Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

When they ask why did your lady get kicked off the ship? < I could say ..."I'm not at liberty to discuss it ...but..."

"you haven't adjusted that automatic gratuity have you ?" ~OR~

"The adult only deck has changed,you know that don't you ?..topless doesn't mean..." :eek:

~OR~ "you know that hallway on B deck with the do not enter sign ? "

~OR~ " The Lido buffet has very strict queuing up rules"

~OR~ " Same reason she ran off with that cook from Papua New Guinea"

Now that's funny

Greg:D lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmm....have you noticed that on the forms at doctors' offices, they ask for both your birth date and your age? There is a reason for this -- they are checking for your mental state. If you know your birth date but don't know how old you are, you may be experiencing early onset alzheimer's or other memory issues. It's a little test...

I actually have to think for a second when writing down my age because I don't feel 45 :D I know "age is just a number" but dang, aren't you supposed to be all over the hill and "middle aged" at 45, not gallivanting about the globe solo :D

I've had a few awkward solo moments on cruises, usually finding myself unsure of how to respond to someone who calls me "brave" :confused:

However, the most awkward moment that comes to mind though was a land vacation to Australia. I spent two and a half weeks traveling by myself. It was truly the trip of a lifetime. I was so excited to find a really great deal on a room at the Hotel Windsor in Melbourne, a fancy schmancy 5-star old hotel complete with a doorman in a top hat. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone, BUT, the doorman seemed so concerned that I was by myself and inquired about my relationship/parental status. When I responded that I'd never been married or had children, but enjoyed seeing the world by myself, he said something along the lines of "well you're young, there's still plenty of time". I was 42 at the time and had already decided that kids would not be part of my life after the age of 40. He made comments about my solo status a few times, and I never really figured out how to respond.

It really bothers me when people make comments like "you still have time" and "plenty of women have kids well into their 40's". Well, good for them :mad: Having babies at my age (now almost 46) is ridiculous for me. I'm not knocking others who do it (a college friend just had her first child at 45), but it is NOT for me at this point and yes, it is a big disappointment that things never worked out when I was younger but it just got to a point that it was no longer an option. Life goes on.

I guess the people who bother me the most are the married couples with kids/grandkids who think that if you're not married with a bunch of kids/grandkids that you are somehow a lesser human being. I was actually told something along those lines by a co-worker once :rolleyes: Thankfully, he was moved out of my group and I no longer have to speak to him at the office.

• Like 1

I actually have to think for a second when writing down my age because I don't feel 45 I know "age is just a number" but dang, aren't you supposed to be all over the hill and "middle aged" at 45, not gallivanting about the globe solo

I've had a few awkward solo moments on cruises, usually finding myself unsure of how to respond to someone who calls me "brave" :confused:

However, the most awkward moment that comes to mind though was a land vacation to Australia. I spent two and a half weeks traveling by myself. It was truly the trip of a lifetime. I was so excited to find a really great deal on a room at the Hotel Windsor in Melbourne, a fancy schmancy 5-star old hotel complete with a doorman in a top hat. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone, BUT, the doorman seemed so concerned that I was by myself and inquired about my relationship/parental status. When I responded that I'd never been married or had children, but enjoyed seeing the world by myself, he said something along the lines of "well you're young, there's still plenty of time". I was 42 at the time and had already decided that kids would not be part of my life after the age of 40. He made comments about my solo status a few times, and I never really figured out how to respond.

It really bothers me when people make comments like "you still have time" and "plenty of women have kids well into their 40's". Well, good for them :mad: Having babies at my age (now almost 46) is ridiculous for me. I'm not knocking others who do it (a college friend just had her first child at 45), but it is NOT for me at this point and yes, it is a big disappointment that things never worked out when I was younger but it just got to a point that it was no longer an option. Life goes on.

I guess the people who bother me the most are the married couples with kids/grandkids who think that if you're not married with a bunch of kids/grandkids that you are somehow a lesser human being. I was actually told something along those lines by a co-worker once :rolleyes: Thankfully, he was moved out of my group and I no longer have to speak to him at the office.

Can't say that I always act my age ( the water-slides on ships). I get called "brave" at times, but I'm not so sure that it is a complement. They are likely thinking " you are brave to be goofy and proud of it " :D

Married people tend to exclude single people. I've had friends who get into a relationship and dump me out like yesterday's trash. OUCH ! :( I suppose marriage or serious relationships require a different physiological wiring in the brain. For pushing 50, I don't think I that could change my thinking enough for marriage/serious relationships. Me and the cat live a happy life thank you very much. :)

Edited by Thoth

Good lies don't embellish, they stick to the main fact without a lot of extraneous details.

Entertaining lies, on the other hand, are much more fun, and can ramble on indefinitely.

"So, there we were, 5am, waiting for the taxi to arrive to get us to the airport for 6am. Now, usually it's a 20 minute drive, but you just can't ever tell, so himself said we'd book it for 5, though I thought 5:15 would be early enough, but anyway, he won, and we're waiting for the taxi. Next thing, he's going through his checklist, and suddenly remembers his passport, so he legs it up the stairs, and runs around like a mad thing, pulling out drawers, upending baskets, asking me where I've put his passport.

Now the taxi's arrived, and he suddenly yells "found it", and tears down the stairs. He puts the passport down on the hall table, and runs into the kitchen to do a final check that the cooker is switched off and the doors are locked. I start heading out to the taxi, gathering my own paperwork as I go, and bringing the suitcases out. We finally set off, but we're not ten minutes up the road when he starts patting his pockets. He didn't pick up his passport. So back we go. At this stage we decide the best thing is for me to go ahead and check in, and he can follow me when he finds his passport. So off I go again. Anyway, long story short, he can't find it for love nor money, so he's stuck at home, while I'm off on the cruise. And of course, guess what I found in my handbag when I got to security on the other end?!"

Good lies don't embellish, they stick to the main fact without a lot of extraneous details.

Entertaining lies, on the other hand, are much more fun, and can ramble on indefinitely.

"So, there we were, 5am, waiting for the taxi to arrive to get us to the airport for 6am. Now, usually it's a 20 minute drive, but you just can't ever tell, so himself said we'd book it for 5, though I thought 5:15 would be early enough, but anyway, he won, and we're waiting for the taxi. Next thing, he's going through his checklist, and suddenly remembers his passport, so he legs it up the stairs, and runs around like a mad thing, pulling out drawers, upending baskets, asking me where I've put his passport.

Now the taxi's arrived, and he suddenly yells "found it", and tears down the stairs. He puts the passport down on the hall table, and runs into the kitchen to do a final check that the cooker is switched off and the doors are locked. I start heading out to the taxi, gathering my own paperwork as I go, and bringing the suitcases out. We finally set off, but we're not ten minutes up the road when he starts patting his pockets. He didn't pick up his passport. So back we go. At this stage we decide the best thing is for me to go ahead and check in, and he can follow me when he finds his passport. So off I go again. Anyway, long story short, he can't find it for love nor money, so he's stuck at home, while I'm off on the cruise. And of course, guess what I found in my handbag when I got to security on the other end?!"

Yep, they would believe that. :)

LOL!!! I have to share...

Just ran into someone this morning who said, "I heard you're going on a cruise?? By YOURSELF????"

Me: Yeah, it's going to be a lot of fun and great relaxation time.

Her: But aren't you afraid of getting sick?

Me : um...no...I'm pretty healthy...

HER: But what if you get sick when you're by yourself???

Me: I'll have to call Room Service to open the Pepto Bismol I guess. You're right, I shouldn't go.

:rolleyes:

Just ran into someone this morning who said, "I heard you're going on a cruise?? By YOURSELF????"

Me: I'll have to call Room Service to open the Pepto Bismol I guess. You're right, I shouldn't go.

Eww. With one exception (when I hurt my back last year, and couldn't get out of bed to let the doctor in), I'd prefer to be sick alone. Particularly if I'm going to throw up.

• Like 2

You could respond when asked "Do you have kids?" "Just me. I baby myself."

To which I say "Good for you". Be proud not ashamed of your lifestyle choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

:confused:

What lifestyle choice? I would have LOVED to be a Mom. Not every outcome in life is the result of a choice. Sometimes we just have to play the hand we are dealt. Not everyone out there understands this. Totally sick of looks of pity from the cruising parents out there thinking they are somehow superior to me.

• Like 1

What lifestyle choice? I would have LOVED to be a Mom. Not every outcome in life is the result of a choice. Sometimes we just have to play the hand we are dealt. Not everyone out there understands this. Totally sick of looks of pity from the cruising parents out there thinking they are somehow superior to me.

I know it's not the same, but I was a single mother for most of my daughter's life. I also received those same, disapproving looks. Especially on cruises. One lady told me that if I was on welfare, I shouldn't be cruising.

Welfare???? Wha??? I was never on welfare...it was her assumption. So, I feel you ....I understand what you're saying.

I agree with you 100%. One has to accept the hand one is dealt. You made a choice based on that hand. I mean to be supportive. I certainly did not mean any offence.

I know it's not the same, but I was a single mother for most of my daughter's life. I also received those same, disapproving looks. Especially on cruises. One lady told me that if I was on welfare, I shouldn't be cruising.

Welfare???? Wha??? I was never on welfare...it was her assumption. So, I feel you ....I understand what you're saying.

Ha ha! That's as bad as people assuming that single women sailing alone (or even sometimes with another woman) are lesbians. :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%. One has to accept the hand one is dealt. You made a choice based on that hand. I mean to be supportive. I certainly did not mean any offence.

I understand, not a problem :)

You're awesome! :)

those who never cruise think that cruise ships are tiny little skiff-boats or something. Like i'm going in the ocean in a rowboat for something. :eek: The bigger the ship the better the ride and these are some huge ships. ;)

those who never cruise think that cruise ships are tiny little skiff-boats or something. Like i'm going in the ocean in a rowboat for something. :eek: The bigger the ship the better the ride and these are some huge ships. ;)

Agreed! LOL...What does she think I do at home when I'm sick...I'm alone there too....rofl! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Agreed! LOL...What does she think I do at home when I'm sick...I'm alone there too....rofl! :rolleyes:

Yeah and at home, I could go a few days without someone knowing I was sick. At least on a ship, folk at my table would notice I wasn't there and with cabin stewards calling twice a day, they notice too. And cabin stewards do notice and care. Was under the weather with a chest infection and decided to skip dinner and put out the don't disturb sign. Next morning still hadn't ventured out and my steward was at my door apologising for disturbing me but concerned I'd been holed up in my cabin for so long. He wanted to make sure I was ok and if I needed him to get me anything. As it turned out I didn't as I'd already been to the medical centre and the doctor was checking up on me a few times a day.

Admittedly I would nt want to get seriously I'll on a ship and need a medivac, but normal illness, you're better off on a ship than on a land holiday or home on your own.

• Like 1

My worst awkward moment was being seated as the 8th person, with 7 from the same family. Fastest meal I've ever eaten on a ship, but thankfully only for one night!

I've been on 9 solo cruises so far (#10 booked for the summer). I no longer think of myself as anything but a cruiser ( I just happen to be on my own). I just enjoy the ship and the people I meet are a bonus.

In my experience I've mainly chatted to couples (in most cases they seem happy to have someone new to talk to). You have the people on the table next to you at dinner (I often ask for a table for one but share sometimes too), the people you meet on the shore excursions, the ones sat next to you in the theatre, and your favourite bar crowd at the end of the night. By the last night I always have loads of people to say goodbye to.

After you've got past the "you are brave" question (I think staying at home on my own forever would be far scarier than seeing the World alone!), the fact that you can have the "how many times have you cruised", "where did you go today" etc questions as ice breakers every day if need be is great.

I've been on package holidays alone too, but cruises are so much better when you are fed, pampered and entertained and have a relatively small bunch of people to get to know. Love them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

no help needed for ~THAT :o nope ! I can do this all by myself :eek:

Once I did get to that point and I was all alone which was frightening, being the day before I was to fly home. This was not seasickness but a migraine headache which cleared up and I felt fine the next day flying home.

Yeah and at home, I could go a few days without someone knowing I was sick. At least on a ship, folk at my table would notice I wasn't there and with cabin stewards calling twice a day, they notice too. And cabin stewards do notice and care. Was under the weather with a chest infection and decided to skip dinner and put out the don't disturb sign. Next morning still hadn't ventured out and my steward was at my door apologising for disturbing me but concerned I'd been holed up in my cabin for so long. He wanted to make sure I was ok and if I needed him to get me anything. As it turned out I didn't as I'd already been to the medical centre and the doctor was checking up on me a few times a day.

Admittedly I would nt want to get seriously I'll on a ship and need a medivac, but normal illness, you're better off on a ship than on a land holiday or home on your own.

Yep, the crew are wonderful, and if I miss a night at dinner the whole table demands an explanation. I like that part= being missed. :)

My worst awkward moment was being seated as the 8th person, with 7 from the same family. Fastest meal I've ever eaten on a ship, but thankfully only for one night!

I've been on 9 solo cruises so far (#10 booked for the summer). I no longer think of myself as anything but a cruiser ( I just happen to be on my own). I just enjoy the ship and the people I meet are a bonus.

In my experience I've mainly chatted to couples (in most cases they seem happy to have someone new to talk to). You have the people on the table next to you at dinner (I often ask for a table for one but share sometimes too), the people you meet on the shore excursions, the ones sat next to you in the theatre, and your favourite bar crowd at the end of the night. By the last night I always have loads of people to say goodbye to.

After you've got past the "you are brave" question (I think staying at home on my own forever would be far scarier than seeing the World alone!), the fact that you can have the "how many times have you cruised", "where did you go today" etc questions as ice breakers every day if need be is great.

I've been on package holidays alone too, but cruises are so much better when you are fed, pampered and entertained and have a relatively small bunch of people to get to know. Love them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How about being the only one who spoke English as a first language ? That happened ONE night out of San Juan when I was placed at a table with Spanish speakers. I've been the odd "man" out on occasions...the only male at a table.

You are correct...it is far better to see the world as a solo than to sit at home all alone. Plus on a ship, I'm never really alone ;)

How about being the only one who spoke English as a first language ? That happened ONE night out of San Juan when I was placed at a table with Spanish speakers. I've been the odd "man" out on occasions...the only male at a table.

You are correct...it is far better to see the world as a solo than to sit at home all alone. Plus on a ship, I'm never really alone ;)

Only male at the table :eek: how did that go ?

It can be fun. Last Nov. I was on the Elation out of New Orleans and on the second evening before dinner (at the Casino Bar) I met a couple of women my age who were cruising together. When she found out I was cruising solo she invited me to join them at their table which had an empty seat. I was not happy with my first night seating (two elderly widows) so I gladly accepted. When we arrived at the table she announced with her Southern accent "I found us a man!" It turned out to be a table with 7 women (5 50ish friends and two 30ish daughters- I am 60) I was intimidated at first but within minutes was having a great time. I joined them for dinner for the remainder of the cruise.